Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Up North Smallmouth

Started by Eric, September 23, 2008, 01:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Are the smallies moving shallow yet.  I plan to go up north the first weekend in Oct and hope they will be shallow by then.  Anyone live up there or been up there that can advise?  I am thinking Traverse area, Leelanau, Burt/Mullett, Charlevoix, etc.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

1javelin

In case you didn't know Eric, the BAU championship is on Leelanau again this year, and it's the 11th of October.  I do believe we will be targeting mostly smallmouth, not docks and boathouses for largeheads!! ;D :D

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Dan

Just fished the $5,000 Tear Drop Tournament Trail Classic up in Interlochen. We fished Long Lake Saturday and Duck Lake Sunday. 38+ lbs won it. 5-8 both days was big fish. The fish were not up shallow yet in numbers. We did catch big bass  Saturday in two feet of water. It was the only fish we found shallow on Saturday. I will be doing an article on the Classic on my teardropbass.com website in the next couple of days.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Eric

Hey, are you picking on the fact that the only fish I could find stupid enough to eat my bait was a largemouth? ???  At least it was a big one.  ;D I sure hope to be able to catch a few smallies this fall.  I believe I am going to fish Burt the 3rd-5th of Oct.
www.BassinWithEric.com

Dan

I forgot to add that the water temp at both Long Lake and Duck was 65 degrees. Warmer than I thought with these cooler nights.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Eric

Thanks Dan.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places for 2 guys to stay around Burt?
www.BassinWithEric.com

blakstr1

http://www.thelandingsonindianriver.com/

check these cabins out right on the indian river, they are closer to Mullet though, but accessible to both.  Good prices for decent cabins too.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

ub2m4

what were the techniques used on those lakes that produced fish?

Eric

If you are talking about Burt/Mullett, I am not going until Friday.  I will certainly post when I get back.  If you are talkng baout the other lakes, I can't help you.
www.BassinWithEric.com

brg_bassmaster

you guys should try wixom lake in the fall we did awesome at the end of october fishing right up against seawalls using white spinnerbaits all day. it seems noone knows how good a lake for smallies that is. but i am stationed here in new mexico so i cant fish there much anymore. but we did catch some shallow smallies whne i was home in september i have a report in the inland lakes and river part.

motocross269

Eric

Does anyone know what the water temps are like on Burt/Mullett?
www.BassinWithEric.com

skeeterman190

Hey havent chimed in on this post.. i was curious what the water temps were up that way im sure theyve dropped  a ton! smalllie heaven should be waiting for me when i get there on thursday! (the 9th) Hey Eric dont let them pick on the buckethead.; choose your words wisely boys i got a cat in the sack in my head.. I WILL have a mixed bag to win that boat @ Leelanau unless the other 49 stiks have something to say about it! HAHA ill keep ya thinkin! if i can get a toad on what i think??? with what i know on the smallies wow its gonna take some weight to win this year~!!!!!!!!!!! more than 20~! (ill get like 12) but im pumped up and riding a hot streak so i gotta be confident!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

djkimmel

Sounds like FBMBF syndrome (fall BIG Michigan bass fever) is setting in here ?!? ;D If I can escape from work, I'll be at least throwing some baits at the water next weekend up there on my usual favorite fall lake! At this point, just throwing some baits and smelling the air will be enough for me! :D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Langer

Eric,

How'd you do up there? Heading up this weekend and wondering how the fishing was.
Thanks!
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

Eric

It was way tougher than I expected.  Water temp were still very near 60.  I got up to Burt Friday morning and fished til about 4.  It was very cold, very windy, and rained off and on.  Caught 4 bass, one perch, one pike and one trout.  Saturday we launched on Mullett.   I stayed there, becuase I sure didn;t find anything on Burt.  I had 5 keeper bites, but broke one off at the boat.  My 4 I weiged in were just shy of 13, which lead by over 6 pounds after day 1.  My 4.79 or so was big fish for the day also.  Sunday we launched on Burt and I stayed there, because I had nothing going on mullett either.  I had 6 keeper bites, but lost 2 of those for no reason.  My 4 Sunday weighed 10 something.  Sunday there was a 16 and 15 pound bag weighed in on Burt.  One over 6.5 and 2 others over 5.5.  Thank god for 6 pound leads.  I won with 22 something.  I expected that a day, not for a weekend.  All of my fish on both lakes came on spinnerbaits in about 5 FOW over rocks.  There were tons of fish there on Burt, they just wouldn't bite.  I could see them everywhere.  All of the big fish on Burt came on wacky senkos.
www.BassinWithEric.com

Ryan

Thanks for the report, Eric.  I am heading up to Burt and Mullett tomorrow so your information was really helpful.  There is so much water up there that doesn't hold fish, so this will atleast give me some place to start.

Thanks again.

-Ryan

djkimmel

Ryan, I'll be on Mullett maybe late tomorrow afternoon and hopefully the following 3 days (if nothing else happens ;D)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Ryan

Dan, we are staying at Aloha State Park so if you see a silver chevy pulling a silver and white Nitro, stop and say hi. Or I could just come say hi to you because your boat tends to stand out for some reason. :)

djkimmel

Quote from: Ryan on October 08, 2008, 10:56:27 PM
Dan, we are staying at Aloha State Park so if you see a silver chevy pulling a silver and white Nitro, stop and say hi. Or I could just come say hi to you because your boat tends to stand out for some reason. :)

I recently spray painted it all white... or was it all black... or green? I don't remember now?? I think I'll paint it bright chartreuse. That should make me easy ot find.

I'm not staying at Aloha this time due to the shortness of the trip. Not sure if I'll launch there or not yet.