Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:58:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

DK Open report

Started by dartag, May 04, 2008, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

had a great day on the water.  started off with a 12 mile run south in 2 footers to get remember what st-clair is like.  started a little slow then caught our first keeper 19 inch smallie.  as i was unhooking it Jeff hooked a clone to it on one of his custome painted crankbaits.  he called it Goby, i kind of thought it was Fishnet stockings with rips color.  we measured it and it was 19 also.  we figured we were on to them.  fished for another hour there and caught a few small ones.  it was getting rougher and raining so we decided to head back up lake.  caught lots of 14-16 inch fish.  did catch 3 more that were 17-17 1/2.  fished one point and caught fish on almost every cast for a while.  Jeff caught a small musky and pike.  came back in for the paper weigh in. Lots of laughs and stories.   finished about where we did last year.  thanks to Wonderland Marine for the Ranger and Stratos hats.  woke up this morning with sore arms and back from another great day on SC.

thanks Dan for a fun event.

here is a photo of Jeff and his crankbait.  i think it will be listed in the next Victoria Secret catalog.

Cheetam

My back is sore from the ride, my neck and shoulder is sore from throwing that DD14 all day.  It did feel good to get that nice one as the first fish on that bait (btw I'm talking with Victoria about her secret right now, keep your eyes pealed).  Thanks for not posting any photos of yourself...my ugly mug is enough for one post...lol.  I don't know how many fish we ended up catching off of that point (at least 40-50?), but it had to be one massive school of fish (all 14-17 inches) to keep catching them like that.  Thanks for the trip Steve, I'm going to be calling my chiropractor in the morning....
Jeff

TCook

5-2

Me and 1Jav headed to st clair friday morning to check some things out. We started out at about 9AM drifting the mile roads from 11 to 9 mile in 7-9 ft. We would run into pods of smallies it seemed in the same specific stretch of our drifts and got some good waypoints. We found the quality was mixed from mostly 2-3 pounders and occasional 5-6's, nothing in between. Herman landed one that went 5 1/4 and missed a 6 at the boat, and we cought about 40 to this point. We fished until about 2PM and decided to head in since the thunder and lightning was approaching fast. On the way in his trolling motor almost ripped through the fiberglass on a set of larger waves.
   After 2 hours of reatatching the trollingmotor in the parking lot with some larger bolts in thunderstorms we were ready to head back out. We got back out on the water at about 4:30 and the wind was howling and now we had to deal with 3-4 footers rolling through the mile roads, had to throw two driftsocks to slow our drift at this point. Not to mention we were the only boat as far as the eye could see. We fished for a couple more hours and cought about 20 more 2-3's and missed all 4 of the 5-6's we had hooked up with. Dont know what the problem was but all 4 would throw our tubes on the first or second jump. Anyways think positive, atleast we knew they were there and Herman had a gameplan for the DK.

5-3

I was paired up with Skip Johnson (castnblast) and we headed to an area in anchor bay. He found some prespawners on a spinnerbait bite and I was thankfull we would be doing something different than dragging tubes. On my second cast I put a 5-3 (golden rule weight) in the boat, realisticly probably a 6 pound fish. About 20 min later I had 16 pounds in the boat on 4 fish. Then skip decided to join the party and started getting in to them good. We were culling all day by a few ounces at a time, most were 3-3 1/2 (golden rule). Later in the day I got another big girl to bite and it went 4-12 and skip stuck a solid 4. We figured we needed one more big bite to seal the deal, but it never happened for us. On one of the fish that the golden rule said was 2-14 we decided to see how inacurate it was with these fat st clair smallies, so we weighed it. His scale weighed 3oz light and said 3-10, so 3-13. 15oz difference on that fish alone and they all looked like that. That just shows how great the fishing is on St Clair right now, I did't want to leave. I actually tried to get 1Jav to head back out after the weigh in.
   All in all I had a great time with castnblast and he showed me some neat things on st clair, thanks man. We probably cought about 40 and ended up with 21-8, good enough for 2nd place and 3oz out of first. Congrats to MadWags on 1st place with 21-11. Also props to 1Jav for getting 3rd place with 19-10 and a 5-2 hog with only his second time fishing lake st clair. Thanks to the sponsors of the DK open for the great prizes and thanks to Dan for putting it on.

