Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:51:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tournament Entry: How Much is Too Much

Started by Durand Dan, March 11, 2009, 09:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durand Dan

Tournament entry fees are what guides my participation. My ulimate limit is $100 per boat and most of the time I enter tournaments like, Top Bass which if you buy into the Big Bass and the Option pot is around $80. The ABA, NBAA Overtime and One on One Divisions are also affordable.

What's everyones thoughts on this?

Ranger5Smallie

This is a great question and one I am currently struggling with.  For me I am fortunate that I get "X" amount from my sponsor to pay entry fee's, lodging, or whatever I need.  I live in SE Wi and some of the better trails over here are over $200/boat.  That sucks up my $$ quickly.  I am leaning towards driving back to West MI and fish BBT, NBAA, and some of the other smaller trails.  I will fish NBAA Lake Geneva over here and a few tx's before MI opens but feel I can get more fishing and tx's by driving back towards MI.

You guys are lucky to have so many opportunities and some great trails with lower entries.

skeeterman190

Its good that we have so many opportunities for all levels. But my opinion is that you get what you pay for. im sure that with what you are saying at 200 dollars a team you have huge payouts. Thats what really gets me. the payouts and the money that just comes up missing?? Plus with all the trails you lose participation because so and so has a 50 dollar tourney over a 100-200 dollar tourney. Back to the main question around here id say 150 would be reasonable. Depending on boat numbers and payouts.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Ranger5Smallie

One of the circuits use to give away 3 boats at the championship.  They only had 6 divisions and would take 30 boats.  This year they are giving away $30k to the winner of the classic.  The other circuit that charges $200 is a great group of guys and pays pretty good at the ramp but if you make the classic you receive some good coin.

To answer the original question:  $100/boat for me

dartag

Skeeterman is right there are lots of options.  check out Roy's list. it is close to 1000 events this year.   on Tuesdays there are 17 possible events on his schedule. ( KLBA is not on there ).  looks like friday is the only open day.   for me the weeknight NBAA's work out good.  since i fish most alone or with my son.  i like the low entry fee.  weekend one on ones are another option this year.  there are 2 series in oakland county this year.  Kent and Cass on memorial day are probably the only 100.00 entry fee events for me this year.  unless  Cheetam gets rich selling crankbaits and starts paying for everything.

skeeterman190

Those sound like the tourneys we need here in Michigan. Im not trying to pick on you here but it seems too me that your making a big mistake with not sticking to those local bodies of water and fishing for those big payouts. if you want a good payout for your time, gas,lodging, and tourney fees in Michigan you better be fishing the BFLs.
I drive from Nw Indiana and its a haul to fish most places.(burt and mullet is 5+ hours) Heck if your coming from Wisconsin youd be better off catching the ferry boat from Milwaukee too Muskegon or is it Ludington?? still prolly save you tons of $$ I think i seen you on another site from Missouri?? Midwestbasstourneys or something like that?? U fished the BAU??(if thats not you sorry) I just cant justify driving all that way for pocket change really. I know BBt draws like 70+ boats but what do you get a whopping 1500 for winning and 2000 for the classic?? thats alot of lost money in my eyes. NBAA sounds pretty good and they have a huge classic with tons of prizes if you dont win! If i was u Id take my X amount of sponsor money and invest it more wisely.. Stren, BASS Opens. more competition but more payout..and more exposure...-skeeterman- 
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Ranger5Smallie

Like I said earlier it is a decision that I am struggling with this year.  In the end I am really fortunate in that I get to fish what/where I want.  In todays economy there are a ton of guys this summer that will be sitting on the sidelines.  I really think we are going to see the numbers down.   :'(

In regards to going back to MI, our whole family is back in the Muskegon area, so I am back most of the time anyhow for something.  Yes, we take the ferry quiet often and my tournament partner lives 5 miles from the dock.  So that helps.

skeeterman190

Hey, im not knocking you at all i totally agree the numbers are going to be down this year and a couple more in the future till we can figure this whole economy thing out. youve got a sweet deal with the family here and the ferry is a cool thing to save some money and miles on the truck. I was just stating that any other person sitting in your shoes.. with sponsor money to pay for things wouldn't be wasting it on some tourney in Michigan.. for 2 grand at the most. Im still trying to break into that world with the money part. i have a problem where i take my fishing too serious and forget about the other things.. Its a huge part in if you wanna make it here in this business.-skeeterman- plus we all got the shaft at that BAU deal last year~ i took 4th made 600 bucks and a 1grand gift cert that isnt even good!!!!!!!
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

dashaver63

I think it depends on what you are looking for in a tournament trail when you consider entry fee's. Big payouts or just going out having a good time with a bunch of guy's twice a month and fishing more for bragging rights. I'm fishing a tournament series here close to Sandusky, Ohio that has a $40.00 entry fee that I can fish with my son to introduce him to tournament bass fishing. He's only 14 but he is a big stick when you put a flipping stick in his hand with a black/blue jig. Can't wait for that. But anyway, I would stick to the established trails right now, NBAA, ABA, BFL and others that have a good track record. I would hate to get half way through a season and have a trail fold up because of the economy after I have a grand or so invested. Hopefully the economy gets straightened out soon, I'm gonna miss not fishing the BFL's this year.

dartag

forgot to add the link to Roy's list.  if you can't find something here,  there is always golf. 

http://www.royrandolph.com/fishing/opens.htm

squid

I feel that what you pay should be reflected in payout.  If you are wanting to have fun and meet new ppl, by all means do the $25 - $60 tournaments.  The rewards are just as great at them as they would be if you were paying $100 - $200 for the bigger events. The payouts will be the difference in the reward, but what kind of day will you have?  If you can have fun at either one, and you like both, then you will pay what ever the cost to enjoy your day away from the headaches of life.   

Some are just after the money and some are not.  But you will see all kinds at either one of the events.

jgip087

I'd pay between 100-200 bucks to fish around here if the payout is good, seems 100-125 is where the money is though because of Lake Drive Bass Tour. But man those BFL's are not that great. If you win they are ok but with gas prices like they were if you didn't make the top 3 or 4 places you come out down, still even with where they are today, so it would be cheaper to just go put a lot of practice in on St. Clair and wait for the Stren to come around in my opinion. Off topic but can you take your boat on the Muskegon ferry? A few years ago they wouldn't let you take it across.

www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Ranger5Smallie

Quote from: jgip087 on March 12, 2009, 05:09:02 PM
Off topic but can you take your boat on the Muskegon ferry? A few years ago they wouldn't let you take it across.

I dont think you can take your boat across.  If you could it would be really expensive.  When I take it across I take some tackle and throw 4-5 rods in a travel tube.  My partner in Muskegon has a boat and we throw alot of the same baits.