Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:38:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Battery Charger Help

Started by canvsbk, February 17, 2006, 11:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canvsbk

My birthday is near and I deserve something nice so I've decided to try and put an end to my battery charging woes.
I have 1 bank with 2 12vlt to make my 24 and a single 12vlt for the BIG BOY in the back.
Who makes what that will fill 'em up over night??
Thanks.
Look past what they want you to see.

dhuff

There are alot of companies that manufacture good chargers.  I have used the Minn Kota onboard three bank 30 amp charger for the last two years and I like it.  Charges my batteries up fast.  But there are lots of good ones out there.

Revtro

I've had great luck with the 3 bank ProXL.  Seems to charge 'em up completely overnight according to it's charge meter. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cheetam

I'm with Rev on this one...Dual Pro XL.  If you ever have a problem with one of their units, call em up and they will bend over backwards to help you out.
Jeff

Skulley

I am with Rev and Jeff on the chargers.  I have always gone with the 3 Band Dual Pro XL.  Reliable.  I have never used any other charger.

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

yukonjack2

I have a 4- bank Ranger  -and it works great . My suggestion, make sure its a minimum of 10 amps per bank dedicated. The pro xl is an excellent unit.  I spoke with the rep for them, and there is an add-on charge as you run unit as well - might be worth consideration.
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

blakstr1

i was thinking about the 4 bank Minnkota charger MK-440, but if I understand correctly they discontinued it..maybe somebody here know for sure.  I'm also looking at the Stealth Charger, small and powerful..DOWD uses it and swears by it, he is trying to persuade me...its almost working..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

smbassman

I have the Dual Pro 3 bank and it works okay.  One bank went out in a few months, but they replaced the whole unit.

I have just received a StayNCharge unit for my boat and this seems like it will be a very good system.  Charges all batteries on the run(w/ outboard) and you can hook up to the tow vehicle to charge while trailering to and from the lake.  The same company (stayNcharge) is finishing the testing now of a portable charger to top off the batteries if they aren't at full charge from the other sources (outboard and truck).  Much cheaper and more reliable.  Also, charging with the outboard and truck alternator is much faster and will actually bring your batteries to a full charge (Something that AC chargers don't do - they only charge to about 85-90%).

djkimmel

I like my Pro Mariner 3-bank charger. Up to 30 amps per channel and compensates for poor juice at campgrounds and other places with low voltage. I have an old one. The new ones are more streamlined and sharp looking.

Bass & Walleye Boats did a great comparison study on chargers that was very educational. I could not find it online, but I imagine there are others. All the chargers had differences in what they did and how they did it. The Pro Mariner was the best overall choice for my circumstances (the article backed up what the company techs had told me).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

huston

My question about that Stay&Charge is when traveling in the boat , will it damage some intricate, electronic gizmo on these high tech outboards and while on land and when your vehicles Stay &Charge is charging the boat batteries, will this cause a over amp draw on your towing vehicles charging system?

Dan

My partner has a 2004 Basscat with a 225 rude and he has a stealth charging system and when we travel he hardly ever even needs to plug it in even when we have been out for 8 hours. It really impressed me. He had some trouble early because of a switch being in the wrong position  and the stealth guy stayed on the phone with him at 10:00 at night for an hour and a half tearing things apart and testing this and that over the phone and took care of him. Can't beat their customer service.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

smbassman

Quote from: huston on February 23, 2006, 06:58:53 PM
My question about that Stay&Charge is when traveling in the boat , will it damage some intricate, electronic gizmo on these high tech outboards and while on land and when your vehicles Stay &Charge is charging the boat batteries, will this cause a over amp draw on your towing vehicles charging system?

It really isn't any different than plugging in a AC charger, so no there should be no problem with the outboard.  The newer outboard alternaters are pretty high in amperage anyways and the system only diverts the charging power to the different batteries at different times - not all three(or four) at once.  The amperage draw for your tow vehicle should be no problem either.  The good part about this system, is the batteries are taken to full charge and they are charged quickly - like in 1 hour drive home from the lake, the batteries are fully charged for the next day.

I have checked on this system a lot and I haven't found anyone with a problem.  If you really want more info, go to bassboatcentral.com and check the electronics forum.  Jim Payne is the owner of StaynCharge and he is on that board a lot.  Just post a question there or PM him.  If you are not registered there, I can get a hold of him for you and have him e-mail you.  Just remember, you will need two systems to charge from the truck and outboard.  The original stayNcharge alone charges from the truck to one battery.  Then the AllCharge system alone will charge up to 36v from the outboard.  Getting both systems allows you to charge 36V from the truck or outboard.