Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

any one been out on the ice?

Started by chrisvmo, December 20, 2008, 03:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisvmo

just wondering if anyone has been out and the ice conditions?

Bender

Not me, I checked a couple weeks ago before the rain and it was still pretty thin, 2" average. From what I have been reading some lakes are O.K. and some are still thin. I'm waiting until I see other people out there, then I will go out and spud holes to see for myself. I have not seen anybody out on the lake by my house.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

cr

They're riding motorcycles on Beull and several small ponds in Clio . Five inches I'm told , but I haven't been out there .

thedude

was out on a private lake by howard city a week ago. 4". most of the smaller public lakes north of kent county are good to go. I'm out for the count.. had foot surgery on both feet last monday... hopefully in a week or so.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

chrisvmo

im out for the count because I cant get out of my drive way. I have never seen this much snow.
Hope you heel up fast so you can get out dude man!

djkimmel

I finally (after several good 'workout' seasons) got a working snow thrower so I got my driveway open. Those awesome folks from the Ingham road commission plowed my driveway in as I was backing down to go to work!! (I swear they are picking on me... :o)

I got a plowed ice and snow eating machine so it doesn't take me an hour to get out now. Maybe, I can even make it out back ice fishing this winter...?? Not now. But maybe in a few weeks... when I know the ice is really thick! (that water is cold!!)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

McCarter

I am starting to see people on the lakes but not like you would expect.  Living in oakland county you cant drive anywhere without passing a lake and usually once the ice is 2"-3" thick the shantys are out there.  so far this year, the lakes are pretty empty.  maybe everyone is waiting for santa to bring them some new gear before they head out.

If the economy doesnt start improving I will be out ice fishing instead of grocery shopping.  nothing like fresh panfish through the ice.

McCarter himself :-\'

Bloomer

was out there this weekend, north Oakland county. Getting anywhere from 5"-6" of ice, but very sloppy. That 12" of snow on Friday didn't help much. Most spots I've tried have been 5" of ice, then 2-3" of slush then a foot of snow. But this is on one N. Oakland county lake, have not tried any others. But I have not seen any one else on the ice yet, makes me extremely nervous.

chrisvmo

I am worried about all the snow on top where I live. We got close to 28 inches of snow on the ground in the last 4 days and where suppose to get 10 more inches tommarrow. I need some snow shoes for christmas!

thedude

yeah... living in the snow belt makes me glad i have 2 winter hobbies -> ice fishing AND rod building. i can drink the same amount of beer doing both and when the snow is 2' deep its an easy decision. :D
Palehorse Custom Rods

McCarter

sounds like you have 3 hobbies.  Beer  drinking is worthy  of its own categoqy.

skeeterman190

If you dont drink beer when your ice fishing you might as well chalk it up a blown trip! Were talking about a trip down here in NW Indiana this coming weekend. there hasnt been a temp here for 3 days!!(below 0)..... Im with you though id rather drink some beers in the warmth pouring jigs and makin rods, than sitting on a cold piece of ice! bring out the smallmouth bass ales and im sure you'd be fine. missed ya @ leelanau this year.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

thedude

beer drinking a hobby?! bite your collective tongues SIRS!
Beer drinking is a way of life!

phil - where you fishin? i'm going down to Lowell to see family wednesday through saturday. I bet willow slough is ready to go, fishing was great there a few years ago after they reopened the place... fish were small yet but should be crawlin with big gills now.
Palehorse Custom Rods

bassdisaster

Tamarac lake over 8" of ice, Cowden lake 6" of ice, any of the shallow lakes are MORE than safe, even the larger lakes are safe now up here in the montcalm county area, Ive been feasting on perch and gill's for 2 weeks now, hope that dont make your feet hurt to bad Dude, but I had to rub it in!

BD

skeeterman190

Dont know?? this nice rain sleet snow mix has prolly a damper on that idea?? haha beer drinking a way of life... lately id have to say yeah!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

chrisvmo

looks like the ice might go away for a while now! :'(

Waterfoul

Quote from: chrisvmo on December 26, 2008, 07:03:13 PM
looks like the ice might go away for a while now! :'(

Fished Indian Lake today.  Caught a 15" bass!!!  And 3 perch... biggest was around 8" or so... and I lost one that had to go 10-11" right at the hole!!   >:(
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

chrisvmo

Waterfoul

Quote from: chrisvmo on January 02, 2009, 12:40:07 AM
how much ice was there?

~8" or so.  Can't speak for any other lakes though.  BUT, it was cold last night and all day today so....
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Bloomer

sitting on 6-10" out here, just got the first bass of 2009, caught unintentionally of course and was immeadiately released. Not bad size though, probably just under 3 lbs.