FISH HARD!!!

Revtro

Well the Mile Roads were definitely slower than they had been all the previous week.  We averaged about 2 fish per hour.  We only had 4 in the boat with 10 minutes left when I stuck one that went 5 even on the Golden Rule.  Ended up with 17-10...respectable, but not what we needed. 

It seems I should have fished Anchor Bay, but felt committed to the Mile Roads since they were fishing so strong the past week.  Some good news was the St. Clair Crayfish from Xtreme produced more than any other color of tube that day.  The two fish we had in the 4lb range came on a spinnerbait in 8FOW. 

It got kind of rough and wet for about an hour or so, but that's St. Clair for ya.  We just hunkered down and eeked out a limit the best we could.  I had a great partner (WolfFisherman) who got most of our better keepers.  We had a great time and I really enjoyed the company.  Lot's of good fish stories to fill the day.

Afterwards, a bunch of us headed out to Ram's Horn to compare stories and enjoy each other's company.  Dan, thanks for another fun tournament.  I love these low-pressure fun tourneys. 

I really enjoyed also, meeting some of the guys, but it's funny that you need to know 2 names for each guy!...one screen name and then his real name.  Andy, Ryan, 1Jav, The Dude, it was great to meet you guys.  Laporte, DurandDan, it was nice to see you again!  I hope you had as fun of a day as I did.  Bill, Vince, and the rest of the guys, it was great that you guys made the drive out...let's not wait until the next DK, to get out fishing again.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

thedude

i'm calling my first trip out on st. clair "curse of the green carp"

Langer and I started at the apartments by the mile roads, pulled up into 6-7 FOW and Brian lands the first fish of the day... a rock bass... then i get short LM, then another short LM and then a rock bass and then a short LM and then a short LM.... at which point i said to my self "well thats odd" drifting tubes and catching all LM.... bummer!

we moved down into the pack on the mile roads and brian picked up a small keeper SM and 1 or 2 shorts.... we hit the canals when it started raining and picked up a nice 3lb LM on a karu vibraspin and then went something like 5 short LMs in 6 casts further on down. The current was coming down the main canal pretty good and thats were the fish were.... so not getting any bites further back we decided to change it up and head north. Went to anchor bay and brian picked up another small keeper SM as we dragged through a channel. we moved out and drifted what felt like some great gravel for about a mile and nothing. We got to weighin and didn't even turn in our sheet! :D I realized that i didn't even catch a smallie all day! a few missed hits on tubes but thats it.

then for the long drive home... pulled into my driveway at 8:30pm. i was supposed to get up again at 3:00am to fish a salmon tourney on lake michigan today, but lucky for me it got cancelled and i got to sleep in, cuz my bones were hurting this morning!
oh well, i'll be back! Maybe a day or 2 of practice next time ;)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

1javelin

Well Tim told the story of the day for Friday, so here goes my Saturday.
    I was paired up with Mark (Basscat), and first things first we went to check out some of his spots in Anchor Bay.  Chocolate Milk.  Not a good sign.  Gravel felt great, but the fish weren't there, and it didn't help that some guys were anchored over a good spot of his.  So, we decide to hit some of the points I had on the mile roads.  First couple casts and Mark flips a 19 something.  Wow, I'm on the fish for sure now.  He proceeds to keep cutting in line and going out of turn, catching the next 5 or 6 fish.  Finally he talks me into switching over to Canadian Mist.  Couldn't talk me down in weight, but changed the color.  This is a good time to say I have never used an Xtreme Tube, but I was satisfied with them after the day was over.  I caught a few, then lost it on a fish as I set the hook.  At this time we had our 5 keepers and then some, and I was looking for a big fish.  I changed my colors slightly to a Smoke w/ purple and black, no shiny stuff.  Must have been the ticket, cause on my second or third cast to the side I hooked a log, hoping to win the junk fish contest with it.  When she cleared the water I knew it was on, it was a huge smallie.  We netted her and as I freaked out I got her measured.  20 3/4"s!!!!!!  She had to have weighed all of 6, or darn close!!  No pictures, as it was pouring rain and I wasn't going to get my phone wet to get a picture, though it was the biggest smallie I have ever landed!!  Needless to say we finished 3rd with 19lb. 10 oz.  Tied with kimmel, but we had a pig to break the tie.  Thanks Dan for the great event, Mark for the friendly conversation, I will be back, and everyone else who helped make my first trip to St. Clair memorable.  CR and Revtro Tom for helping me out a little with what was going on at the lake, and everyone else for the comraderie.  I'll be back guys, and looking for some more big fish!!

