Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tuesday, August 14 - Not the report you wanna hear

Started by Revtro, August 17, 2018, 04:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Only read if you're really, really bored and have nothing else to do.  Tuesday sucked.  I got out for a few hours up in Marine City.  I fished deep for the most part hoping the bass would be there as has been the pattern in August/September from back in the good old days.  Well it ain't the good old days, that's for sure.

I started at the ATB wreck on the south side of Fawn.  Found it on the side finder, and fished all around it...nothing.   Moved over to shoreline wreck a fished about 10' shallower on the SE side of Fawn...nothing.  See a pattern developing?   Moved up to the sand piles on the Canadian side...nothing.  Moved up to a good size deep notch above the ferry...nothing.   Moved up to the Power Plant on the US side...nothing.  Marwood Bar area where there are smallies traditionally stacked up this time of year...nothing.   Moved up a bit North to a couple other drifts...nothing.   Ended up the day with you guessed it...NOTHING.   

I believe every time on the water is a learning experience if you'll let it be.  So what did I learn?  IMO I just don't think the bass are using deep water in the river.  For what reasons, I'm not really sure.  I've heard a couple different posits.  1. No bait.  I didn't see any bait balled up on the sonar or at the surface.  2. Colder temps.  I was in 74 degree water if I recall correctly.  3. Water depths.  Possibly the bass don't like it on these old haunts because its a bit deeper than they like.  (Weird tho because in years past I'd catch them 40' deep and sometimes deeper.)   

I would be very interested to hear what smarter people than me might think is the reason the river isn't as productive the past few years.  All I know is that the deep fish don't seem to exist there lately.  I have heard similar reports from many anglers who fish the river annually.  There do appear to be shallow fish here and there in smaller numbers like the kind of stuff Dobson was on in the FLW.  So it doesn't seem the river is devoid of smallmouth.  But I sure do miss that deep, reliable bite.  I hope it rebounds.  Anyway, it was a day of eliminating water I guess. :/
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Hollada

My guess is that they are there, but in different spots than they were in when the water was 2-3 feet lower.  I heard reports on another site of guys getting them on the breaks to the main channel in front of ASP.

Unfortunately, other than Russell and a few by the con ed plant, I've had similar experience.

Tried the lake today.  Fished east and west of the hump.  1 smb and a small Walter.  Back to Golf. 😜😜
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

Revtro

Unfortunately I sold my camera a while ago or I could take a gander down there and see.  I was thinking about the deep areas out off of Mitchel's Bay next.  They gotta be somewhere.  I just hate wasting gas.  Ahhh the Dog Days of Summer.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djfunkebeetz

this upcoming weekend last year (8/24/17) was the Elite Series on St Clair. Which was nice because I experienced a similar August lull in bass fishing and getting to follow the Elite Series allowed me to see where some of those guys were actually catching fish. A lot of them were fishing deeper water along the mile roads, some were in the rivers, but most were in the main lake if I recall correctly. A lot of them were throwing DD crankbaits but I haven't been able to get anything going this year on deep diving cranks. But usually I'll pick up the crankbait, throw it for about 20 minutes, not get bit, and put it back down.

I am in a similar boat, so to speak, with burning gas looking for fish. I keep my boat at 11 and Jefferson and the only place that I know I can go and at least catch some fish right now is the Belle River Hump area and that is a 14 mile boat ride. I have burned so much gas the last month looking for these dang smallies.