Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Some New Stuff

Started by Cheetam, January 20, 2009, 06:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheetam

Sick of me yet... :D

Here's a few new ones.  A Baby Bass Sebile Magic Swimmer, and a trio of Jann's baits done in a chart/blue back pattern.

I'm pretty jacked to try out the Magic Swimmer (when is the soft water coming?).  But man, let me tell you...it was a pain in the behind to paint and clearcoat.... :D
Jeff

motocross269

thedude

looking good j.
new brush came today.. the 9000 is sweet! can't believe they will ship it to your door for under 40$. Played around a little today and starting to get a feel for it.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

DDBethke

They look good!

I need to have a 7" OB Minnow custom painted... can you help?

Duane
Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

Cheetam

Quote from: thedude on January 24, 2009, 11:57:34 PM
looking good j.
new brush came today.. the 9000 is sweet! can't believe they will ship it to your door for under 40$. Played around a little today and starting to get a feel for it.
So start posting some stuff already!  What are you going to use for a topcoat?
Jeff

Cheetam

Quote from: TournamentReadyTackle on January 25, 2009, 03:32:17 AM
They look good!

I need to have a 7" OB Minnow custom painted... can you help?

Duane
I should be able to help out.  Send me a PM with what it is you're looking to do with it.
Jeff

dartag

how about painting some Half Senkos and Gulp Fry's for me. 

thedude

i have bunch of devcon i use for rods that i will probably try first.
Palehorse Custom Rods

thedude

well... i got the brush dialed in finally. Bout 20 coats of paint on this one i think :D.. but starting to get the hang of it.  Pretty happy with this for my first one ever... we'll try the finish tomorrow.

This is a bomber flat-a btw.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

Quote from: thedude on January 25, 2009, 10:45:51 PM
well... i got the brush dialed in finally. Bout 20 coats of paint on this one i think :D.. but starting to get the hang of it.  Pretty happy with this for my first one ever... we'll try the finish tomorrow.

This is a bomber flat-a btw.
That's sweet!  I have a couple Flat As and Deep Flat As I have prepped and are ready to go.  Good Springtime baits.  What kind of paints are you using?
Jeff

thedude

createx mostly. i did swipe some of my wife's cheapie acrylic's for base colors. its nice having a professional artist in the house when you need paint help. All i gotta do is show up with a picture and she tells me what to mix or tosses me the colors i need. ;D

do you use the createx pearlized paints? seems like i really have to up the PSI to get them to work right... even if i thin them a lot. Any tricks? i'd like to be able to shoot them w/ a little more control.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

Quote from: thedude on January 26, 2009, 09:10:05 AM
createx mostly. i did swipe some of my wife's cheapie acrylic's for base colors. its nice having a professional artist in the house when you need paint help. All i gotta do is show up with a picture and she tells me what to mix or tosses me the colors i need. ;D

do you use the createx pearlized paints? seems like i really have to up the PSI to get them to work right... even if i thin them a lot. Any tricks? i'd like to be able to shoot them w/ a little more control.

I haven't had to thin the pearls much, but I'm usually shooting between 40-60 psi.  It's nice to have the adjustment on the brush now, so I don't have to make the adjustments on my compressor when I need to.  The art acrylics and Createx opaques I have to thin alot...usually.  More so with the art acrylics.  I can't remember the brands.  I swiped them from my wife too.  Hey, if I need some help mixing a color, do you think your wife can tell me which colors to use  :D.
Jeff

TCook

Cheetam, do you have a bluegill pattern yet? If so can you post a pic? I want to get a RC 1.5 painted to look as close to a bluegill as possible. A couple guys on BBC want $25, I thought I would hold out and see if there are any better options.
FISH HARD!!!

thedude

Quote from: jcheetam on January 26, 2009, 10:09:13 AM

I haven't had to thin the pearls much, but I'm usually shooting between 40-60 psi.  It's nice to have the adjustment on the brush now, so I don't have to make the adjustments on my compressor when I need to.  The art acrylics and Createx opaques I have to thin alot...usually.  More so with the art acrylics.  I can't remember the brands.  I swiped them from my wife too.  Hey, if I need some help mixing a color, do you think your wife can tell me which colors to use  :D.

huh.. maybe i need to up the PSI and adjust it so i get less spray from the needle? i had good luck with the opaque createx on low psi thinned pretty good.

and yeah she could tell ya... fair warning though.... i get this lecture about some gizmo called a "color wheel" and how to use it everytime i bug her about it :D
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

Quote from: TCook on January 26, 2009, 10:58:34 AM
Cheetam, do you have a bluegill pattern yet? If so can you post a pic? I want to get a RC 1.5 painted to look as close to a bluegill as possible. A couple guys on BBC want $25, I thought I would hold out and see if there are any better options.
I'm working on it.  There are some guys that do absolutely amazing work and have perfected bluegills, redears, etc.  With the amount of time they put into painting their baits, $25 is actually pretty reasonable (seriously).
Jeff

TCook

Thats cool I will eventually go with one of the BBC guys then
FISH HARD!!!

bassassasin88

Quote from: TCook on January 26, 2009, 11:23:19 AM
I also can't shoot anything at a low psi, with the air pro 900. Is the 2mm tip too small? Also I get a lot of overspray when trying to paint the backs. I'm using createx and thinning with windex. Also, how do you mask off those 3-d eyes?

Cheetam

Quote from: bassassasin88 on January 27, 2009, 05:11:21 AM
Quote from: TCook on January 26, 2009, 11:23:19 AM
I also can't shoot anything at a low psi, with the air pro 900. Is the 2mm tip too small? Also I get a lot of overspray when trying to paint the backs. I'm using createx and thinning with windex. Also, how do you mask off those 3-d eyes?
A 2mm tip is small and can clog really easily.  It is mostly used for detail work, but can be used for a wider spray.  I believe my PS1000 has a .2mm tip, I just make sure I clean off the tip in between colors so it doesn't get "gunked" up.  I keep my compressor on a higher .psi because you have the flow adjustment on the brush.  If you would like it lower, lower it at the brush (or increase it if necessary).  I will test any new color by shooting it onto a paper towel or something to see if I have the needle and .psi set for what it is I want to do.  I use the Createx paints (opaque, pearl and irridescents) and thin and adjust each color/type each time I use it.  If you are getting a lot of overspray, you might not have the paint thinned enough, because it isn't atomizing fully.  Or, it could be the angle in which you are shooting the paint.  I actually don't mind overspray on some of the patterns I shoot.  I think it looks cool.  You could also try shooting thinner coats of paint instead of trying to get the coverage you want with one or two.  As for the eyes, I pull the eyes off of the baits I am going to paint (if they have them), paint the bait, then put new eyes on it.  Once the topcoat sets, you don't have to worry too much about them getting knocked off.  Hope this helps a little...
Jeff

Fishmael

I would like to start custom painting my cranks (idea started when all the paint peeled off my Red Eye Shads...).  How much would it cost to get the basic tools necessary to start painting? 

thedude

i got my compressor at harbor freight a few years ago. its small 1gal and i got it for 50$. i bought the brush cheetam mentioned (PS9000) and its 40$ to your door.

Just add paint :)
Palehorse Custom Rods