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Skip Johnson

Had a great day fishing with you Tim heres a sweet pic of that big bass you got on your second cast.
thanx to the peeps who donated the prizes, I got some cool stuff. those tube jig heads from csfishslayer look awesome, the spinnerbaits and chatter baits from KaRu look like fish killers I cant wait to test them and nemises pours some great baits Ive been fishing their baits for a couple years and their awesome and now I got a few more thanx.

I enjoyed meeting more forum members and Im already hoping we have another next year at st clair I just hope the wind isnt quite as strong as the last couple years allthough my style fishes best in the wind this time of year and we sure wacked the heck out of a ton of big smallies ;D
Go Big or Go Home!

Ryan

Thanks Dan for putting on another fun DK Open.  I fished with BrianB and had a great time on the water.  We started off by running down to the mile roads and fishing in 5 to 7 feet of water.  Brian caught the first couple of fish, including one of 4 lbs, on tubes before I started catching some smallies on an X-Rap.  I caught about a half dozen fish on the jerkbait, but only one was a keeper and after watching Brian catch 2 more over 4 on a tube along with some other bass and a sheephead, I just had to switch.  I ended up catching a couple more with one going a little over three on the tubes.  We figured we would need to upgrade those two bass, but just couldn't quite do it.

All in all, I had a bunch of fun with Brian and we had a lot of good laughs and I think that we can both agree that a career in Meteorology may not be my best bet! ;D  Congratulations to the winners for bringing in a great weight on a less then ideal day and thanks to all the sponsors for donating a lot of great prizes.  It was also fun eating dinner with a good group of the guys and riding to the tournament with Vince and Bill was definetly a good time.

Thanks Again Dan.
-Ryan

djkimmel

I'm so glad everyone made it! We had an even number of 17 boaters and 17 nonboaters. Worked out real well. I fished with new member MIBasser who definitely jumped in with both feet fishing the event and his first trip ever to the big St Clair.

BTW, MIBasser can you send me that picture of my first St. Clair bass of the 2008 season? I hope it's a good sign to catcha 4-12 as your first bass of the year out there!?! We both thought it was a muskie when it first came up!!! You have to like that!! :D

Glad everyone had a good time. I hope we hear more stories. I'll have pictures posted later tonight along with some of the story.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LAPORTE

Not much to report :) I was paired up with CR and rode along in his boat and wow what a nice boat Ranger Z-520. It was a slow start for us I think we got our first fish around 9am my first fish came at high noon. our highlight of the day was our only double that we had. It was a smallie for CR and a nice rock bass for me. I almost brought that fish in for junk fish (but it was a bass). Even not having a good bite going. it was still a good time out. CR is a great time to chat with. Maybe if I spent more time fishing and not talking I might have done better?  I look forward to fishing with him again I'm sure we will get them next time. Any day on Clair (even Saturday) is better than doing work around the house... thanks for you hospitality Chuck. I hope to have you come down to Belleville this summer to do some river fishing...

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

cr

Hi Don, I too enjoyed the conversation, but I take full responsibility for for our poor showing . Hindsight being 20/20,I wish we had stayed at the mile roads . Still,as you state ,better than a day on the couch.I'm ready to redeem myself any time you can get off work,lets try it again. Great meeting everbody though and putting some faces to the names on here . CR

Briboy

(I just got done reading, and I can't post more the 4 pix in my post :-[
So, I will have to do multiple posts I guess  :)
I will just do all the text here, and then post all the pix in more posts.

