Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

MICHIGAN’S CUMMINGS LEADS THE BASS FEDERATION NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Started by djkimmel, March 13, 2009, 01:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

MICHIGAN'S CUMMINGS LEADS THE BASS FEDERATION NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ON BULL SHOALS LAKE

BRANSON, Mo. (March 12, 2009) – Northern Division boater Derek Cummings, 34, from Mason, Mich., leads The Bass Federation National Championship presented by the National Guard after catching five bass weighing 19 pounds, 3 ounces on the opening day at Bull Shoals Lake. The catch was the heaviest of the first day, giving Cummings a slim 4-ounce lead over fellow Northern Division rival Nicholas Smyers of Franksville, Wis., in the race to win the "Living the Dream" $100,000 prize package that includes berths into two of the sport's most coveted events – the $2 million Forrest Wood Cup and the $1 million Walmart Bass Fishing League All-American presented by Chevy.

"I caught fish all day long," said Cummings. "I pulled off my spot around nine this morning and I know there are more there, but I wanted to save them as I knew I had a good sack. I tried some new areas and others that I planned on fishing this tournament and everywhere I pulled up on had fish."

Cumming said he was throwing a crankbait and will continue the same methods tomorrow. "I am going to do the same thing tomorrow," he said. "I am not sure what spot I will head to as I have another spot that is on fire." 

In addition to the incredibly lucrative championship berths, the TBF National Championship will also award $10,000 and a "Living the Dream" prize package to the first-place boater. The package includes use of a "Living the Dream" wrapped Chevy truck and Ranger boat powered either by Evinrude or Yamaha, sponsor merchandise and paid entry fees into the winner's choice of either the 2010 Walmart FLW Tour or Walmart FLW Series to compete against the world's top bass anglers.

Anglers from six nationwide TBF divisions competed during 2008 and qualified through a series of TBF club, TBF state and TBF divisional tournaments to compete in the no-entry-fee TBF National Championship.

Rounding out the division-leading boaters are Brandon Craner of Filer, Idaho (Western Division, 17-3); Daniel Ellis of Gleason, Tenn. (Southern Division, 16-10); Zachary King of Clarksville, Ark. (Central Division, 15-3); Brent McNeal of Huntingdon, Pa. (Mid-Atlantic Division, 14-3); and Jim Gildea of Weston, Mass. (Eastern Division, 12-7).

Overall there were 186 bass weighing 472 pounds, 1 ounce caught by 44 boaters. The catch included 27 five-bass limits.

Mark Modrak of China Township, Mich., led the co-angler challengers Thursday with five bass weighing 13 pounds, 14 ounces. Representing the Northern Division, Modrak caught his limit while fishing with Central Division boater Zachary King. King is currently leading his division with five bass weighing 15 pounds, 3 ounces.

"Being a co-angler is something new to me," Modrak said. "I am used to being in the front of the boat, but my boater today gave me a lot of freedom. I had an excellent boater."

Modrak caught all but one of his fish on a crankbait, with the other on a jerkbait. "My first fish came real quick and then there was a lull," he said. Then about 1:30 [p.m.], they turned on. I have always wanted to fish the All-American, so if I can do good, this could give me the ammunition to fish the FLW Tour or Series."

If Modrak holds on for the win, he will earn a $5,000 cash prize and a berth into the 2009 Forrest Wood Cup for a chance to fish for as much as $50,000. He will also earn a berth into the BFL All-American presented by Chevy along with the top co-angler from each TBF division for a chance to fish for as much as $70,000.

Rounding out the division-leading co-anglers are Kenny Pannell of Springville, Ala. (Southern Division, 13-2); Jerry Necaise of Long Beach, Miss. (Central Division, 12-9); Rueben Williams of Rice, Va. (Mid-Atlantic Division, 12-9); David Martinez of Tucson, Ariz. (Western Division, 7-4); and Chris Bowker of Marshfield, Mass. (Eastern Division, 6-4).

Overall there were 108 bass weighing 227 pounds, 6 ounces caught by 44 co-anglers. The catch included 11 five-bass limits.

K Dock Marina will host takeoff Friday and Saturday at 7 a.m. Anglers will weigh in Friday at 4 p.m. at the Branson Convention Center located at 200 E. Main Street in Branson. Saturday's weigh-in will begin at 3 p.m. at the Branson Convention Center followed by the Walmart FLW Tour weigh-in at 4 p.m. FLW Tour anglers will return to the convention center Sunday for their final weigh-in at 4 p.m.

The entire field of 44 TBF boaters and 44 co-anglers compete Thursday and Friday for an accumulated two-day weight. The top boater and co-angler from each of the TBF's six divisions will advance to Saturday's final round, where the winners will be determined by the heaviest three-day accumulated weight.

In conjunction with the weigh-ins Saturday and Sunday, FLW Outdoors will host a free Family Fun Zone and outdoor show at the Branson Convention Center each day at noon. The Family Fun Zone offers fans a chance to meet their Fantasy Fishing team anglers face-to-face and review the latest products from Berkley, Lowrance, Ranger, Evinrude, Yamaha and other sponsors while children are treated to giveaways, fishing themed games and rides like the Ranger Boat simulator. Children 14 and under visiting the Family Fun Zone on Sunday will receive a free rod and reel combo courtesy of US 97 FM while supplies last. One lucky member of the audience will even win a new Ranger boat courtesy of the Springfield News-Leader that will be given away during the final 4 p.m. weigh-in Sunday, March 15. Admission is free, and you must be present to win.

On Saturday, March 14, musical group and local favorite DoGtag will perform between the TBF Championship weigh-in and the FLW Tour weigh-in at the Branson Convention Center. Legendary artist Moe Bandy will perform prior to the weigh-in on Sunday starting at approximately 3:15 p.m.

In a partnership with Goodwill, FLW Outdoors invites you to drop off your clean, gently-used clothing and household materials at the Branson Convention Center, March 14 and 15 starting at noon. In return, the first 500 to donate will receive a free BP die-cast boat, while supplies last. Donations will be sold at local Goodwill stores to help people with disabilities and other disadvantages receive job training and other important services.

The Bass Federation Inc. (TBF) is owned by those it serves and is dedicated to the sport of fishing. TBF affiliated state federations and their member clubs conduct more than 20,000 fishing, youth and conservation events at the local level each year and have provided the foundation for the entire bass fishing industry for more than 30 years. For more information about The Bass Federation, visit bassfederation.com or call (580) 765-9031.

For more information about FLW Outdoors and its tournaments, visit FLWOutdoors.com or call (270) 252-1000. For more information about FLW Fantasy Fishing and Player's Advantage, visit FantasyFishing.com.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.