Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looking for a Guide...

Started by Rocknfish, January 05, 2009, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocknfish

Fellas,
Looking to spend a day on either Erie or St.Clair with a pro.Hoping to learn boat positioning,how to properly read electronics,techniques and eliminate water on these big water systems.Thanks in advance,Aaron.
Rock and fish...thats what I do!

Dan

You'd better plan on a more than one day and probably more than one guide :D
I would think that these guys on this forum can recommend a number of people. I think http://www.kdawg.net/ Kendall Ulsh would do a good job for you.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

csfishslayer

Jerry Gostniks guides LSC He know the lake pretty well
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

fiker

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Got Fish??

Do you want to spend alot of money,or just have someone take you out and show you the ropes?

Rocknfish

Thank you all for the input!This is a really great site for help and I appreciate it.Glad to return the favor.Been talking to Joe Balog and looks like I might set up a trip with him.Not in stone yet.Thoughts?Cant afford alot(as Im sure most of us cant)just a poor boy looking to gain some knowledge.Nice work gentleman!
Aaron
Rock and fish...thats what I do!

djkimmel

Joe's another good choice. He's a member of the forum also. Glad you like it here and thanks for participating.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smally

Joe Knows!  You won't be disappointed.

WayneC

I think most guides would be happy to take the time to show an angler special skills and techniques as well as go and catch fish, but I can only speak for myself.

This will be my first year as a guide on Lake St. Clair, connecting and inland waters but I have over a decade of experience teaching and training bass anglers about how to improve their game.  Your trip begins long before, and the exciting journey to learn more long after a single outing.  I have the most comprehensive and easy to use support products available for Lake St. Clair and smallmouth bass fishing.  My new book, "Smallmouth Confidential" is geared specifically toward anglers who want to get deep into the techniques and idiosyncracies' of both the bass, and our own approach to fishing for them.

Here are some things I can cover with you both on and off the water:

How to approach different types of structure - Points, flats, weedbeds, weedlines, patches of weed, rock/sand combinations, weed/sand combinations, sand grass flats, current, open water, sloping breaks, fast breaks, seawalls, rip-rap, channel markers, deep river structure (drops, flats and slopes), spawning flats, isolated humps in the lake, rock shoals, etc..

Presentations that are most effective during each season - Pre-spawn, spawn, post-spawn, summer bite, fall transition and fall

What high percentage baits are and how to build confidence in what you throw - This doesn't just have to do with my bait designs but everything you use.  The bottom line is that confidence will catch more fish than any bait in your tackle box.  I'll work with your bait lineup the way it is and help you to define what the best baits are for your current skill sets.  Once you are sure about how and when to use what you have, it will be easier to decide which baits to add to your arsenal.

Boat control - Especially on the big water, expert boat control can turn a good day into a great day.  Learn how to deploy wind socks (sea anchors), use the trolling motor in a drift, use the trolling motor in the river, where to position the boat along structures like rip-rap, flats, rock piles and shoals and more.  Learn to let current do most of the work for you or even how to power fish through it to get a bigger bite. 

Learn how to take advantage of bass chasing forage - Gobies have become a favorite food and smallies respond well to certain colors and presentations.  Know when to fish the bottom or bring a bait up a little higher with other bait presentations like the drop-shot or the 3-way rig to get a bigger bite.  With any luck, we'll get caught in a mayfly hatch and I can show you a technique that will put 100% of the bass you cast to into the boat.  The day I finally learned this my last 15 fish of the day were all over four pounds with some over five.  Know where the zone is when baitfish stack up in front of the channels and are aggressive.

Fill out your skill sets by learning a new presentation - Sometimes getting better at bass fishing can be as easy as picking up a new skill.  If learning fast presentations is what you want then getting the most out of a rattle trap, spinnerbait, jerkbait or one of my favorites...the buzzbait will put you on bass that are looking for it.  If fishing slow is what you want to know then you'll love hanging out with me.  My motto..."The slower the bigger" for soft plastic presentations in the lake and the river.  It's not just about the fast or slow, but where and when they work the best.  We can work with wacky rigging, drop-shotting, crankbaits, topwater, tubes, Texas rigs, 3-way rigs, deep vertical jigging, dock fishing and more.

Learn to fish open water when the only structure you see is on the electronics - Fishing spots that have no visible structure is a special challenge.  Using marker buoys is a skill that can keep you on the fish and avoid hours of fishing dead water.  There are many helpful GPS techniques at our fingertips too which can orient us in open areas.  Marking spots is one but also how to use the track log to find a spot or a productive drift is another.

Get some inside info. on productive ways to eliminate water -  This is one of the best skills of all to have for dialing in on the bite.  It's one thing to find hot spots but they can let you down from one day to the next.  Eliminating unproductive water can lead us to productive water under all conditions.  Learn ways to identify dominant structure elements that don't hold good numbers of bass before the boat even hits the water.  Find out how seasonal changes take large chunks of water out-of-play.  On the water see how each cast and each catch can tell the story about an area that won't give you the fish you are looking for.

Fish with baits designed by me that have stood the test of time as well as some exciting new additions - I've also been designing soft plastic baits for over 10 years and depend on their success to make a living.  If something doesn't work I fire it, then build something better.   Last year Mark Frickman won the amateur side of the FLW event on the Detroit River and $30,000 with St. Clair Crayfish.  This year looks to be an exciting one too with the 2009 addition of Great Lakes Perch.  Some of my other baits are: St. Clair Goby, Great Lakes Craw, Firetiger, Erie Goby, Canadian Mist and more in drop-shot tubes, 4" tubes, 5" tubes, skirted twin tails, X-worms, goby baits and tube trailers.

If you just want to go out and catch fish we can do that too!

A brochure about my guide service is attached to this posting if you would like to view or download it.  You can also find my information products in the GreatLakesBass store: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/store/glbstore2.html

Books:
    Smallmouth Confidential
    No Secrets on Lake St. Clair Vol. 1
    No Secrets on Lake St. Clair Vol. 2
Maps:
    Marked Map Series 1
    Marked Map Series 2
    Marked Map Series 2C (color)

There really is no substitute for time on the water so any way you can get it is a good thing.  I'm familiar with the other guides mentioned in this posting and have a great respect for them all.  My hope is that when you do get out there the experience meets or exceeds your expectations and that you can build on that for years to come.

Wayne Carpenter
Great Lakes Captain

jcox7

There are many good guides out there but to be honest i found that fishing the BFLs as a Co angler taught me more than any guide could yes there is the time that you will draw someone that really is not on them but for the most part most of us anglers catch fish out there it is only 100 bucks and hell you can even win more than that back.  Most Boaters in the BFL will also give you some great advice for free.  Just pray that you dont draw Eric B. after june LOL

But if you really just want a guide I would recomend Marcel Veenstra he is the Ranger Pro at Wonderland Marine.

Also there is Jose Garza and Art Fergesun sorry about the spelling.

fiker

Another option would be to sign up wit the EBA club from this site.

We'll be fishing Clair, and Erie several times this year. 
Cost is very minimal.  Just help your boater out with gas money.  Several of the club members are very knowledgeable about these waters.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Jighead

Glad to see none of you mentioned this other guy I know pretty well.... ;D
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com