Well, what can I say.......... A lot actually, as this is going to be a LONG post, with lots of pix :)

First off I want to thank my buddy Waje, Waggs, Waggy, Madwaggs for inviting me in town, not only to fish the tournament but, to show me Lake St. Clair and how awesome of a fishery it is. This was my first time/trip (of many now I hope) trips to this awesome lake and it by far superseded ANY of MY expectations !!!!! I am soooooooo JEALOUS of all you guys as you truly have a gem of a fishery over (well actually up there). I have heard many/numerous stories from Waggs over the years as well as what I have read, heard on my own. As I now sit here back outside of Chicago (home  :() I am already dreaming of the next time/trip I can make out there to this awesome fishery. You guys are spoiled :) Like Waggs put it, "how are you going to go back and fish all that "dirty water" (is where most of my tournaments occur)...... I truly don't know as it just won't be the same ;) Also thanks to his Nephew Jason (JayMadWags) for showing me the lake too, fishing with us, keeping me laughing, and just a good time overall. Waggs, you are a hell of a fisherman, with vast knowledge of that lake, and a great friend, THANKS, AGAIN WAJE !!!!!

Dan, thank you for putting on this fun event. It was nice to see you again, as the last time I saw you was in Jan. when I was working the Novi show in the Grandt Rods booth. To all the guys I met too, was nice to meet you and hope to see you out there again next time I come into town. (Which can't be soon enough) at this point !!!!

Waggs called me up last weekend (him and Jason were pre-fishing) and told me he was on some TOADS.... Would have had 24 pounds if the tourney was on that day !!! So, I could not wait to get into town and go and bang those PIGS up !! I flew in on Thur. May 1st in the afternoon and Waggs was waiting at the airport to pick me up. Got out on the water late afternoon, about 4:00 - 4:30ish.
Right off that bat we started banging them up. I was throwing a craw colored lipless crank and whacked about a 3-1/2 pounder.
Waggs, was tossing a jerk bait and smacking them big time !!
My first Lake St. Clair smallie..... I was ecstatic, to say the least !
My buddy Waggs, just laughed and said "wait till we get on the toads" we fished for only a few hours and not bad for my first time on the lake. BriBoy 9 smallies-----Waggs 13 smallies  ;D our biggest that short time was just over 4 pounds.

Fri. May 2nd......
Well, here comes the rain, and HARD !!! Not to mention the WIND....HOLY KIRKIE !!!!!! That was pretty crazy at times, as Waggs told me how MAD and ANGRY that lake can get. Little to my knowledge, that was mild compared to what we would encounter later on, that day and on Sat. tournament day........  :-\'
With the rain was hard to get pix but, we did manage to get some....
This day, we tried some different areas, as we knew where the toads were hanging out but, in case of bad weather (as all you guys know) we were supposed to get on Sat. we wanted to check out some different areas..... So, we fished Anchor bay, a couple of flats and tried some different things.... I did get my biggest (well so far) on that day. She was a 4.7 pounder on a Grandt 25th anniversary rod :P
Not to mention Waggs just picked that up at or last show in Minnesota, so it was the FIRST fish on this rod !! You guys really need to check out those anniversary rods !! They are truly AWESOME (well ALL OUR RODS ARE) with the best warranty...
Unconditional lifetime warranty, no matter HOW you break it !!!
-------- now back to the story---------It was cool to see all the planes cruzing overhead, like the KC135 re-fueler, and all the fighters. Not to mention all the ammo I could hear being shot, blown off !!! On this day someone was having a hell of a time with some kind of automatic weapon/mortars, shooting the crap out of something, was pretty cool. We ended up with a lot of fish, including some 5 pounders.... I was truly impressed and stoked for tomorrow, Sat. tournament day !! All fish came on different baits on this day. Jerk baits, cranks, spinners and of course tubes !! That tube is pretty deadly out there. Yep, Waynes St. Clair Craw tube. That bait would turn out to be the winning bait for us...... We were hoping not to have to drag tubes all day but, as you all know, mother nature had different plans for all of us on Sat.

