Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

TBF state fish off 2008??

Started by motocross269, November 28, 2007, 10:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

Somewhere in GLB forum I saw talk of the TBF state fish off being early and up north.  Are you guys thinking the sunday after the BFL on Burt and Mullet???
Just thinking ahead for next year and trying to figure out what I can budget.
Thanks,
B

djkimmel

We ended up not following the BFL for a number of reasons including cooperation with another circuit that agreed to not schedule on us if we didn't schedule on them - better for all members.

We are looking at the weekend before - either 5/31 or 6/1 on either Charlevoix or Burt/Mullett with Muskegon as the backup if necessary. We should have it nailed down around the end of this year.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Thanks for the info...All 3 of those locations are great fisheries, especially in the spring...

djkimmel

There will definitely be some fish caught...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skip Johnson

I have to agree with you eric I felt the same way when I heard it was all the way up there, great fisheries up there but its coming to the point of whos rich enough to play in a 1 day tournament.

lets see 300 miles to cheboygen at 12 miles to the gallon= 25 gallons each way at $3.59 for diesel = $200 round trip.
fuel to drive to ramps and back = $50.
3 days of pre fishing at 25 gallons a day in the boat at $3.19 = $240.
3 gallons of 2 stroke oil = $60.
40 gallons plus another gallon of oil for tournament day = $150.
enty fee for tourney = $150.
3 nights of hotel at $70 = $210
misc tackle $50
food $50
3 more days off of work = hundreds more but not counting that
                              = $1.160.00  :o

I dont think my wife would let me go if she knew how much it costs to fish it.
would we let our wife spend $1100 on a suntan?
that all were coming back with!
Go Big or Go Home!

djkimmel

We do have several clubs on the west side and the north. We can't just ignore them.

Also, we heard loud and clear from OUR members last year that they don't want conflicts between the two federations, so we worked this year to make sure there aren't any.

motocross269

Dan, I am not trying to stir the pot here, but you are not going to keep everyone happy no matter what you do..
I would prefer it to be the same weekend as the BFL..I would like it even better if we fished out of LSC again, but that is my world..Both Eric and Skip are great fisherman and  Make valid points, but If fishing the TBF isn't in my budget I just won't fish it and wish you guys the best of luck with the event.

dashaver63

Hey, you could do like Ohio does, we have 2 events that are each 2 days long just to get to the state event. First is the 2 day regional, gas, rooms, food and other misc. things PLUS a 50.00 entry fee. Plus there was no payback last year. I got a 5 gallon jug of 2 cycle oil for finishing 9th. Then if you qualify you go to the 2 day State Qualifying Tournament, same as for the regional and that tournament could be anywhere in the state. We have two SQT's each year and you go to the one you are assigned to according to your region, another expensive 2 day tourney plus another 50.00 entry fee. Then, if you qualify, you go the the State Championship. Again 2 day's and another 50.00 entry fee, plus all the expenses all over again. So in Ohio, you basically triple what you would pay in Michigan, If you are going to fish the TBF event, I'd rather have it the way you guy's have it, all in 1 day. I know it is expensive to do the traveling, get the hotels, buy the gas and everything else, but I think it would be alot easier to budget 1 tournament and be done with it than try to do it 3 times. Just my opinion.

dartag

hard to make it the same weekend as the BFL.  The MI Federation has an event on charlevoix on 6-8.  saw it on  ( Roy Randolphs list ).

like MX said just schedule it and who ever shows up will fish. 

the one problem i see is it will be a  " Bed Fishing " event and the non-boater will be at the mercy of the boater if he will put him on any fish.

motocross269

Quote from: dartag on December 03, 2007, 07:26:45 PM

the one problem i see is it will be a  " Bed Fishing " event and the non-boater will be at the mercy of the boater if he will put him on any fish.

That is for sure...

djkimmel

Well think about what we might hear if we put it on Burt/Mullett the day after the BFL 'tear's it up!' Again, as a board member, I have to consider EVERY SINGLE member. That's what I remind every board member of at every meeting I've ever attended for any organization. But we are kind of ahead of ourselves here.

Let's make a deal guys. Please hold off both barrels until we actually announce the date and location. As I said, those are the locations and dates we are shooting for and some of the reasons, but we have not set anything yet.

We are still in talks with various parties. NOTHING is out of the question at the moment since nothing is finalized. We fully understand your concerns, which echo almost exactly concerns raised by various board members. In fact, not one concern I have heard so far was not debated at length (and sometimes with raised voices) at the last board meeting.

We all fish and none of us are independently wealthy either. This is a democracy and we hear the comments and have a lot of the same thoughts ourselves, but remember we hear ALL comments since we represent everyone. The majority does rule, but not at the excessive expense of the minority. There will always be some give and take.

Please wait until we finalize the actual date and location, by the end of this month probably. Then, if you still want to, give us both barrels...

