Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Pouring Lead Molds ?

Started by LAPORTE, March 05, 2009, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

Hello All,

I'm just starting to pour my tub jigs and drop shot molds... Can anyone help with some advice on how to make this run smoother ? I just fired up the production pot and guess what it drips....what a mess..... not counting on the splater when it drips and burning me. also when you take out the drop shot weights, how do you cut off the gate .... I used a pair of side cutters but they leave a sharp edge.on the bottom of the pencil weight...
what are your thoughts ....

Don L 

2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

BryanP

Take a pair of pliers or a screw driver and turn the screw at the top of the rod that extends into the pot and controls the flow of lead. 

And instead of using gate cutters, take pliers and twist/break off the sprue instead of cutting it off.  Do that and they'll look perfect.

Bender

When ours is heating up with lead in it there is also a bad drip. The first time I ended up with over a pound of lead on the table before I caught it! Now I keep the whole thing sitting in a cookie sheet just in case.
I have tried all the suggestions about keeping the lead clean, etc. to try to stop this but they don't work for me. The only thing that does is as soon as the lead starts to warm up and you get the first drop out (or before, if you can time it right) I take something and hit the end of the screw to seat the plunger in the spout. Everybody says not to do this since it will damage the pot, but I haven't had any problems yet, just don't hit it too hard.
As far as drips between pour the method Brian suggested works well, just turn it back and forth a couple of times. Have you tried fluxing the lead to clean it up?
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

LAPORTE

I have not tried to clean the pot. I does have alot of crap in it from sitting around. I might try to sand blast the thing clean. I emptyed it out last night just playing around....

Don L

joshimoto son

Don,

regarding the dripping problem. Warm up your pot SLOWLY. what's happening is the lead is warming from the bottom up.
As the lead on the bottom is melted first... the rod is suspended in the portions that are still solid. I know this... I've seen me do it!

Start your pot out at 1/3 to 1/2 the setting you would normally pour at and walk away for 10 minutes. Let the lead warm up and then bump it up one more time before you pour the coals to it. You will still get a few drips, but it won't run away from you.

Add that to what Bryan and Bender said and you'll look like a professional in no time.

Also, One of the suggestions I heard/read about was useing parafin wax to clean the lead. I tried it and it took a month for the hair to grow back on my arm. That stuff spontaneously combusts! After the flames went out, I really couldn't tell any difference in the quality of the lead.

Depending on what you're using for lead (tire weights etc.) it may be a good idea to try to use another source of heat to clean the majority the impurities out. This has decreased the amount of problems I've had with the pot clogging or dripping.

good luck, BE SAFE, have fun

joshimoto son  ;D

Hooksetter

Yeah, what Josh said. I discovered that trick last year also.

As far as cutting the gate, I use a pair of gate cutters. I start the cut at the back end of the jig and swivel the jig towards the cutters as I complete the cut. They come out pretty clean this way.

If you are having a problem with the lead releasing from the mold take a candle and blacken the mold with the candle flame. The lead will release alot easier.

I also pre-heat the mold with a heat gun. This helps the first few pours flow alot smoother.

As far as dirty lead, I bought some lead on Ebay and it is the cleanest lead I have ever seen. I have gone through 75 lbs so far with VERY little waste or contaminates or problems clogging the valve. Very clean stuff!

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

ranger619

Don
as far as the drips go, you can also take a small wire and run it up the spout to clear any obstruction that might be holding your plunger up. use a pair of needle nose pliers and just run it up and down  a couple of times. for the spurs get a good set of gate cutters from. Jan's or stamina , barrlow's the will all carry them. about $10 buck's.
good luck brian ;)

champion_206

Don, I been pouring for years, call me if you need help or need any lead, you know who this is  ::)
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

Get_the_net

Can anyone let me know if I can melt tire weights and clean the lead then pour ingots for future use into a stainless steel measuring cup?  Will the lead bond to the stainless steel?  If so, what else can I use to make ingots?

AMAST77

An old muffin tin works best because the cavities are tapered outward. To answer your original question, no the lead will not bond to the stainless and should work alright.

Get_the_net

Quote from: AMAST77 on March 14, 2009, 10:28:28 PM
An old muffin tin works best because the cavities are tapered outward. To answer your original question, no the lead will not bond to the stainless and should work alright.

By 'old' muffin tin do you mean one that is made of tin?  The only ones I can find are all the dark non stick type and I have heard if you put molten lead in those, the lead will bond to the 'non stick' coating and you will have to destroy the pan to get the ingots out.

Another thing I want to know is does anyone use an old saucepan on a propane stove, single burner portable electric stove or grill side burner to melt lead?  I would not think they get hot enough...

Thanks!

AMAST77

My pan has a non stick coating and the lead has no effect on it, suprisingly.
To melt down the large pieces of lead we used a turkey fryer. I havent tried a range.

kmrlures

Don, You are having problems that many have and will always have with gravity pour pots. Does not mean that do it yourself pouring can't be rewarding and cost effective, just a price you pay in that area. However there are things you can do to increase your success.
1. The type of lead you use.
2. What molds you are using
3. What melting pot you purchased.
4. Are you pouring for your oun use or Production.
5. Ect... Ect... Ect...

I started a business 23 years ago with a gravaty feed pot and hand molds and had the same problem. (and mant others)There are solutions to reduce the problem but no real fix to elimate the problem entirely.
I would be happy to discuss the problem you are having and even help reduce the problem if you would like to give me a call to discuss it. To many questions and to many answers to discuss here. feel free to give me a call anytime.
Joe Rummelt.
KMR Lure design.
231-689-0992
kmrlure.com

LAPORTE

Thanks for the note Ill give you a call once I get thru this mess call a grad party. for my son ....lol

Don L