Sat. May 3rd............
Tourney day ;D
Well, the weather did look pretty freighting, to say the least, as all of you guys know. After meeting some of you, paying our HUGE entry fee ;) we were ready to get on way..... WINDS were HOWLING at like 20 to 30 MPH..... THAT was unreal, and I was not ready for what was next......... We go to our first spot, Dan was close and Jayson was also near us. After watching Dan put some fish in the boat, have a bend in his rod, were ready to work our first spot.
Well it turned out we can up blank there :o and I was freaking out !!
Waggs told me not to worry, "we will find them" he was so right !!!
Also we watched Jayson whack his 5-12 right in front of us, right on OUR SPOT !!!!! Just kidding Jayson, you guys were close but, not on/in it..... Just messing with you  ;) After watching him whack that TOAD, Me and Waggs still were empty, zeroed, zilch, nada, SKUNKED for first 1.5 hours of the tourney and I was getting worried !!! What is going on, we were on some good fish here the day(s) before ????
Well, even with the weather as BAD as it was getting OMG !! Me and Waggs decided to make the LONG run down to the mile roads were we had been whacking TOADS...... What a good choice that was !!!
I will say this though....... HOLY $#%@&$*$&@%^@% What a ride that was !!!!!!! After we finally got there, I looked at Waggs and said "you are BEEPING CRAZY" that is the ROUGHEST ride I have ever been on, either driving my own boat, or as a non boater..... He literally laughed at me again, and said... "that was not bad for this lake, I have been in MUCH WORSE"..... OMG I thought !!!!
Well, we were worried about going all the way down there as with the wind, we thought the water would be to mucked up, not clear, like chocolate milk !! Well, was not to bad actually, thank god...
Well, down there (Mile roads) wind was whipping MORE then up where we launched, and here comes the storm. WOW, did we get whacked with rain !!!! So, all we could do is drag tubes...... Well, after doing this and getting some fish, and some real nice fish we decided to make an executive decision. We had decent weight but, we both knew it probably was not enough to win. We stayed at the Mile roads but, we moved deeper, as they were not where they had been all week due to the weather..... As we made out first drift, boy oh boy......... It is now about 12:15- 12:30ish. On or first drift over deeper water (about 8 to 11 feet) I whack a 5.2 pounder on a tube !!
Yea buddy this is it, we found them we said ;D I then whack one well over 4 pounds, Waggs whacks a few nice ones and were are right back in it !!! We continue to make a few more drifts over the same spot and ALL of our fish, came off that drift !!! We caught soooo many was almost sick !! From 2 pound clowns all they way up to that 5.2 pounder I got which ended up to be our biggest (till that point  ;) ) on that spot..... Well, it was almost time to go in, so we headed back. What a ride again that was ! Stopped at the mile road hump for a few min. Were marking fish and after a few casts we whack another good smallie...... So we upgraded our catch/limit with like 20 min to go. Now time to go in.... we head back, add up our weight and adds up to 21-11...... Not terrible but, after seeing Dan sticking them, and Jayson whack that 5-12 next to us at the start of the tourney, we were not sure as you know how that goes... If they were on them all day, we did not stand a chance !!