Skip Johnson

ok my guns put away :-\'
can we put saginaw bay in the hat? it sure is closer to the majority and is part of the early opener, the fishing on saginaw bay is fantastic and theres plenty of fish for the co's to get a limit as well.
Go Big or Go Home!

djkimmel

In the past, we have had significant drops in numbers for state championships when we schedule Saginaw Bay. BFL doesn't go there anymore because of the phoned-in complaints every time they schedule Saginaw Bay in the past.

We may go there in the future out of one of the outer ramps, but the money is in Bay City and you don't just ignore when someone wants to give you money when you come to their area. Not prudent or good business. You have to consider all necessities of putting on tournaments and of the desires of all the different types of anglers.

It's a looooonnng drive to Saginaw Bay from the NW, SW and West.

I think there was conflict we couldn't ignore for the 15th (besides it being Father's Day and some people not wanting a tournament that would take them away from family that day). Many members are not as hardcore as some of you. I don't recall the specifics at the moment, but we are still working on several alternative options yet.

djkimmel

Hang on a little longer fellow anglers. A new offer has been made - possible alternative we need to look at. I don't want to say any more until all the board members have been briefed and had their say. If we think it will be more popular with more members, we will pursue.

Just remember, the TBF regional is right here, in Michigan, in September. 2 TBF of Michigan anglers WILL go on to the TBF National Championship and a shot at the living the dream package (I have to confirm the details yet), the Wal-Mart BFL All-American and the FLW Tour Championship. Heck, one of us could be hanging out with joshimoto son next summer!

djkimmel

This is just my own opinion - the true test of leadership and membership is to remember the purpose of the federation is not to hold another tournament for adults - there's plenty of tounaments already, even in Michigan. The true purpose is to provide an organizing point for bass anglers to work for and be heard and counted on the future of all bass fishing, the environment, conservation and youth.

If we did not have the higher tournament opportunities available for our members thanks to great partnerships, I would vote that we not even hold the one adult tournament because of our already crowded tournament scene and the headaches and resource drain that come with running tournaments. But, we do have the partnership opportunities, so we have the one tournament for adults and do our best with it.

Anglers and hunters need to recognize the importance of being organized to our future for even having tournaments to enjoy. Already, in some states, whole lakes or regions have been lost for tournament fishing. We almost lost 3 or more weeks of our season here recently. It came extremely close, too close for comfort to allow it to ever get that far along again. This will not get easier in the future as less people choose to fish and hunt each year.

We worry about and discuss what is good for / who is the majority of federation members on forums, at meetings, boat ramps, etc, as far as a fishing tournament, but we should be putting that effort and more into discussing the FACT that we are not the majority in the big picture. As more people choose not to hunt or fish, the minority we already are becomes a smaller and smaller minority. Where might that leave us in future votes / issues concerning our pastime especially considering there are groups out there dedicated to teaching our children not to hunt and fish?

THAT question keeps me up at night, not the question of what lake we fish or not for a state championship? I will always belong to organizing groups for anglers and hunters. There is no other real feasible and prudent alternative in our system of government.

Team houston

Thanks for putting it in perspective Dan.

motocross269

I've set a goal,Now that I have a boat, to try to get more involved in junior programs..Also with the DAV tournament that Paul Sacks had last year..
I am going to have to cut back drastically for a couple of years on my tournament expenses, but taking "hopefully" new anglers fishing on local lakes is pretty cheap..

djkimmel

We will be announcing the 2008 TBF of Michigan adult state championship date and location on Monday.

djkimmel

I understand all that. It takes all kinds. I'm just glad we only put on one adult tournament a year ;D

and you're welcome.

Skulley

Quote from: cast n blast on December 03, 2007, 07:15:15 AM

lets see 300 miles to cheboygen at 12 miles to the gallon= 25 gallons each way at $3.59 for diesel = $200 round trip.
fuel to drive to ramps and back = $50.
3 days of pre fishing at 25 gallons a day in the boat at $3.19 = $240.
3 gallons of 2 stroke oil = $60.
40 gallons plus another gallon of oil for tournament day = $150.
enty fee for tourney = $150.
3 nights of hotel at $70 = $210
misc tackle $50
food $50
3 more days off of work = hundreds more but not counting that
                              = $1.160.00  :o

And for everything else there's MasterCard.

Sounds like a commercial Skip.  But I have to agree.  Fishing ain't cheap when you break it down like this.  I wouldn't even tell the wife if I were you if you were intending to fish both........unless of course you win both events.........and would winning both events pay this bill????  Of course that would probably depend on how many anglers would make two trips up north to fish these events.  Wow......too much $$$$$$ for even my budget.  I would have to give up the family vacation next summer to fit both those in.  I don't think the lovely bride would be up for that....that's for sure.

BD            ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com