Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:09:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's the best rod,reel and line for senko style baits?

Started by Erie660, June 27, 2008, 10:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erie660

What's the preferred equipment for using senkos or other brands? Do you need one special setup for this to fish it right? Also what hooks are the best to use? Thanks.

Cheetam

I like to use spinning gear.  Stradic 2500 with a 7' medium-fast rod.  I usually use 8 to 10 lb flourocarbon line with a 3/0 EWG hook.  I use this set up for light jigs, tubes, shaky heads and even a drop shot.  It's a pretty versatile setup.
Jeff

Durand Dan

I'm probably in the minority, but I use a 6'8" medium heavy rod, 12lb XT, 5/0 hook with an Abu Garcia 5500.  It really resists backlash!! Wierd huh?

Cy

I like a 6' 6" MH spinning rod.  I can skip under stuff better with the 6' 6".  I have a 2500 Daiwa reel with 20lb Power Pro on it.  Then I use a 10 to 14 lb Fluorocarbon leader.  The Fluoro helps the bait sink faster and has lower-vis then the braid.  The braid casts smoothly, helps you fell those lite bites and doesn't jump of the spinning reel like Fluoro can.  I have been very happy with this rig so far this year.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

cr

I like to use a Skip-Gap hook from gamakatsu , a 2 or 3 , seems to keep the bait from sliping down a little better , and works well with all types of plastics . I like spinning gear also , but like to use Power-pro braid with a flouro leader ,ten lb braid with a ten lb leader in the open , twenty lb braid with fifteen lb leader for pitching docks and pontoons.

fishinsmallies

If I'm fishing open water I use Stradic 2500 with 7' medium and 8lb fluoro. If I'm fishing in weedy areas I use Johnny Morris baitcast with 6'6" MH and 14lb fluoro.

I agree with jcheetam that the Stradic 2500 with 7' medium is a very versatile rig. I call it my smally buster.

Revtro

I use a baitcaster most of the time with a 7' MH rod.  But if I'm gonna be skipping under a lot of docks, I'll sometimes go to a 6'6" spinning setup.  I prefer the Mustad Ultra Point EWG hook.  It seems to stay hooked up much more reliably than the Gammi G-Lock IMO.  I think it's the deeper bend.  I prefer a 4/0 hook for the extra weight to help the bait sink.  I'll go to a 2/0 or 3/0 for smaller stick baits such as 3" or 4" Senkos.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

robtheboatman

I love my Powell 702cb, with #12 seagur  and a gammy 2/0 ewg wacky rigged, or 3/0 texposed.
Rob

thedude

skipping docks, MH/F 6'6" spinning rod w/ 20lb power pro if there are a lot of metal docks. Otherwise a 6'6" M spinning outfit w/ 8lb pline or 7'0"  M/F baitcaster with 8 or 12lb pline.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

TCook

Last year I was using a 7' M rod with 8lb flouro and had issues with accuracy and breaking off. This year I bought a 6' M IMX rod paired with a stradic 2500(the action on the shorter IMX rod feels more like a MH) for skipping docks and started using 20lb power pro. My accuracy was better with the shorter rod but the power pro slowed the fall rate on my senkos because it floats so there was less wiggle on the bait, the visibility of braid might play a part as well. I was getting outfished big time with guys who were using flouro so I switched to 10lb seaguar invisx and got alot more bites. I tighten my drag considerably with this setup and have yet to break off a bass this year, and I skip docks a ton.

T
FISH HARD!!!

thedude

they only reason i use the braid is for lakes with zebra musells.. theres 2 or 3 i fish where docks are usually good for some better fish and many of the them have steel pilings and mussells on them... typically i would just use 8lb pline.. its what i always used in indiana and skipping docks is about all i ever did. If its especially clear water i will use a short 1'-2' floro leader.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Lightningboy

I like casting gear for the senko, I can be more accurate.  Especialy when I'm fishing cover, which is mostly where I use the senko.  I've got the original Kistler senko special; I wore it out pretty good so it's been rewrapped spiral, extra cork cut off, & extended it to 7 feet.  On top a Shimano scorpion, loaded with 14# fluoro. 

