Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New techniques

Started by Lightningboy, January 19, 2009, 10:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightningboy

OK, johnnymcsavage's thread got me thinking.  What new/old techniques are you going to try this season?  I think it's an excellent idea to run a season long experiment with a different method than you're used to.

So, time to declare for all the world what you're gonna get good at.  I hereby swear I intend to:

Throw a spinnerbait.  I've never had real confidence with one.  I gave it a real go a few years ago and got into some good bites, but I've never been able to duplicate it.  Time for another try, it's just too good of a bait.

Hard swimbaits.  I experimented with hollow baits last year, not much luck.  The hard baits look unworldly real in the water, something's gotta bite one.

Throw a jig.  Did good with one last spring, gonna hone that skill a little more.  I'd like to get real good with a jig.

Do the shakey worm thing.  Too many pros make a living with it to ignore.  Gonna spend a lot of time with it's cousin, wacky jigging too.

So what's on your agenda?

Better yet, if you check this in the fall, how much of it will you have really done?   :-\'

Bender

I would really like to fish shallow. That includes docks, laydowns, pads, etc. I have always fished deep and many times last year had tough days when the fish were shallow, and I was still deep. I very seldom used a jig shallow and only one time did I throw a frog all year. I think that is my main goal of the year.
That and to really learn to develop patterns rather than "spot" fishing all the time. I have certain "spots" on every lake I fish and if it is a new lake I study maps and pick spots out before I even get there. I think that I'm doing it backwards and I should work to develop a pattern first and then decide which spots fit that pattern.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

jonnymcsavage

I want to get good with hard jerkbaits and jigs for the moment. Once I feel I have a grasp on those I would love to learn how to fish slop. The lake I usually fish has a lot of it so i figure that it would be good to learn that as well.

McCarter

Im diggin on that zappu wacky head.  Its different and i dont think too many guys are using it  so i will have at it this season!

skeeterman190

Alright theres alot of difference between fishing shallow and slop fishing. i am a shallow water fisherman. i fish stick baits pretty much anywhere i can find a weed.. too benders post focus on your casting,theres a ton of shallow fisherman but the ones that seperate thmselves are the ones that are great with there rod and baits. if you ever get a chance talk to Mark Snyder hes the best ive ever seen.. hard jerkbaits and jigs!! work those jerkbaits and find the right cadence. jigs are one of my bread and butters check out some more of the Nemesis jigs there sweet. -skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

thedude

i'm going to hone some skills from last year... cranks and jerkbaits mostly. The zappu head is definitley on the list. My goal for the year is to get better at flippin jigs on docks.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Langer

Quote from: thedude on January 20, 2009, 05:49:27 AM
i'm going to hone some skills from last year... cranks and jerkbaits mostly. The zappu head is definitley on the

"You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

dartag

i give up what is a Zappu Wacky Head.   sounds like something   " Billy Mayes "   would be selling on TV. 

thedude

Quote from: Langer on January 20, 2009, 09:05:46 AM
i'm going to hone some skills from last year... cranks and jerkbaits mostly. The zappu head is definitley on the

"You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."

yeah.. i already mastered wolverine hunting with a freaking 12 gauge so i figured jerkbaits were the logical next step.
Palehorse Custom Rods

McCarter

Quote from: thedude on January 20, 2009, 10:19:35 AM
Quote from: Langer on January 20, 2009, 09:05:46 AM

yeah.. i already mastered wolverine hunting with a freaking 12 gauge so i figured jerkbaits were the logical next step.

Im pretty good with a bow staff

;D

McCarter

TCook

It looks like a good rig kind of similar to the flick shake but with a stick bait. The shimmy action looks similar to a weightless yamamoto senko which is hard to match but has a faster fall with the jighead. My question is in what cases would you want to use a jighead over a weightless wacky rig?
FISH HARD!!!

thedude

Quote from: TCook on January 20, 2009, 11:42:14 AM
It looks like a good rig kind of similar to the flick shake but with a stick bait. The shimmy action looks similar to a weightless yamamoto senko which is hard to match but has a faster fall with the jighead. My question is in what cases would you want to use a jighead over a weightless wacky rig?
seems to me it would help when trying to cover a lot of water with highly productive bait. Worst part about senko fishing is taking the time fish it correctly on a slow retrieve. When i prefish i almost never throw one though.. i use cranks, spinnerbaits, trigs, jigs... try to cover as much water as possible looking for the reaction bites. I would think the faster fall would trigger some reaction strikes and widen the strike zone - you could use it more as a search bait rather than a finesse approach.
just my 2 cents.
Palehorse Custom Rods

huston

I purchased some swimbaits last year,(soft type) with the weighted hooks and never did throw any of them. I'm going to try that in LSC when the water is clear and hope I don't catch a musky. I put up all the smithwick jerkbaits and want to throw my LC Pointers, again I hope no musky looks at them. I've got drop shots rigs and not used them and shaky heads I have not shook. Tubes work so well, I use them alot. I forgot all about spinnerbaits too. If no one hasn't tried  the strike king Diamond shad, it works better than a 1/2 oz chartreuse and gold rattle trap on LSC. Senko type baits tear up quick and you spend a lot of time adjusting and replacing the bait. I bought one new rod and reel, a pflueger trion reel and rod. I'm getting excited just typing about this. Man I need to live in the south.

Cy

I think thedude is right on.  The wacky jig allows you to fish a wacky rig faster and deeper.  You should be able to cover more water with it and possibly get better feel with it.
Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Cheetam

They aren't really techniques, but I've narrowed it down to three baits (for now):
1. Texas-rigged worm - I can't believe how long it has been since I fished a worm!
2. Tubes - It hasn't been as long as a texas-rigged worm, but it has been a season or two since I really spent the time throwing the tube.
3. Hard swimbaits- I'm talking the Sebile-style swimbaits, not those monsters they throw out west.  I have a couple special ones I'll have ready for the start of the season.
Jeff

dartag

i am thinking deep diving crankbaits and traps.  it get so boring catching fish on a drop shot or 1/2 senko all the time.  why not get a workout and cast.   maybe some of Jeff's DD22's will work.

Waterfoul

I want to perfect my jig fishing.  Then I'm gonna work on my jig fishing.  Oh, and the zappu thing... already tried it... will continue to use it (read:  it catches fish!).

I'm also going to perfect my surface bait presentations.... buzz baits, wake baits, and a few others.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Cy

Not to sound like a broken record, but I need to work on jig fishing as well.  I also need to be a better drop shot fisherman.  I will also teach myself a new casting technique this year.  I don't know what it will be yet...but I am thinking about learning to skip baits with a casting rig.  Or I could just continue to practice my spinning rod skills, because I'm sad with a spinning rod.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

LGMOUTH

Im not sure if I will try a new technique but I will hone some of the ones I already use. Especially the crankbait. This is something I will be spending alot of time on this year.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.