It turns out that we did have enough weight to win :o Ended up with 21-11 and beat out Skip by ONLY 3 ounces... WOW, that was close.
All and all a good day with terrible conditions but, we made a good decision and the right time and as all you guys know, sometimes you gamble and it pays off, sometime it does not. Thanks to everyone we participated in the DK open as was alot of fun.
--------Here is where is gets CRAZY--------I tell my buddy Waggs, "you know were going back out to the drift again, right??" He looks at me and says... "Your nuts!!!!" Not the first time I have been told that ;) The winds are now 30MPH gusts, we have rain and T-storms way worse than during the tourney, and now there is 3' rollers across the lake !!!!!! I tell him, we all have rain gear, you know the lake, and if it gets that bad we come in.... So, we drive back to by where Waggs lives, and dump the boat in again !! Well, it started raining like a MOTHER !!!!! Black skies, thunder heads.... the whole nine yards !!!!!!! we proceed out to that same rock/drift that we made during the tourney. The "winning pattern" as I kept telling Jayson as he came back out with us to fish, and he was also glad he did !!!! While all you guys went in, home, for lunch, ECT..... We were whacking them like CRAZY !!! That front that came in sure turned on ALL BIG FISH !!!!! We were the only boat out on the water (GO FIGURE) as the coast guard chopper flew over a couple of times probably to check on us. They were probably saying look as the CRAZY SOB's in a bass boat with T-storms and 3' rollers !!!!!!!! Needless to say, what an unreal time we had. Probably made that same drift (in the pouring rain and 3' rollers) about 10 to 12 times...... we DID NOT catch a fish under 3 pounds !!!!!!! Was absolutely UNREAL !!!!!!!! We got numerous 4 pounders, numerous 5 pounders, and I got the biggest smallie of my life !!!!!!! A whopping 6.2 pounds on the digital scale !!!!!! ;D :D :o......... (pics to come in next post guys) We even had numerous doubles, as Jayson and I whacked 2 (two) 4-1/2 pounders at the same time !!!!!! Almost had a triple but, Waggs lost his, as she was flying through the air :-[
Jayson even bagged a Walleye on a Green Goby tube !!
(Goby tube, goby tube.... sung to the theme of spider man)
Oh and don't forget about Mr. Green Jeans...... Yea, yea, yea LOL
Sorry guys, inside joke on the boat at that time as were we just silly cuz the fishing was so great, and at this time enjoying a few beers  ;) Jayson got some nice ones on that Green Goby tube. All of our fish came on Waynes St. Clair Craw.... WHAT A GREAT BAIT for those waters !!!!!! Everyone came on that color tube !!!!
We probably whacked 25 to 35 smallies, again which NOT ONE was under 3 pounds !!!!!! Was quite a sight to see, be a part of and I am just glad I was, I talked Waggs to going back out.... THANKS AGAIN WAGGY  ;D I did witness 2 (two) things I have NEVER SEEN BEOFRE though....... There was soooooooo much static electricity (not lighting, just static) that you would cast, and your line would rise up towards the sky about 20' in the air !!!!!! HOLY KRIKIE.... that was bizarre !!!!!! Next, the wind and waves were so big, wind was blowing so hard, you would see water blowing on top of water !!!!!!! Again HOLY KRIKIE....... Some things I have never seen before but, the fishing was TRULY AWESOME !!!!! ;D

