Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BFL Journal June 24th

Started by Team houston, June 26, 2017, 10:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team houston

I get off of work and get down to the meeting. I am paired with Charles Mackintosh from Brighton. He says we are fishing Erie but is not sure where yet depending on the weather.

So they call our boat #56 and off we go. The wind in the morning did not seem too bad and he had pulled up a forecast on his phone that said 16 mph west. So off to Pelee we head.

Well as usual the forecast was  WRONG. We get a couple miles out and with a west wind it gets worse and worse. Many times filling the boat with water and uncountable hard hits.

After about an hr and forty min we get to the far side of Pelee where is is quite nice. He stops short of his starting spot to repair the trolling motor that took a beating on the way.

While he is doing that I pick up a jerbait and start fan casting. On about my 10th cast I hook up and get a 2.5 lber in the boat. I am thinking well if we make it back at least I will have one to weigh in.

Unbelievable to me two other boats from our tourney make it out there too. That's at least six crazy people I know. Charles apologizes says to me if he knew it was gonna be this bad he wouldn't have came out there. He gets the motor working and we bump up to his starting spot.

Just a couple of casts and I hook up again with the jerkbait. This one is very fat but short of 14 inches. Charles catches one right after on a dropshot and is a good keeper. I hook up again and get one close to 3lbs in the boat. Charles now catches three good ones right in a row so I start dropshotting also. Its not lights out, but we are consistently catching them.

Charles has a limit and when I catch my 5th, my watch says its 9 o clock. We bounce around to about half a dozen different areas he wants to fish and cull up here and there. With a 2:15 check in we had decided to leave at 12.

I have a couple four lbers in the box and a couple 3s. With about a half hr left to fish I get another 4lber. I feel Charles has 18 or 19lbs and I have 17 maybe 18 if I am lucky.

After a horrific ride back I kiss the ground. Amazing all are fish are alive. I put mine on the scales and am surprised they go 19lbs 5oz and I take the lead. With more than half the field still to weigh I just assume someone would have more.

At the time big bass was 4.12  I weigh what I think was my biggest and it goes 4.11. I watch the rest of the weigh in and shockingly nobody topples me. All my fish are caught on the d-shot. The early jerkbait fish were culled out but they gave me a good start.

I celebrate with a couple friends of mine Gary and Karen Giovanninni and my brother at Primonti Bros  sandwich restaurant.  On a side note I fished my first BFL in about 1988. Those were the two worst boat rides in my life. Nearly 2hrs of constant pounding both ways.

Getting a win sure helps the pain. I no doubt earned that one.  Charles ended up with 18lbs and change and came in 11th. He was a pleasure to fish with.

FrickerDude

FrickerDude

dartag

Good job.  Hopefully you got the rough water tournament out of the way for the year.

Team houston

CuradoKev

Great job !!! Well deserved !! A win is always awesome, but even sweeter when you go through the "Erie Beating"  ;)

SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

Maisch4077

Congrats on the win!  I was one of those "other crazies" at Pelee and that was one hell of a ride back in.  Definitely in my top five worst rides on Erie. 

SethV

Way to go Phil!  I went over to Charlies house yesterday and helped him put the Z521 all back together again.  Its all fixed up and ready to do it again!!  No major damage to the boat, just some loose screws and a bent trolling motor bracket.

21XDC

Way to go Phil... Did you catch any doubles on the drop shot weights I made you?  :P
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Hollada

Congrats!  I've never fished Pelee.   If we get a good weather day, I'll let you navigate :-)
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

LAPORTE

Nice job Phil. I sent you a txt the night of,  way to wack them for the win...
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Team houston

Thanks guys. Mike I had one tied on, but put my rod down to net one of his fish and it got snagged. After I broke it off I didn't put another one on because the fish were biting really good and I didn't need it. I will be using it again for sure. Thanks Don I never got that text. I would have answered for sure. Have you caught any on those Ricos yet?

Team houston

Seth did you guys check for any stress fractures in the hull? I am Glad everything is still in working order for him. Maisch how did you do out there?

SethV

Hi Phil,  we looked at the usual internal areas that might crack (where I have broken 2 Rangers in the past) and his boat looked great.  I noticed the transom to stringer construction in the rear is much better / beefier on the new Z521 than the 520/Z21 was.

djkimmel

Congratulations again Mr. Repeat Champion!! Sometimes you have to take those brutal rides to win (though I DO NOT miss them one second myself!!).

Was wondering and thinking your boater had to be the CMack from this website. Way to team up!! Get them at the next one!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.