Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:38:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fall 2008 DK Open Results, Pictures & Story

Started by djkimmel, October 06, 2008, 12:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

2008 Fall DK Open winners MadWags and djkimmel at Hardy Dam Pond

MadWags Repeat Champion for 2008 Fall DK Open Tournament

GLBass member MadWags makes it a clean sweep by winning the Fall DK Open members' tournament October 4, 2008 on Hardy Dam Pond. Your humble writer (djkimmel) was fortunate to take a small part in the making of history. The first time one member has been part of both wins in one year.

I did my best to keep this from happening (unfortunately) by catching LOTS of pike, a walleye and losing the only 2 largemouth bass I had on (they weren't keepers Dave... honest ;D). After handily cutting off the team of genie and spinninbug shortly into the coldest morning of the year (27 F to start brrrrr), we entered a nice looking creek so Dave (while I made sure ALL the pike were out of his way) caught a really nice smallie slow-rolling a spinnerbaits.

This was our 2nd spot of the morning. There was fairly thick fog on the lake and being very cold, we started right by the ramp at Brower Park. I proceeded to get a good start on clearing out all the pike by catching 3 and missing/losing 3 more before we ran across the lake into the creek.

Just outside the creek (after genie had left MY spot), we got into more fish. Me - pike and Dave a keeper largemouth on crankbaits. I also lost my first bass (not a keeper Dave, no lie) and I landed a small keeper walleye. Unfortunately, not having apparently drunk enough coffee, I threw it back forgetting about the fabled 'other fish' award. This would prove to be a key mistake by team wags-kimmel.

Later in the morning, the pike fishing really slowed down although Dave finally got into it a little by having a frog tail bit off and landing 2 or 3. We made some moves but managed no bass bites for a while until I repeatedly attempted to 'shake off some weeds' (this is one weedy lake) until the 'weeds' jumped and threw my tube! Luckily, it was not a 2 1/2 pounder, but a dink largemouth. (Dave, you were just tired from you frantic drive back from North Carolina... so it only looked like a 2-pounder).

That is when I realized I might have, should of, gone to bed earlier the night before myself. That might explain how the deer got in my lane on US-131 that morning without me seeing it as quickly as I should have. Oh well, I love the smell of brake pad in the morning!! :D

We bumped into a few other teams and began to see that things had been tough but... spinninbug had phoned a picture of a 6 pound smallie her hubby caught Friday afternoon (while I was still at work!! Fout!!) and genie said he had some inside info (which might explain his big bass and me cutting... fishing MY spot in front of him) so I expected a few big catches.

Alas, it was not to be. Dave's two nice bass were the right bass for a day like this one. I think most members enjoyed themselves, but you could tell by weary posture and the lack of numerous fish tales that things had been sloooowwwww for everyone. Only 1 team had 3 bass. That was 2nd place finishers and past champions fowlmouth and Jay-MadWags. At least only 1 team was skunked. I don't want to mention any screen names though ;D

Hardy Dam Pond is big and very scenic. And it turned into a very nice day despite the tough fishing. Luckily, there were many prizes to give out to the participants thanks to our generous sponsors like Benchleys Buick Pontiac GMC, Case Plastics, Flip Clip Fishing, Grandt Rods and Wonderland Marine West. Lures, wacky tools, Flip Clips, hats, shirts and other prizes always help to warm up a slow, cold day.

The day was not without a little controversy and possible scandal (see the blog for more details). After the weigh in was complete, as prizes were distributed, a boat mysteriously went adrift all by itself..?!? No one claimed responsibility, but thanks to the assistance of a civilian boat containing several anglers, the boat was recovered without serious harm. One member did say that he saw several released bass (all released alive and well) bump the boat, probably shaking it loose from the beach... Hmmmmm???

The team fowlmouth and Jay-MadWags (past one and two-time champs respectively) took 2nd with the most bass. genie and spinninbug took 3rd with their big bass of the event at 3.22 pounds (smallmouth). I want to thank everyone who participated. Hope you all had fun and thanks for being GreatLakesBass.com members.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Final Standings

BOATERSNONBOATERS# BASSTOTAL WEIGHTBIG BASSPLACE
djkimmelMadWags24.972.871st
fowlmouthJay-MadWags34.622nd
genie*spinninbug13.223.22*3rd
MIBasserTCook12.604th
Spinninbugs-hubbyRyan11.945th
Durand Danfasttrack11.536th
VinceRchrisvmo1:)7th

* Big Bass winner

See the updated DK Open Champions online virtual plaque for the history of all the winners.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

2008 Fall DK Open runners-up Jay-MadWags and fowlmouth with their 3 bass - they caught the most, but came just .35 pounds short

2008 Fall DK Open members genie and spinninbug finished 3rd and took big bass with this nice 3.22 pound Hardy Dam Pond smallie

TCook and MIBasser brought in this 2.60 pound smallmouth bass beauty for 4th place

Not a 6 pound smallie like the one he caught yesterday, but this decent largemouth bass was enough to take 5th for Spinninbugs_hubby and Ryan

fasttrack and Durand Dan round out the teams that caught bass in 6th place with another smallie

Not pictured (and the only team that practiced complete catch and release) are VinceR and chrisvmo. It was a tough day for everyone, but a little tougher for them. No group shot this time. I forgot to tell my official photographer.