I've tried braid with fluoro leaders, and went back to the straight fluoro.  Since the line sinks it helps the senko with a straight fall when you pitch it into cover.  Also, when I let the bait fall I keep it semi-slack.  The fluoro helps me detect those bites.  Darn tough stuff in cover too.

It always makes me grin, the number of bonus bass I've gotten in a tournament letting that senko drift while I retie/fix something/take a leak... ;)

Got Fish??

everyone has a reel that feels comfortable in your hand.I don't think the reel is a big issue, but the rod and the line could make the difference in the amount of fish you put in the boat.I like to use a 6.6ft or 7ft med with 8lb momo. Tie on a small swivel then an eight inch leader of 8lb momo, and then a 3 or 4 ott offset hook. The swivel keeps the line from twisting, and the 8lb momo lets the sinko fall naturaly

fiker

I use a 6'0 Cabelas Fish Eagle II.  Power Pro 14# line that has about  a 3'   8 lb. fluorocarbon leader attached with a uni to uni knot. 
The reel is a Shimano Symetre.
For hooks I usually use a Gamagatsu 3/0 EWG superline hook.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Waterfoul

I keep two senko rods in the boat... one for open water and one for docks/boats.

Open water is a 6'8" St. Croix Legend Medium Extra fast rod with a Quantum Catylist strung with 15 lb YELLOW power pro line and a 10 lb P-line floro leader.  Love the yellow line for detecting those infelt bites.  I like the 1/0 Gamagatzu EWG hooks for this set up.

Dock rod is a 6' Fenwick Eagle... medium fast strung with 10 lb Gamma copolymer.  I just started using this rod and am NOT done experimenting with it yet.  May be changing the line soon... etc... been using the 3/0 Gamagatzu skip gap hook so far to t-rig the senko to avoid snagging docks/boats.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bshaner

I also have 2 rods for senkos.  For docks I use a 6' medium casting B&R outlaw rod with pistol grip great for roll casting and skipping.   For open water I use a GLoomis senko rod.  It's longer which I like because I side arm underhand cast it or pitch to precise targets in the grass/stumps.  Both rods I use a Chronarch 50mg (thanks alot McCarter for getting me addicted to them) with 8 lb seaguar invisx.  My hook of choice is an Owner Mosquito hook #1 wacky rigged.  On lakes where I know I'll be catching numbers of smaller fish I'll use a plastic O-ring because those pesky dinks love to shake off a senko.

I've never met an inland lake I couldnt catch atleast a couple fish on a senko.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Got Fish??

The make of fishing rod is not the issue It is what the rod is made of that can be the difference between fish or nofish. At least a 60 millian graphit shaft or more is going to let you feel every pebble, stone, weed and bite through your rod. Remember this is feness fishing

bshaner

I'm having trouble connecting this:

Quote from: Erie660 on June 27, 2008, 10:55:47 AM
What's the preferred equipment for using senkos or other brands? Do you need one special setup for this to fish it right? Also what hooks are the best to use? Thanks.

To this:

Quote from: Got Fish?? on August 03, 2008, 12:24:28 PM
The make of fishing rod is not the issue It is what the rod is made of that can be the difference between fish or nofish. At least a 60 millian graphit shaft or more is going to let you feel every pebble, stone, weed and bite through your rod. Remember this is feness fishing

I have to disagree.  The make of the rod makes a huge difference, specifically quality, dependability and if nothing else - angler confidence.  My brand may not be your preferred brand, but it's the one I am most confident with.

I may be in the minority here but when I am senko fishing I am primarily on slack line and line watching, not feeling for bites.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

fiker

Joshimoto once told me, "Ricker, you'll catch a lot more fish on a slack line, than you will on a tight line."  He was/is right.

I have trouble seeing the line.  I don't know why, but I do.  I use a braided line, and maybe that's why, I don't know.  But I end up catching more fish when I feel them, than when I see the line move.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

bigjc

I use a mainly two rods for senko's: Kister 6' 9" Graphite Plus spinning in open water or wacky or 6' 9" MH Kistler All Purpous Helium, they actually make a Senko special 6' 10" MH

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-gp-worm-fishing-jig-rods/KSS610.html

JC