Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Drop Shotting and Drowned River Mouths

Started by Skulley, December 24, 2008, 01:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Did everyone bone up on the original work, explanations and actual Fisheries Order posted on the Conservation, Legislation board? http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=47.0

All fishing guides and similar summaries have language that states they are not the law. To know the law, you have to read the specific written order / legislation. All laws / regulations will always have areas open to interpretation and further clarification through the courts if necessary. You can't get away from that with any law / regulation / order.

I was sitting there with the MDNR as we discussed the interpretation of the overall issues and much of it is on the thread above. The specific 'drowned river mouth lakes' are specifically listed in the Order. The understood interpretation from that meeting was that the entire body of water known as the specifically listed lake(s) was off limits to dropshotting.

The Detroit River, St. Clair River and St. Mary's are specifically defined in regulations and the fisheries guide as part of 'the Great Lakes and connecting waters' so always fall under that heading unless a specific exception naming them specifically is spelled out. There is no such exception in the dropshot order.

In the Fisheries Order thread, I spelled out all the interpretations that I had been asked for up to that point with the answer from the official spokesperson from the MDNR. You may get a different answer from a local person, but that will only do you good when dealing with that specific person. You have to get an official answer from the MDNR spokesperson for the involved department. I will only list answers with statewide or similar broad ramifications on this site when I have received the official spokesperson response.

If you are outside of the mouth of a river, or one of the drowned river mouth lakes specifically listed in the Fisheries Order, you can dropshot. If you are inside the mouth (last land points), then the possibility exists of a ticket and/or getting protested in a tournament. There may be definitions that make that seem gray, but you are either outside of and fishing outside of the river, or you are inside or fishing inside. Different people may interpret what that exactly means one way or the other, but the point is, if you have any doubt, play it safe and do something else.

The MDNR met us more than half way on this issue and I think we can live with it, even without squeezing every possible inch of water out of where you can fish. If and when snagging becomes less of a problem in the eyes of the MDNR, we can look at the issue again.

If you have a specific location you want to fish a dropshot and you aren't sure about it, send me a question and I will see about getting you the best available answer. And no, the MDNR does not have plans to ticket non-snaggers for dropshotting. Don't snag or look like you are snagging, and you should be fine. BUT, if you are in a tournament, most tournaments have rules about following all state laws, so you could rightfully be protested and dq'd. When in doubt, don't dropshot.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

That is exactly what I tell my kids.............when in doubt, don't do it!!!!  Thanks for putting that in perspective DK.   ;)

BD          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

So do I............ :-\'

BD                 ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Got Fish??

OK bigdog, Are you ready to go fishing now? Lets go put some fish in the boat. Got my boat back today. I'm ready to go dropshotting,drifting and draging,jiging,crankbaiting,tubing and trolling. Heck I'll even treat you to Long John silvers. Thanks DK for chilling out BG. Maybe now he will start getting his head into this years season.

Skulley

Quote from: Got Fish?? on March 06, 2009, 10:22:08 PM
Heck I'll even treat you to Long John silvers. Thanks DK for chilling out BD. Maybe now he will start getting his head into this years season.
::)   ::)   ::)  Season isn't here yet and besides I always fish more days than you and catch more fish than you.........even from the back of your boat.   I even have to correct your grammar and spelling!!    8)   You think I am going to let you end my streak now?!?!?  I think not.......... :-\'

Quote from: Got Fish?? on January 15, 2009, 07:25:48 PM
What ya say you dropdown to my place and do a shot.

I still haven't gotten that shot yet............... :o

BD               ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Got Fish??

well come on down anytime. You would not catch so many fish out of the back of my boat. If I did not want you too. Besides your a good angler and I enjoy your company.

Skulley

Quote from: Got Fish?? on March 15, 2009, 06:48:17 AM
well come on down anytime. You would not catch so many fish out of the back of my boat. If I did not want you too. Besides your a good angler and I enjoy your company.

If B.S. were music, you'd be a brass band.   :o

BD              ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com