Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's the best rod,reel and line for senko style baits?

Started by Erie660, June 27, 2008, 10:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

Quote from: fiker on August 03, 2008, 08:26:38 PM
Joshimoto once told me, "Ricker, you'll catch a lot more fish on a slack line, than you will on a tight line."  He was/is right.

I have trouble seeing the line.  I don't know why, but I do.  I use a braided line, and maybe that's why, I don't know.  But I end up catching more fish when I feel them, than when I see the line move.

Try Fireline crystal...I don't like the handling characteristics of Fireline as much as other brands, but I am like you If it is raining or overcast I can't see Stren or power pro..So I have a rig ready with fireline at all times just in case..I bought some stren Microfuse to try yesterday..I haven't tried it yet so I won't comment on that line.

Northern Bass Bum

I also use two set-ups for Senko's as of now.

In tight cover, I like to use a G-Loomis GL3, 6'6' MH, Fast Action Spinning rod,(SJR783),/Pflueger Supreme 8035MG loaded with 10- or 12-lb. Trilene XL. XL is the way to go on spinning reels; XT is way too hard!

In open water or submerged weedbeds, I opt for a St.Croix Legend Tournament Bass "Finesse", 6'8'', M, X-Fast Action Spinning rod, (LTBS68MF),/Daiwa Tierra TDTR1500 loaded with 6- to 10-lb. Trilene XL.

-NBB :)
Bass Fishing... What can I say, I'm hooked!

Got Fish??

take a look on the shaft of your best rod you use for fishing senkos. Look at what the rod is made of! I think you will find the better rods have A higher amount of grafite 40,60,80. Those rod are more $ .The brand name has no effect on weather your going to catch more FISH! If it was all up too watching your slack line, Than a canepole and kite string would work just fine

bshaner

Quote from: Got Fish?? on August 19, 2008, 01:51:29 PM
take a look on the shaft of your best rod you use for fishing senkos. Look at what the rod is made of! I think you will find the better rods have A higher amount of grafite 40,60,80. Those rod are more $ .The brand name has no effect on weather your going to catch more FISH! If it was all up too watching your slack line, Than a canepole and kite string would work just fine

Seriously??  ???

I just know I'm getting into a pointless arguement but... I dont think you are considering the entire picture.  If just the satisfaction of hooking a fish is what you are after then I'll go ahead and concede your point.  Yup, I can do that with an ugly stick (although I'd have to put alot more muscle into it).

It's everything that happens prior to and as a  result of that hookset that the make/model of a rod can distinctly influence.

Just a tad bit extreme with the whole canepole and kite string thing?  :-\'

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

bshaner

Fiker,

If I'm insulting your intelligence and you already know this please disregard, but it goes to answer directly the original poster's question about line.

When wacky rigging and weightless plastic fishing particularly with small octopus and mosquito type hooks using braid and tight line is a recipe for disaster in my personal opinion.

Here's why I say that.  Braid obviously has no stretch.  With those type hooks you do not want to set the hook or you'll pull the hook right out of the fish's mouth 9 out of 10 times.  The hooks are designed to let the fish load up the rod and hook himself, generally in the corner of the mouth.  As such I want the fish to have the time to turn and run with the bait before I make contact so that it is positioned to the inside corner of his mouth.  If you set the hook when you feel the bite you may just rip it away before he even has a chance to swallow it.  You want a tip with a little give but strong backbone and you want something with a bit more forgiveness than braid.

Again, opinions vary, this is just mine.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Got Fish??

All manufactures of fishing rods make a lowend and a highend quality rod, my input is on fishing rods. I'm not questioning your choice in brand name, but in quality of that fishing rod. And YES is'nt hooking more fish the whole point here?

Skulley

I use a canepole and kite string for my senko fishing and I put all kinds of fish in the boat.    :P

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dashaver63

I have been using Berkley Lightning Rods for a long time, and I pair them with Pflueger President spinning reels. I have no problem feeling bites what so ever. It does come down to what gear you have confidence in, or in my case, what I can afford. The biggest issue I think isn't being able to feel the bites, but recognizing a bite. Different rods have different feel so you have to adjust to what ever you are using. Thats why most pro's have 20 of the same rod/reel's set up for each application. I use 8lb. test p-line floroclear for my Senko fishing and line watching is a definate must. All you'll see is a little jump when a fish sucks it in, but I always wait that extra second or 2 when the line starts to move a little then set the hook. Just my .02 cents worth of my opinion on this matter. (or .0163 cents due to inflation)

skeeterman190

Well anyone who knows me knows that im a senko fishing fool! I catch a ton of fish on them and fish them all the time. my set up is a 6'6" MH shimano compre rod (spinning) with a 2500 stradic and 10lb xps. (or last weekend seaguar) i fish boat docks and pontoons with this set up and have caught a ton of fish. yeah ive lost some too but thats the breaks. im learning as we speak to get my skipping down with a baitcaster. im gonna have to invest in a new setup for it though. so by next year ill be fishing a 6'6" kistler baitcaster with a chronarch50mg. with 12lb xps flouro.oh yeah and ill be throwing my NEMESIS stik bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

wacky

i'm a rookie so take this for what it's worth!!! i use a 7'2 m cumara with a sol spinning setup and you can feel a minnow swim by lol. i use 10lb power pro with about 5ft of pline halo leader for light plastics.

Got Fish??

Money dosenot have to be a big factor here. Alot of tackle companies make a good high quality rod with a high number of carbonfiber in thier blanks, Basspo, Fluger,Quantun......ete  Just make sure your not buying that rod just for it's name. buy it for is qualty. I am a working stiff myself. I order to fish I have to bugget my tackle too