Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New techniques

Started by Lightningboy, January 19, 2009, 10:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeterman190

Im with LGMOUTH im going to work on cranking more. Also some other reaction baits. Yeah i know TCOOK "when pigs fly, he'll throw that senko till hes purple all year long." right?? haha- im so bored i could scream! cmon spring..-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

chrisvmo

I am going to work on the behind the back through the legs jump cast! I heard its hard but pretty freaken sweet!

skeeterman190

:D :D :D A comedian i love it. when u get the .. over the tree,under the pontoon into the 5lbers mouth. added onto your new found skill.. you'll be a pro! i think, aint that what that hartley guy was doing in the classic last year??-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Lightningboy

You guys talking about cranks got me thinking about the past; it's one of the techniques I set out to learn that really succeeded.

I used to be a die hard soft plastics guy, but getting my butt kicked by guys with cranks made me take a hard look.  So I bought a cranking rod, and a little spread of cranks I had researched, and made a promise to fish them hard.

I also talked with a couple of guys via e-mail who were hard core crankers.  I asked some questions, went fishing, and asked some more.  I gotta really thank Thad Rains from BFHP; he took some real time to explain crankbait movement.

One of the additional secrets I learned along the way was that slowing down when the bite got tough wasn't always the right plan.  Many times you need to speed up.  If that bait is moving fast enough, a bass needs to decide fast to try it or it's gone.  I was blown away by how many bites I had missed out on.

Now I have a hard time not cranking, especially rattlebaits.  Last July I lost out on some tough bites I could have saved with the drop shot because I though I new a hard bait bite was gonna happen.

That's why I'm choosing slower presentations to work on this season.  I want to get better at my on the water decisions, especially my abillity to recognize how & when to switch gears.

skeeterman190

I think we all wanna learn that, on the water desicion making.. its got to be the hardest. when to stay when to go. Its all a matter of time spent out on the water and learning to adapt. then theres smallmouth ill leave that one alone!-skeeterman- good info on the crankbait retrieves.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Durand Dan

Quote from: chrisvmo on January 21, 2009, 07:36:40 PM
I am going to work on the behind the back through the legs jump cast! I heard its hard but pretty freaken sweet!

I hate to end up in the emergency room after one of those casts! ;D

Ryan

Quote from: skeeterman190 on January 21, 2009, 10:29:51 PM
then theres smallmouth ill leave that one alone!

Haha, that is exactly how I feel most of the time smallmouth fishing! I couldn't have said it better myself.

chrisvmo

I really agree with the decision makeing. I wasted alot of time this year fishing techniques and spots that are proven. Somtimes I can be a little stuburn.

t-bone

For 2008 it was dropshotting and cranks - I now have a lot of confidence in dropshot (who wouldn't) and I'm almost there with cranks.

For 2009 - I'm going to work on jerkbaits and jigs. I've thrown jerkbaits around but I must not have the cadence down or I must not be pausing long enough. I just don't tie on Jigs enough yet, so I'm going to spend some days with only a jig and start learning.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

dashaver63

Jig fishing can be the most frustrating or rewarding techniques out there. The biggest thing I found is having a good assortment of weights to play with. The rate of the fall must always be considered. Some days a finesse jig with a slow fall is just what the fish wants, then just as you think you've patterned the fish, they quit biting it. I'll go to a heavier jig and make the fish react to it as it fly's to the bottom. Then there is the trailer, use one with a lot of action like a Paca Chunk, or one with sublte action like a Zoom chunk. Should I add rattles? Do I need to swim it? You can fish an entire season just throwing jigs and never have the same bite twice, I love jigs, they can be the most versatil weapon in your tackle box. 3/4 oz. football jigs through an old river bed in 20' of water, flipping 1/4 oz. in 3' of water or swimming them over a big weedy flat. Use your imagination with them and have some fun with them. Can you tell I love jigs?

Fishmael

For me, 2009 will be a good fishing year.  The biggest improvement to on-the-water decisions I have made is to change fishing partners...actually I will probably fish a lot of the one-on-one deals, unless I find another partner who is pretty good.  It is tiresome fishing with someone who thinks they either need to fish the spot they caught on 10" a week ago thursday, or he heard from "enter name of thinks he knows more than he really does person here" that fishing out from the dock with the red pontoon is a real hot spot.  Then at the end of a 3 hour tourney with only 3 fish in the box that I caught, I hear "hmm, don't really know why we didn't catch em tonight"....Glad I got my own boat now.

t-bone

That jig information is great - thanks. I'll have to experiment and I have a lot to learn. I do have a box full of them that have never seen water - so I'm ready to go.

I've seen the same thing from partners - some times people get consumed with a particular spot or information rather than adjusting to what is currently happening. Just because you think you saw a large fish on a rock an hour ago, don't leave an area that we are actively catching them in. Once we find a real pattern lets stick to it but be flexible to give it up once it drys up. I've fished with some stubborn guys.

I think it is always a great conversation at the end of the tournament to think about what you and your partner could have done differently - even if you caught em great or you didn't. It is always a good practice to talk about the decisions and try to learn from them.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Got Fish??

Hey Bender, You can jig fish shallow. Just throw Your best skert and chunk soft plastic on plan hook fish it slow like your led jig. If you have confidence in your led jigs that you fish deep you will catch fish shallow. I myself am going to fish faster this year. Not taking so much time to fish one spot. I seem to beat up on one spot for to long. Good luck fellow anglers. Got Fish?