Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 31, 2024, 10:09:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Glass Rods -Vs- Your average Graphite stick

Started by LAPORTE, January 22, 2009, 02:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

Good Afternoon All

I would like to start cranking but after watching the world's greatest fishing show. I ask all of you and your great wisdom. What do you think the biggest difference is between a std. 7' MH  Shimmano and a Glass rod from say Powell rod co. I have only been fishing for 3 years is there something I'm missing out on here ....Zona I think was throwing a half and half rod ...

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

t-bone

I bought that quantum KVD cranking rod for the upcoming season to use. It is an interesting rod and is specific for cranking. The nice thing is it isn't out of control in terms of price given the features. It is $150ish.

link removed

It is a combo rod of graphite and glass. Has a split handle. The only thing that will take a bit of getting used to is the diameter of the rod towards the base is big. Almost looks like a pool cue but it's light and I like the feel.

Might be an option.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Cheetam

To generalize the differences, graphite is lighter and more sensitive.  Fiberglass is heavier, less sensitive and more "forgiving".  That being said, personally, I think a rod's action is more important than what it is made of.  I have had cranking rods made of fiberglass, and rods made with graphite, and honestly, if you get something with a moderate action, it will be a good cranking rod (although I prefer something with more of a moderate/fast action for traps).  I could argue that my MM 7' St. Croix Avid Cranking rod is just as "forgiving" as a 7'0 MM St. Croix Pro Glass rod when fighting a fish, but can also argue that the Glass rebounds slower than the graphite when casting.  As for "blended" rods, I can't really comment, I haven't used one.
Jeff

thedude

most factory crankbait rods are composite blanks made up of a mix of fiberglass and graphite. All rods have fiberglass in them to a certain degree, the lower the modulus the higher fiberglass content. The uber-high modulus rods may be close to if not zero.
Its kind of a con really, we pay top dollar for "high modulus" graphite rods and then they rename the low modulus stuff "composite" and charge just as much because its a "cranking blank"

thats said - composite rods will be more sensitive because of the graphite content when compared to cheap 100% E-glass rod. S-glass rods on the other hand are a higher quality and 100% glass. The thing that makes a good cranking stick is a moderate-slow action. Allowing the rod to bend deep into the mid section. This absorbs a lot of the shock and strain when fishing a bait with treble hooks and will save you from lost fish. i have a higher end s-glass that i love, i also have some composites that are great, lightweight and sensitive...
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

I throw cranks regularly everywhere I go.  I will always have at least 2 or 3 tied on.  I only use graphite rods for my cranks.  I am a big fan of the G Loomis crank bait rods.  I know they are pricey but they are worth it!  I think a quality graphite crank bait rod is the best of the both worlds.  You get the sensitivity of graphite and the bend and flexibility that fiberglass has.  I have tried one of the BPS Crankin' Sticks after using a Loomis and I fished it once and sold it.  I don't know if that is a graphite/glass combo or just a POS but I hated it.

I would be willing to check out any other crank bait rod.  Most rod companies make a dedicated cranking rod these days, Powell, Shimano and several others.

T-bone, I will curious your opinion on that Quantum.

What is everyone else using for cranks?

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

thedude

cy - the older bps crankin sticks are e-glass which is lowgrade stuff. i have  MH one i use for DD22s serves its purpose i guess
Palehorse Custom Rods

TCook

I been using the G Loomis CBR845C and love it. The next rod I will be adding to the arsenal is the G Loomis CBR903C for long casts with deeper diving cranks to get in the strike zone longer. Its a medium rod with mod-fast action which should be similar to a glass rod when it comes to staying hooked up, but more sensative as Cy said.
FISH HARD!!!

Got Fish??

Fighting a fish on a glass rod is a riot. there is nothing better than watching the pole bend and whip around. But for finding fish graphite is my choice hands down . You can feel the fish better, and you can feel the bottom, rocks,wood,sand ,hard or soft. If you ask me . I think you should have both!

Got Fish??

Oh and by the way, what do you mean by average graphite? When I was a kid Glass rods were a stapel. We did not have the tech. that we have to day. It's funny how history repets it's self.

Lightningboy

Well, here's my .02. 

When I decided to learn cranks I did a whole winter of research on rods and line.  Along with what I know from rodbuilding, I've learned a great deal on cranking sticks.

The glass vs. graphite debate can go on forever, but more important is the construction and flex of the blank.  Good S-glass with minimal scrim makes a fine rod that's fairly sensitive, more than a cheap graphite blank that's heavy on the epoxy.  The blank needs the right mixture of power in the butt, and flex along the blank.  How deep the flex should go is debateable, but most like a moderate flex for cranking.  Please note that has nothing to do with power; a MH & ML can have exactly the same flex.

The flex allows the rod to work as a shock absorber during the fight.  Cranks have little hooks that can tear out easily.  When a bass surges the blank flexes to reduce the stress.  I think this is why a lot of good cranking rods get a bad rep; you've got to let the rod fight the fish.

When I fight a bass on a crank the butt end is tucked between my elbow and hip.  The reel is palmed with my hand near my thigh so it can rest against it when I want to.  I keep my knees flexed, hold the rod still, and bring the fish in.  Don't fight the bass, let the rod flex fight for you.

Something else to consider is line.  Most guys opt for a thin, low stretch mono.  Since the line stretches during the fight, stretchy mono on a slow action rod can feel like a rubber band.  If you're worried about sensitivity, crank with fluoro or braid.

