Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:19:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Winds...When to go and not to go

Started by GlennD, September 01, 2017, 10:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennD

Hi guys we'll I've never been to St Clair before but finally I'm going to get a chance this coming week or the week after. I'm retired so I'd be able to go just about anytime depending on wind. My question is what wind direction and mph do I want to stay away from in order to have a shot at some success. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive to Mile Roads from the house and I'd probably stay 2-3 days during the week most likely. And any good tackle shops I can visit before fishing ? Thanks everyone Glenn
2015 Ranger 620
Yamaha 250 & T9.9 Four Strokes
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

mikesmiph

I'll be interested in peoples remarks about wind too, but I know bait shops. You definitely want to stop in http://sportsmensdirect.com/

dartag

Just remember St Clair wants to Kill You. You have to Respect it.   Really any wind direction over 15 mph is not good out there for new anglers.  The lake is shallow and waves build up fast. in a West wind you can fish the Mile Roads in close.  Make sure your bilge pumps are in good working order. 

Not trying to scare but you should know.   

Here are a couple sites to monitor wind direction.

Hope it works out and you get some good days. 

http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/raw/fz/fzus63.kdtx.glf.sc.txt

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/crescent-sail-yacht-club_grosse-pointe-f

LennyB

The worst wind is from the East. You have about 20 miles of open water for it to build before it gets to the West shore aka the Mile Roads. When that is predicted I trailer up to and launch in the St. Clair River and fish there since it will be more protected. If it's from the South fish the South Shore. If it's from the North fish the North End, etc....

Hollada

What are you fishing out of?  That can make a difference.   

Also, it's not just the wind on st Clair.  The big cruisers create all kinds of large wakes that make it hard to run and have no predictable direction.  That should ease up after Labor Day.
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

djkimmel

Good tips here. Nice to add the 'tuna boat' wakes issue because later in the day those can be a killer if you're in a hurry coming back. There's little rhyme or reason to them so you just need to take your time. (Glossary of terms the National Weather uses for wind waves: www.ndbc.noaa.gov/waveobs.shtml)

I've caught bass well at times in all the winds so going when you can is good but yes, the longer the wave has to build (called 'fetch') the worse wind waves will get. Running into or zig-zagging over waves is better. Running with the waves can be ugly. You really want to use a zig-zag pattern when the waves get big and you're going about the same way.

One thing I never liked was a sudden change to southerly winds if I was fishing the St. Clair or Detroit Rivers. Always seemed to mess up the fishing for a day, or two or three. Often, fast change in water quality can effect the bass bite in the short term.

Good idea to give it several days in a row so you can hit some choices and have better odds for a nice day or two. Obviously, the fishing is pretty good right now out there!

I second Sportsmen's Direct as the place to stop. It's right between the Lake St. Clair Metropark and Harley Ensign ramps. They have a great selection of good lures for Lake St. Clair. You can ask them for some of the latest bass tips too while you're in there. They're a long-time supporter of GreatLakesBass.com as well so maybe mention you heard about them from us when you stop in. They like to hear that.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

In case you've never been around this before - one other thing just as a safety tip for new anglers/boaters to the SCR-LSC-DR system - the big freighters go through there all the time and when they do they push and pull a LOT of water.

If you're in one of the 2 rivers in a shallow, constricted area when they go by be prepared for some wild, potentially dangerous currents when they're approaching and passing. They will actually pull water out of pockets and bays, and then the water comes rushing back in after they pass.

I almost learned the very hard way about this the 1st time it happened when in a shallow pocket right off the Detroit River shipping channel. The ship was loaded and going hard, and actually pulled so much water out of the pocket that the rock breaker we trolled over to get in was now a waterfall with a drop over it, and we were being sucked towards it unexpectedly fast!! We had to jump on the big motor to keep from going OVER the rocks prop first!!

This effect is generally only dangerously effective in shallow, limited areas but even the shallow bays and sand flats along the St. Clair River Shipping Channel can see an amazing effect. I've seen anchored party boats get tossed around like crazy when a rogue freighter wake roars across the shallower flats!!

In the larger, more open areas close to the ships you will just notice a change in current pulling you towards the ship as they approach and pass, and then after the ship passes you'll see increased current pushing you away. On the fishing side of things, this sudden change and increase in currents can turn the fish on, so keep your eyes and ears open when a ship passes. I've found great spots that way, and caught key bass from known spots that weren't happening before the ship came along!