Sun. May 4th........
Went up the Detroit river to try for some Walleyes as I wanted to bring some back to Chicago to eat. Only ended up with one, as the bluebird skies I'm sure had a lot to do with that. So, the one Jayson caught on Sat. after the tournament and the one Waggs caught on Sun. were the only 2 I came home with, Thanks guys for giving ne your fish to bring home and eat :) Walleyes were not bighting so we went back into lake St. Clair to bang up those toads again.... Well wind was howling again at over 20 MPH, and it was cool/brisk out. Jayson put on a schooling with a Jerk bait !! He was killing us !!
Waggs got some also in a Jerk bait, and I also got a nice one over 4 pounds on a Jerk bait but, Jayson was taking us to town on that thing !! I did manage a few nice ones on a spinner bait too. We then proceeded to go and drag some tubes again (go figure :o)
Even though we got a lot of fish, the biggest was just shy of 5 pounds..... As they were on the move again and were not concentrated (well all the toads) like they were in that storm after the tourney the day/night before...... We then headed in (early for a change) in my 4 days there as me, Waggs and his wife were going to Greek town for dinner and a little gambling ;) That to was a lot of fun, thanks again Waggy ;D

Mon. May 5th.........
I have to leave today, and I am VERY sad to say the least !!!
Flight back to Chicago is at 5:12 pm so I convince Waggs to work on/off the boat and take me fishing for a few hours ;D
Well, caught a bunch more fish as by now I knew we would  ;D
WHAT A FISHERY you guys have up there.... TOTALLY AWESOME !!!!
While Waggs was working (in the back of his boat) on the phone, going through paperwork, ECT.... the sun was shining, and it was actually HOT out side in a black shirt !!! I started casting a 3/4 ounce chrome rattle trap and WHACK !!!!!!!! 3.12 pounder right off the bat !! Over one spot (while Waggy was on the phone) out of 12 casts I landed 8 smallies, one going over 4 pounds.... They actually whacked that rattle trap so hard, so many times my chrome rattle trap is now WHITE.... That whacked all the paint right off of it !!!
He was just laughing and I guess the guy he was talking to asked him what was so funny. He said my buddy is driving my boat, and whacking the fish like crazy !!! Lets wrap this up so I can start fishing... LOL !!!!!!
Waggy did start to fish finally, and whacked a nice sized pike. I know there is much bigger in there from what he tells me but, still a nice fish none the less..... Well, 2:00ish rolls around and I have to shower and get to the airport  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I did not want to leave and am already missing beautiful, awesome Lake St. Clair !!! I can't wait to get back up there (which I am/will) to visit my buddy Waje, Waggs, Waggy, MadWaggs and his family, and to fish that awesome fishery you guys get to every day, all the time !!! I am truly jealous and I know you guys all enjoy it and I can't wait till I get to do the same again.........

Well, guys pix are now to follow.......

You guys really need to try out a Grandt Rod if you never have.
All US made, blank and all, Unconditional lifetime warranty if you ever break it, DOES NOT MATTER HOW..... Most sensitive rod you will ever fish, because of more/MOST modulus graphite in the whole industry !! 70,000,000......... We own the patent on it guys !!! NO ONE has ANYTHING close to this technology, CUTTING EDGE and will continue to be long into the future!! It truly makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.... You can feel the difference between rock, sand, gravel, mud, weeds, wood, even zebra musseles when they get stuck on your tube. Yes, they our that sensitive, so sensitive you can feel a spider fart on our rods !!!! All fish cought this past week on Grandt Rods. WWW.GRANDTRODS.COM All fish caught on All American Pro Series rods and XLH70 in both spinning and casting.

Sorry if I rambled on and on but, words alone are NOT ENOUGH to describe the time I had, the fish I caught, the awesome fishery you guys live on/at and the good group of guys I met during my stay, my first trip to lake St. Clair !!!

Here's to family, good fishing, good health, good friends and God speed to all !!!!!!

BriBoy  (Brian)

P.S. Tight Lines Boyz ;)

P.S.S. Waje, if I forgot anything, or you want/wish to add please do.......

P.S.S.S. Jay, same to you buddy........

All American Series - XLH70 - E Glass - Tonkin Cane - Custom Feather Weaves - Custom Wraps - 25th Anniversary Series

Briboy

Test......

Trying to see if I can post these pix guys, bare with me...

Hope they show up bigger, when you click on them !!

That did not work so well..... needs some work, OOPS LOL
All American Series - XLH70 - E Glass - Tonkin Cane - Custom Feather Weaves - Custom Wraps - 25th Anniversary Series

djkimmel

Send them to me Briboy and I will get them sized and posted.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Briboy

My first Lake St. Clair smallie...... 3.8 pounds.

Not the biggest but, one of the prettiest smallies I have ever seen/caught 4.1 pounds

Briboy

A 5.3 pounder I got on the spot... the "wining pattern"

A 4.14 Jay got on the wining spot

Briboy

My biggest ever..... My biggest smallie of my life !!!
A 6.2 pound TOAD !!!!!!!! Thanks again Waggs  ;D

Briboy

Waggs with a 5.10 on the spot !!!!
Again all these came off the same spot, the wining pattern for us, was pretty unreal, insane..... as you will read in my detailed report.

Me and Jay with double 4 pounders plus !!!!

Briboy

Holy thunderheads batman.......

Holy high seas robbin...............

Holy dark skies Commissioner

ALL THESE TOADS, came during all this CRAZY WEATHER !!!

Briboy

Walleye, it's whats for dinner..... Thanks Jay for giving him to me to take home and eat.... Goby tube, Goby tube ;D

KC135 doing a drive by ;)

A 4.3 pounder on got first thing Sun. morning........

Cappy Waggs at the helm on Sat...........