Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Stony Creek 10/30

Started by cameraguy, November 06, 2018, 07:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameraguy

The day started out well. With air temps in the lower 40s, the lake was flat calm. Dan and I had not expected that. The wind would pick up later in the morning and would make it feel much cooler than the predicted high of mid 50s.
   I got the catching started pretty early with a Largemouth around 2 1/2 pounds. Hit a drop shot worm in about 10 feet of water. Not too much later I caught a second bass at the same depth. Somewhere in there I hooked a pike. Dan was happy that I caught it instead of him. I'm a little foggy about the time the pike was landed because after we switched spots around mid-morning, Dan knocked me woozy with a blade beat down.
I think I might have caught a dink or 2 on a drop shot after the move but can't remember as I was too busy trying to keep the boat on our spot and taking pictures of Dan catching bass.
   He caught nice Largemouth on 3 different blades in 10'-14' of water. I tried a couple of different blades but couldn't get a sniff.
   The memory limit only allows me to post a few of the pix.

Bigbass201

The blade bait is definitely a go to lure this time of year.  Looks like you guys had a fantastic day of fishing.  Congrats

21XDC

Those are crappy blade baits...  :P
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

detroit1

Hey Mike..if they have seen your drivers console, they already know.... :)
WAVE THERAPY

Hollada

You guys know when they do the draw down on stoney?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

cameraguy

Quote from: 21XDC on November 06, 2018, 04:06:39 PM
Those are crappy blade baits...  :P

Which ones? Dan used 3 different blades. He started out with a Silver Buddy lookin' thing. He switched to that bluish one. Then when the bite on that one slowed down he switched to the gold colored blade. Maybe he will comment on which ones he used.
Do you make blades? I need to improve my selection.

cameraguy

Quote from: Hollada on November 06, 2018, 08:10:27 PM
You guys know when they do the draw down on stoney?
Just called the office there and they started drawing down in October. A couple of weeks ago when we went, the level looked a little high to me. I think it had rained a lot that week.

The woman I talked to said the lake is down around a foot.

Hollada

Thanks!  Probably going to be too low to launch very soon.
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

21XDC

I make a ton of blade baits.... I gave Dan a bunch if I'm remembering correctly. None of those in the pics are mine. That is why I posted.  ;)

It's all good...  8)

You must have missed this post>>> http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=32915.0
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

cameraguy

Quote from: 21XDC on November 08, 2018, 05:03:15 PM
I make a ton of blade baits.... I gave Dan a bunch if I'm remembering correctly. None of those in the pics are mine. That is why I posted.  ;)

It's all good...  8)

Can you post some pix of your blades?

You must have missed this post>>> http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=32915.0

21XDC

This is just scratching the surface LOL

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

djkimmel

Thanks for posting something cameraguy! I'm doing worse than terrible at posting fishing reports this year (obviously!) but I have posted pics and short stories most days on my Instagram (@greatlakesbass www.instagram.com/greatlakesbass/), Twitter (@GreatLakesBass twitter.com/greatlakesbass) and Facebook (@greatlakesbass www.facebook.com/greatlakesbass).

If I remember right, the water temp was already down to a chilly 43 degrees that day. I definitely remember I had a BLAST!!! 2nd best day ever on Stony for me (though you have to remember I've only fished it since about midsummer this year)! The blue-silver Bullet Blade was the smoking hot one for much of the day. Bigger profile for a comparable lighter weight due to being tin instead of lead. Softer vibration too I think. Different fall.

I don't recall 3 blade baits...?? But I don't recall lots of things... thought I started with the blue-silver Bullet Blade. I did switch to the gold foil later and caught a few on that too. Only appear to have 1 of the blue-silver Bullet Blades left. I think I have more somewhere but who knows where... I remember thinking the night before that The Spot would probably be where we ended up catching almost all our bass. I was excited about getting there...

I also remember thinking (the night before and several earlier nights!!) with that shallower, soft-bottomed weedy lake that Stony is maybe a lighter blade would turn the bass on. But the bass are average good quality so I wanted a bigger blade - hence the tin Bullet Blade.

Maybe I started out with the more typical blade bait style at first and don't remember that. I think I had the regular style - someone's homemade one - on the previous time we fished Stony recently. Think I caught a small bass on it that day... maybe?

Sure was a fun day for me. I really appreciate cameraguy sticking it out when I wasn't as much fun for him! I had a great time!! Makes me want to fish some more...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: 21XDC on November 08, 2018, 05:03:15 PM

It's all good...  8)

Sorry 21XDC, they were hitting the Bullet Blades so well I didn't even think to try a different brand or type. When it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But, I have been using the ones you gave me quite a bit the past couple weeks! Caught a handful of small bass (all we caught, not counting icky pike) on a the lighter weighted silver one you gave me. I think you gave me 2 weights - light and 'regular.' Thanks again - I appreciate it! Helps to have a variety to try!

I tracked down and pulled out a few of the actual Silver Buddy's I own and I've been cycling between Bullet Blades, your blades (mostly the light size lately due to fishing locations), some homemade ones another buddy gave me and the Silver Buddy's looking for the hot bite of the day each day!

About a week ago, I had one of your light blades in gold tied on because I was fishing pretty shallow on Round around scattered weeds. I hooked one of my Big Toads on it I had on that day fishing a small sand drop near weed patches! BIG largemouth was easily 5+!! It was the one I lost because I was fumbling for the net (lip-hooked) and let it snag me on my anchor line!! $%@#$%!!

I had to watch it flop around off the anchor rope about 1 foot below my net before it pulled off the hook! Hopefully, I will catch it later... I've only had a tiny number of blade bites my last few days out. Been a mix of hits on the Silver Buddy, the Bullet Blade and your blades.

One of these days I want to watch you work some of those big beautiful blades you make. I'm very intrigued! I actually like blade bait fishing when I'm getting bit, but it bores me to death before long if I'm not finding the bass or getting them to bite my lure... I have to switch around to stay awake!! Which means sometimes I put down all the blades too just for something different to do... I have been getting about as many bites the past few days on a mix of darters and lipless cranks shallow as well though I'm trying to spend my time looking out off the break for 'The Mother Lode.' ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

When the water is cold, There is no better lure than a blade bait. PERIOD!  If you are not getting bit, You need to move or fish it slower.... That is all there is to it.  ;)
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

cameraguy

Very nice blades, 21. Do you sell them?

21XDC

Quote from: cameraguy on November 17, 2018, 11:50:30 AM
Very nice blades, 21. Do you sell them?

Not generally... I used to own a lure company and sold 1000's of baits... But I'm not against selling a few as a favor to friends...

Let me know your thoughts... Prices range from $5-$10 each in nickel or gold/brass.... I don't sell the painted ones.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

djkimmel

You need a 'catalog' for those of us who can't remember everything you make and have shown... :D One of these days I want to take a close look at those big ones you've shown before. Those intrigue me.

I went from feeling like I knew how to fish those blade baits to scratching my head more than a little the past couple weeks, but I'm blaming it mostly on bass on Round Lake being weird in real cold water. Was probably fishing too fast or similar because I just about fished the whole lake!

Though the way I've seen bass in places pile up in a tiny area in cold water on many lakes I may have just missed them by a cast or two for all I know... I also saw some things that practically make zero sense that I still haven't figured out...?? But I will. I will... well, I hope so anyways. Maybe I shouldn't have sold all my spoonplugs?!? ;D