Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mile Road Update 4/19

Started by mjm6, April 19, 2008, 08:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjm6

Fish are stacked from 6 to 12 feet on mile roads.
Water temp was 52 deg Friday at 10:00 AM.
The stained water and wind did not seem to bother the fish.

About 8 boats out both Thursday and Friday.

Lots of perch a around -- Lakeside selling a ton of minnows.
Black Gulp worm has been scoring for Walleye -- 14 - 20 feet in the river off the Roostertail.

Since C&R season is not open yet and I cant really fish -- would think about using crankbaits fished reaaaaal slow and drop shot with the new Lk St Clair Craw (this bait is as good and probably better than Canadian Mist).

Females are no more than 100 - 150 yards away from the males -- a ton of small fish are available up close to shore.

With the strong South wind yesterday (Friday) there was a very strong mud line about 2 miles off shore - looked like a Piccasso painting.

good luck and good fishing
Mike Mc.

(no less than one six pounder Fri!)

fiker

This brings up several questions.

Let's say I'm fishing in 6-12 fow and it's 52 degrees.  What kind of crank bait would I use? 
I've read that in colder water, baits that don't wobble much are the ticket.  In warmer, they are better.

My question on bait choice is;  what type of crank could be fished slowly, and not wobble much?  Seems like lipless cranks would have to be pulled too quickly. Or is my research wrong?

How deep would I target?  Would I want them to come up for it, or put it at their level?

I've often used suspending jerk baits in these conditions, and played with the cadence. 

What to you think?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Cheetam

Quote from: fiker on April 20, 2008, 08:07:49 AM
This brings up several questions.

Let's say I'm fishing in 6-12 fow and it's 52 degrees.  What kind of crank bait would I use? 
I've read that in colder water, baits that don't wobble much are the ticket.  In warmer, they are better.

My question on bait choice is;  what type of crank could be fished slowly, and not wobble much?  Seems like lipless cranks would have to be pulled too quickly. Or is my research wrong?

How deep would I target?  Would I want them to come up for it, or put it at their level?

I've often used suspending jerk baits in these conditions, and played with the cadence. 

What to you think?
Rick, some flat baits you could look at would include: Bandit Flat Maxx, Bomber Model A or Flat A or 8A, Rapala Flat or Shad Rap.  There are plenty others,  but those are some decent ones.  One thing I've found is that just because it has been said that flat baits with a tighter wiggle are best in colder water, don't be afraid to throw a fat, wide-wobbling bait (and vice versa when the water gets warmer).  I've caught plenty of big fish bumping stumps in 50 degree water throwing a Mann's Baby Minus or RC 1.5.
Jeff

Lightningboy

I think tight vs. wide wobble is something you need to feel out each day.  But I would say that smallies seem to like a slightly tighter action than largemouth; seen lots of exceptions though.

More important to me is contact.  Whether its bottom contact, or contacting the cover like weeds, making contact causes an action change that triggers bites. 

Jerkbaits don't do much on a straight retrieve.  But start popping that bait & throw in some pauses and you've got a fish catching trigger.  Cranks making contact simulate those action changes and trigger hits.

Reconsider the rattle baits.  Choose a model that will allow you to make contact with bottom, or with weed tops.  The LV 500 is awesome for cold water & depths to about 8 feet.  It has a great forehead design for digging bottom.  Make a long cast, let it sink to bottom, and start bulldozing.  Adjust your speed to just maintain contact.  Throw in a momentary pause when you hit a hard object like a rock, it's a great trigger.

I have a hard time NOT tying on a rattle bait all year...

Cheetam

Just reread my post...not all the baits I listed are flat baits (the Model A and 8A).  I meant to say some flat baits and others with a tight wiggle...my bad  ;D
Jeff

Got Fish??

Clown color works on jerkbates/ ISG ST Clair dream tub/ Wayne's ST Clair craw is what I would use.

Revtro

Ditto on the rattle baits.  I've had good success with them in cold water.  BTW- St. Clair  is quite a bit warmer now.  Yesterday it was 65.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]