Here's what I throw with:

Custom on a Seeker BS706 blank.  An absolutely great S-glass rod that throws traps, medium & deep divers.  You wouldn't know it was glass except for the fat blank.

Custom on a Seeker BS704 blank.  Throws from 1/4-3/4 oz very well, in fact suprisingly well with light baits.  My main crank & trap rod.  A little overpowered with a DD22.

All star E844P Mod/Fast ML.  Actually a popping rod.  It feels very light and limber, I'll bet a little too much for some.  Throws smaller cranks & traps well.  But probably my best fish fighter. 

I've also thrown a Loomis CB845, and one of the new Lamiglass Skeet Reese series.  (sorry, can't remember the model)  The Loomis is a very popular cranking rod, light & sensitive with good flex but not too much.  Probably the "standard" for all around cranking.  The Lamiglass flexed further down the blank, but didn't feel like it lacked power.  I might build on one in the future.

Something I suggest to anyone just getting into cranks is a BP Crankin' stick.  It's got a huge cult following.  Good flex, low profile alconites to keep it light.  Plus they go on sale right now every year.  If you keep your eyes on the sales you can pick one up for under $40.  Go fish it with varying cranks for a season, and you'll know what you're looking for when you do upgrade.  They do run a little on the light side, so a MH is closer to a M.

Sorry I ran on here, but you'll hear a lot of varying opinions on cranking rods.  I think your best bet is to try a popular standard with the baits you like and then specialize.

cr

I bought a Lamiglass 7' XCF e-glass rod last year and the main knock I have against it is it seems a lot harder to rip the lure out of the weeds and when it comes to smallmouths I have lost several 5lber's on it and pretty much had given up on it . After reading the thread I wonder now if maybe I wasn't loading the rod enough . I think my G-Loomis works better .

thedude

Quote from: Lightningboy on January 22, 2009, 06:37:11 PM

Custom on a Seeker BS706 blank.  An absolutely great S-glass rod that throws traps, medium & deep divers.  You wouldn't know it was glass except for the fat blank.

i use the seeker bc706.. which is pretty much the same and you're right, its an awesome blank. i'd like it a step up for dd22s, but it'll do. Perfect for a dt16 and traps though. (Hint: its a great buzzbait blank too!) I run 20lb power pro on this setup.
Palehorse Custom Rods

smbassman

The biggest difference between Graphite and Fiberglass is the snap back on the initial bite.  When a fishing rod is bent, energy is stored in the bent rod.  Graphite releases that energy much faster than fiberglass when the rod is released, so the graphite snaps back while the glass is more gentle.  Therefore the glass rods help prevent the hooks from ripping out before they get a good hold.

I don't mind the BPS crankin stick personally and I have seen a lot of pros use them also.  I don't think I will ever try a G loomis, but for the money I sure hope they are a whole lot better than a $40 crankin stick.  I have a couple crankin sticks for most crankbait fishing, but definitely stick to 100% graphite when ripping through the weeds.

Lightningboy

A lot of guys have had the same experience with cranks & especially traps in the weeds.  The two best options I've heard of and used myself are to move to a slightly stiffer rod, or keep the soft rod and use braid.

The braid cuts weeds very well too.

MadWags

Grandt Rods offers a wide assortment of both E-Glass and Graphite rods designed for use with crankbaits. You might want to consider supporting a US manufactured product that supports Greatlakesbass.com. If you have any questions about Grandt Rods feel free to contact me. I would be happy to let you use some of my Grandt Rods before you purchase.
I have both Graphite and E-Glass cranking sticks. I use the Graphite for traps and smaller cranks and the E-Glass 7' MH action for DD cranks and swimbaits.
Dan Kimmel also uses a Grandt Rods Cranking Stick in Graphite and picked up another in a 7'6" XLH70 blank at the Novi Show. Contact me for any GLB discounts or check the Grandt Rods forum on this site for more information.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

BryanP

I agree with a lot of the guys here on the G.Loomis crankin rods.  Definitely the best out there IMO.  THe CBR 845 is a great all around choice, and I've kept at least 3 in my boat for the last 8-9 years.  Mid-summer this past year I got a hold of a couple of the new CBR 855 GLX pretty much used them from then on.  They have the flexibility for fighting fish, but they're also crisp enough to be able to rip a bait out of grass, or even clean a bait that has a piece of grass on it just by snapping it.  You can't do that with a glass rod.  I've tried most of them including the Seeker blanks.

And believe it or not, your crankbait reacts differently when using a graphite rod over glass.  I learned a lot about what a graphite cranking rod and fluorocarbon can do while fishing with Chip Harrison on St Clair last summer!  ;D

Hooksetter

I have a pair of G. Loomis crankbait rods, one M and one MH. Both have mod-fast actions. I wouldn't trade them for any other crankin rods, glass or otherwise. In fact, I have never used a glass crankin rod, or any other crankin rod, so I have nothing to compare them to. Glass or composite rods might be as good or better but I can't say. Before I bought the crankin rods I was using my IMX casting rods because that is all I had. I was a little slow to jump on the technique specific band wagon :D

I will say that my catch rate on crankbaits improved quite a bit when I started using actual crankbait rods :)

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Waterfoul

What's a crankbait????   :D :D

I have a BPS Crankin Stick that I picked up 3 years ago.  I like it for DD10's and such.  I throw traps with it too... though it's probably not the best choice.  But like I said...

What's a crankbait??
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!