Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Les Cheneaux Islands Area

Started by blakstr1, February 20, 2006, 08:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

I believe there was a state fish-off here a few years ago, has anybody fished these northern waters in the last couple years ???..maybe around Mackinaw Island? How about in the past, I imagine they were good..

just curious.. ???

http://www.lescheneaux.org/
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Andy

Ya I remmber that one. That was quite a few years back  :-\' When I was there the fishing very much sucked I did fish the Island but know luck. The fish that I got into were across the bay by Mackinaw I think. There is a river that comes in there and I got fish going in there on weed patches. That all I can remmber. The river had a lock if that helps.

djkimmel

Sounds a little like the Cheboygan River.

Haven't fished Les Chen. since that event. I only found a few spots and the boats were swarming on each other. It's a huge vast area with a ton of dead water. There's some big ones when you find them in a small area.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

CuradoKev

The Les Cheneaux Islands = heaven on earth  ;D

I've been going to Hessel,MI every summer since I was 1 (about 33 years now). Anyways, fished for pike all those years and then I got into bass fishing around 12 years ago. There are a TON of smallies right around all the docks at Hessel and east to Hessel Bay. My folks go up every year from mid-July to August, the locals that bass fish (not many do) gave up on 5lb'ers. Those were too easy. The  6-7 lb'ers are now considered trophys.

There are 3 entrances into the islands: West Entrance goes into were Hessel is. Middle Entrance takes you to Cedarville and East entrance is Drummond Island.

The guys from the BFL with the big jewels will cross the straits into this area. If I was a boater I would spend Tue/Wed in the islands practicing and run it. However, I'm not sure you can run Mullet to the straits ?? I think it is around 26 miles from Mullet exit to Middle entrance frm my google earth estimate. Could be a helluva ride back but 6 foot swells have to be easier then the Erie chop  ;D

If you are SERIOUS about going, email me (curadokev at yahoo dot com) and I'll tell you what I know.

Ckev
SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

djkimmel

I made the run into Mullett Lake from Les Cheneaux Islands the first day of that definitely unique state championship. I wish I knew now about Mullett what I didn't know then, but live and learn. It was time-consuming because of the long no-wake and the lock, and we did have some real rough seas running across. Not a lot of fishing time left, but it could and should have paid off big.

At the time, the islands basically had two spots - near Hessel and near Cedarville. Everyone piled in on each other in two huge coffee clatches. It could be different in this case because only a few will probably attempt the run (if any).

If you go to the islands on your own, be aware that there are a zillion acres of promising looking water and only about 10 acres hold a lot of smallies (maybe) based on our previous experience. Maybe Kev could help someone add some acres to that figure. You also want to confirm the MDNR will have the lock staffed when you leave and come back, even if you are just going out in to Horton Bay.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

canvsbk

This thread confirms what I already surmised: you guys are as crazy as me!
Quite a run you're talking about here........
Look past what they want you to see.

CuradoKev

What I do know ...Maybe not much...

Since I've spent the summer in Hessel...I will tell you this...Due to water dropping in last 5 years, Hessel has the smallies all around any docks in front of hessel and all docks down to the East into Hessel Bay. Also, as run east into Hessel bay there are little "cuts" into "rice/reed" fiels were it gets to be 5-6 foots of shallows. The cuts are to your left just before you get to the channel which runs east to midddle entrance and then Cedarville. The water has constant current through those fields and smalllies cruise all over. I will guarantee you it is ALOT better fishing that it was when the federation was there.

In the middle entrance, there is a shallow bay called "Duck Bay" (all the way back on your left (west) going back in Middle entrance) and there is a very deep hole on other side of the island in that bay. Senkos, senkos and did I say senkos - LOL

That's not much but if you run it, 20 lbs should be fair game if not 22-24 if you got some good ones. Of course, if smallies on beds I guess you can get that much form Burt/Mullet ?? I don't know, never been on Burt/Mullet.

Ckev
SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

djkimmel

I imagine the water drop has changed things in the Islands. Always good to get some interesting fishing info about any area. I would not be surprised if someone makes the run, but yes, there will be some huge bags out of Burt and Mullett too.

The last big spawn tournament a couple seasons ago saw 26+ winning, with 21+ I think to get in the money. Something like 40 teams had over 19 pounds. It could be an excellent weigh in, but as canvsbk pointed out, we are all a little crazy, so it's good to have options.