Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Need some new reels

Started by 1javelin, January 02, 2008, 12:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

I am in need of some new reels, for a few reasons, and need some help here.
1.  I have 3 Quantum Tour Edition casting reels, and they are too big for my small hands.  It feels like I am holding a coke can while fishing.  Anyone interested?
2.  I have played with the Shimano's, so spare me the "Buy Curado's" speech.
3.  Is there a smaller reel that is made with extreme high quality, that will perform, be affordable, and comfortable for me?  I have read and played with the Revo STX, and like it, but if you listen to it while you turn the handle it sounds 'loose', for lack of a better word.  I have layed with the Pflueger Summit, and really like it and the price, but Pflueger is owned by Shakespeare, which screams cheap to me.  I have also played with the Daiwa Zillion, and like it also, though I do not like the price.  Anyone with good experience with any of these reels got some advice?

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Durand Dan

I've been using the Johnny Morris Bait casters and like them a lot. This Christmas I got a 7.1:1. They are low profile and fit a smaller hand very well. I noticed last week at Bass Pro they had the 6.1:1 on sale from $159.00 to $79.00 so I picked up one of them. Also I use Quantums PT Burner which is a good reel but seems to require a lot of maintenance (cleaning).

10-10 Bass Busters

I use all pflueger...and have had no problems.  The wide spools are bigger so you prob would like them.  I have trions, president in wide and have supreme's if narrow and they are alot smaller in my hands.  I've heard the summit and the new patriarch are really nice.  I know the patriarch was one of the best new reels in bassmasters magazine. I tried a diawa viento and it was alot smaller and i didn't like how small it felt so I gave it to my dad who has smaller hands and he likes it alot.

Waterfoul

And what's wrong with the Curado series?  I love my Curados.

Couple buddies have the Revos and love them.  They've had no issues.

As for the Phluegar... they are actually the child of Silstar (just ask SFW1960!!).  And Quantum is owned by Zebco... so there you go.

Have you looked at Ardent??
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

Bass pro has several reels that are a bit smaller and I have had great luck with BPS reels.  I have a few of the older Rick Clunn serries reels, and they have held up to a ton of abuse.  The first one is the Pro Lite Finesse and the other would be the Extreme Series reels come in a small frame version.  Definitely worth checking out and real nice equipment. 

How much do you want for the quantums?  How old are they?

thedude

i've got 4 of the bps extreme series baitcasters... they are made by pflueger. Pretty nice reels for the $$. I bought 2 barely used ones for like 50$ last year.. can't beat that. Probably not as nice as the shimanos and they aren't a high-dollar reel by any means, but i've got 6 years of use on the 2 of 'em that i bought new.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

REEL_MAN

I also have to ask "What's wrong with the Curado" I've worked on all of the reels you mentioned and by far the most reliable is the Shimano. I have used them all and what I look for is not how the reel feels out of the box. Any company can make a reel feel good in the beginning. What counts is how does that $100+ reel feel after a couple of years. The Curado can be abused and then given a good cleaning and feel like new or better (there are exceptions of coarse).
Good luck in your choice.

REEL MAN

TCook

Last year I used Team Daiwa X 103HV and the quantum tour edition reels and had some problems. The drag on one of the daiwa's went bad, and the quantums didnt feel comfertable. So I went out and bought all new shimano curado 200 D's for this season. I figured with all the good things I hear about the curado's I cant go wrong, and could get them for $99.99 each. I been playing around with the curados spooled up on a rod and to me it feels great. It feels very smooth, fits closer to the rod, and fits perfect in my hand. I also realized last year that I didnt like having different reels, so when I switch rods now I am always using the same reel and not adapting to the feel of different baitcasters. Hopefully like everyone says the curado's will continue to impress me on the water for years to come.

Tim
FISH HARD!!!

LAPORTE

I need 4 new casting reels myself. I've been using the BPS Extreme for the last 2 years and they have some casting issues now. I was at BPS over the christmas break and seen the Jonny Morris reels on sale. They seem like a very good deal.
  I think most of my trouble is that maybe I don't take care of them as well as needed. Being new to most of this maybe I need to take a class on how to care them..... Ill have to put it on my schedule for the fishing show..lol

happy ice fishing

Don L 
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

SethV

If the Curado is not good enough...how about the "Buy Chronarch's" speech??

;D ;D

The feel of a reel in the store won't tell you much.  Even a $40 reel can feel good before abuse.  BPS reels are known for a good infant feel, but really lack long term durability.

Seth V

Hooksetter

Just my .02, but I use Chronarchs and they have performed flawlessly. Smooth, reliable etc, etc. I was at BPS just before Christmas and a sales person told me that they had heard that Shimano was going to participate in the trade-a-reel program again this year during the spring sale. If that is true and you have an old reel or two to trade you can save a bunch of money.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

yukonjack2

If you are looking fo a smaller feel - the curado 100 series (green body style)  is a great choice.  AN upgrade to that is the Chronarch MG50.  This reel is awesome - small in body size, awsome drag system, and ha sttod up to a couple years of use like the day it was new.  Also, it weighs only like 6 oz - less fatigue after a long day of fishing.

My $0.02

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

1javelin

I'm going to look into the Shimano's a little more, even though I think it is more a mind thing for most of you guys, as I am sure that some other reels, Daiwa included, can stack up well against a Shimano.  I looked at the Chronarch MG50, and was liking everything except the 6.2:1.  I really want a high speed reel, but may just settle for this anyways.  A little faster retrieve would do the same thing, just a few fewer casts at the end of the day.  Do like the look of the Core, hate the price tag, way too much for what you get I believe, and it feels cheap when you are holding it.  I don't know, maybe I will look into the trade a reel program a little more and see what I can do.  I don't think they will let me trade straight up 2 Tour Edition 7's for 2 Core's or Chronarch's though.  Still for sale in the other post though!

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Fishmael

All my reels are the Accurist.  They don't seem to be too big, I have never had a problem with any one of them and they cost under $100.  What more can you want?!  I have had good success with them and have put them to the test.  I recommend them but don't know how they compare size wise to the reels you mentioned.

MBell

I didn't fish any shimano reels until 2 years ago, now all I have are curados.  I like the old style green ones better than the new ones though, especially for heavy line.  Also don't like the new metal frame when it's cold.  There are always a ton of the old green curados on ebay.  I do want to try the revo this year. 
-Matt 

McCarter

i will vouch for the Revos.  I have 3 and will be buying more.  I almost bought the Premier the other day but the consequences for over spending can be pretty extreme.

McCarter himself :-\'

Bender

I have smaller hands and finding a reel that fits well is a problem. That said the Chronarch 50Mg is just great! Unfortunately the $250 tag limits me using them exclusively. I also like the small Citica, no problems with that either.
The Revo didn't fit my palm too well so I was glad to be rid of the SX I had and while the Core Mg does, I can't shell out nearly $400 for a reel. I sure would like to check out the Ardent reels next, but otherwise I will be sticking with Shimano.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

TCook

Simmons sporting goods on ebay just sold me the chronarch 50mg's brand new for $185 each and shippings included, thats alot better than $250.

T
FISH HARD!!!