Genie

I for one had a blast - despite the controversy.  Can't wait til spring.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

VinceR

Despite the obvious lack of fish, I had a great time with a great partner (we'll get em' next time, Chris). I had the chance to see a body of water that I've never seen (and always wanted to). I was impressed enough that I will return to check it out in the spring.

Durand Dan

What a beautiful day on Hardy!! After the fog lifted and the air warmed above freezing, Fasttrack and I were able to travel 90% of the lake. We did find a few fish early in the afternoon but for some reason we couldn't get them over the side of the boat. Like Vince said, it was also my first time there and I will  be back next spring.

thedude

sorry i missed it, but sounds similar to the results of our classic yesterday on reeds. don't these fish know its fall! time to eat!!!

hardy is tough lake any day - it can be fantastic in the springtime though.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

spinninbug

Both hubby and I had a great time,  we were still laughing last night about the boat that got away!!!  By the way where are the pictures of that Dan???? 

I had a great day on the water even though I didn't catch a darn fish,  not even a pike for me.  It was great to meet everyone. 

You will not regret going in the spring,  it is a great time there then!
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

MIBasser

Great write-up Dan.  I'm with spinninbug about the picture of some Ranger floating away.....  Anyway a hard two days for TCook and I.  We pre-fished on Friday for about 8 hours and only had 3 bass, 20 lost baits and a whole lot of pike! 

Saturday was even harder.  We caught the only fish with 10 minutes to go right in front...

In all it was a great outing.  TCook was a great partner and it was a pleasure to fish with him. 

Thanks Dan and see you in the spring!

djkimmel

For the rest of the story (imagine Paul Harvey)... read the blog entry on Scandal at the DK Open?

spinninbug

Ok after asking where the mysterious picture of the boat was,  I hadn't looked in the blog yet......if you haven't read it yet it is a must,  I'm still crying from laughing so hard....

Great write up Dan,  we had a great time.  Makes me really hope to be able to make the spring open. 

Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

djkimmel

Ryan

Even though we only weighed in one bass, Terry and I caught fish-mainly pike-all day.  I definetly had a good time and if I do ever come back to Hardy, hopefully it will be in the spring.  Thanks for a good day on the water, Terry and thanks for another fun DK Open, Dan.  Maybe next year you can order up a little better fishing and a little warmer weather.

-Ryan

oh, and thanks for the ride, Vince.

djkimmel

Apparently, another bass anglers says he caught 14 pounds or so in less time than we were out there the same day... you know fish stories?? But maybe he knows the lake real well? That was only my 2nd time there in the fall so I have a lot to learn. The spring can be real good from what I have seen my 4 or 5 times over there, but I have had a good 'guide' too during those trips and that does make a difference!

chrisvmo

I had a great time despite not catching a fish! It was really nice to meet everybody! Had a great time with Vince...Great partner and we will get them next time! I have to get over to St. clair! Thanks for the tourney Dan! would you believe the saturday before I had a limit in 45 Minutes out there?

Chris

Waterfoul

I too wish I could have made it... but at least we caught a few fish on Reeds...

Hardy can put the best fisherman/woman down on the deck any day of the week, any season of the year.  It's a BIG lake and despite fishing it more often than many I still don't have it figured out at all!!!  Some days I think we catch fish by accident!!!

As for the pike... if you think you guys caught a lot of pike this weekend... you should try it in the spring!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fasttrack

I agree with everyone - fun day despite the tough fishing. And thanks to Durand Dan - it was a pleasure! The perverbial "what if" certainly applied as we had a limit of smallies on/near the boat in one small area. If we had only landed a couple of them..... Nice to meet everyone!

fasttrack
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

djkimmel

Yes. That's fall fishing for you. But when you get those '45 minute' days... that's what keeps you going back!!

MadWags

Enjoyed meeting everyone and I really enjoyed fishing as a co-angler with Dan. He is a funny guy if you don't already know that. Winning was almost pure luck on my part. Dan did his best to keep the pike and walleye away from my baits. The winning bait was the MadCow Crankbait I bought while fishing the NBAA Championship down on the Ohio River this Spring.
Supposedly it was designed for Spotted bass although I never caught one one it. Our Largemouth seem to like it for sure. Without that Largie, Jay and Fowlmouth would have won. They threw Horny Toads all day. Difficult bite for sure as the lake had recently turned over and I believe the bass were still adjusting. Good time had by all regardless of the tuff fishing.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

You should have seen the look on Wag's face the 2nd time I blew it on a largemouth bass... :o Just... trying... to... tear... that 'weed' off my hook... over and over. ;D