Out in the lake, the effect isn't so great though it is there the closer you are to the shipping channel. Regardless, when running along after a freighter passes, watch out for big lazy round rollers coming off the freighter's corners. They sometimes seem like they go on forever... you don't want to hit them trimmed out and flying along. The result is usually not pretty...

At times, especially when the freighters are in the rivers, there will also be big round rollers coming straight behind the ships off the back end and big screws they run. These ones often catch boaters off guard who are running between their normal wake. I also found out about these unique wakes the hard way years ago in a different setting.

How big, round and how far the wakes go on depends on how loaded the ship is, if they are running into or with the current and what the wind/current is doing in general at the particular time. The effect can be stronger again when they're in the river channels verses out in the lake.

In rare cases they can actually create a wake near the boat that is like a vertical wicked wall of water that there's not much you can do about except getting away from it. Generally, this is rare and caused by a loaded ship pushing really hard in the the river channels. They can actually be breaking the law when they do this but that is little consolation to the bass boater that encounters the water wall!

If you're out in the lake away from the shipping channel you'll probably not notice or barely notice passing ships in the distance. Just bringing it up in case you fish near them.

Great advice a veteran tournament angler Mel Glazier gave me decades ago, NEVER cross right in front of a freighter (or barge). They must stay in the channel, they can't stop fast (quarter to half a mile) and they won't turn fast even if they have to so if something happens and you're stalled in front of one they're not even going to feel it when they plow you under. NEVER worth the risk no matter how remote you'll feel it is!

I see (idiot) boaters often running along across the front of them, running a little ways ahead of them and just floating down the shipping channel oblivious to the impending, unstoppable force of doom coming. You hear 5 sharp blasts of the ship's horn, that means someone has to get the bleep out of the way right now!

A final tip - if you're running near a freighter and need to cross over their wake it's best to run almost parallel to the big round wave and cut over it from the side. If you time it right and cut over it right you can actually keep a decent speed and stay nice and dry without any painful bumps. Once you get his down it works great for less painful, dry crossing of big 'tuna boat' wakes too!

I've been with boaters who are so good at this they lose less speed and you barely feel it even on wicked high choppy wakes. They have a great feel for where and when to choose to cross the wake. I've also seen plenty of fast drivers take 'moon shots' over these wakes, which again... is usually not pretty (and can be very dangerous). Always keeps your eyes roving out ahead of you for what is coming later, not only what is right in front of you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

cameraguy

Quote from: Hollada on September 02, 2017, 02:20:34 PM

Also, it's not just the wind on st Clair.  The big cruisers create all kinds of large wakes that make it hard to run and have no predictable direction.  That should ease up after Labor Day.

It appears that he is running a Ranger 620.

Hollada

Quote from: cameraguy on September 02, 2017, 07:00:02 PM
Quote from: Hollada on September 02, 2017, 02:20:34 PM

It appears that he is running a Ranger 620.

Guess I should have read his sig.   620 should be good to go on all but the worst days.
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

mikesmiph

Veronica and I are thinking of giving St Clair one shot next weekend, weather permitting. We used to take the old Tracker out there quite often. The new boat is the same length and quite a bit wider. Stratos 176XT. The biggest worry I have is my 40lb TM. But, we can always drift.

djkimmel

Yes, 40 lbs. won't keep you going in the heavy current or strong winds but you can always drift as you say. I made do for years with smaller electric motors.

I still do when I go out in the rental boats with my portable stern-mount Minn Kota that is only 30 lbs. thrust. I usually fish running the motor in reverse so I get less power out of it and the stern of the boat makes for a nice surface to push me backwards on. I compensate by having a big anchor ready with extra rope that I add.

Do you have an anchor with lots of rope? Great safety device every boaters should have, and it can help if you start catching some bass in current/wind and don't want to lose the spot, or just want to stay there and concentrate on fishing the exact same spot!

mikesmiph

I'll take one with us. Thanks. Great idea.

GlennD

Thanks for all the help everyone !! I've fished the Detroit River and I go to Erie 6-7 times a year so I'm familiar with the potential a BIG body of water can throw at you in the form of danger. I'm not one to take very many risks for sure. I'll definitely give Sportsmans Direct a stop I listen to all their fishing reports from here and on You Tube. Thanks again and really like this forum.
2015 Ranger 620
Yamaha 250 & T9.9 Four Strokes
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

djkimmel

mikesmiph

Looking pretty good so far for this weekend. We might make it yet. Probably stick to the mile roads. Anyone have any different news, please let me know.