Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

First Tournament report Union Lake

Started by fishon1219, May 31, 2016, 11:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishon1219

Today I fished my first tournament of the year on Union lake. It is the Cash for Bass One on One series and it was a great day with lots of excitement. I took on the duties of blast off boat today and as I was idling to my starting spot on the far east end of the lake I noticed a bunch of bait ahead of my boat jumping all over the place in about 60 ft of water so I quickly stopped and the only rod I had out had a Nemesis baits bullet craw tied on so I fired a quick cast and quickly caught a just keeper large mouth. This action went on and I filled my limit in about 10 casts before it was over.

I then finally made it to my starting spot and it was like an aquarium with small mouth, large mouth and  walleye slowly swimming along the edge of the drop off. I got out all my sticks and the first cast with a Nemesis Goby in KLB landed my big fish of the day a 3lb smallie. I quickly culled out all of my just keeper large mouth as the fish had moved up on the flat and were actively feeding. The action then slowed and the fish started roaming around on the break again.

I could not get them to eat, but I could see them in tight little wolf packs just swimming along the edge and hanging around a little point on the drop off. I just set my Ulterra in anchor mode and fan cast around my boat and had a solid hook up on the bullet craw which turned out to be one of the biggest large mouth I have ever seen on Union. The fish jumped several times before I got him up to the boat and then my line broke right at the tip of my rod. I would estimate the fish as weighing right around 5lbs. After inspecting the tip of my rod I found that the insert was missing from the tip and all of the pressure right at the boat must have wore the line just enough to break it. Fluorocarbon and friction do not do well together.

Every time the school would come up on the flat I would start catching them again  and I ended up in 2nd place with 12.30 and my good buddy Dartag ended up winning the event with 12.70. Great day and a great lake.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

dartag

Nothing like catching fish in crystal clear water.  There were packs of fish all over the lake.  Getting them to bite was another thing.  Only thing that worked for me was the Case Walleye / Drop Shot " Stevie Rig " worm with a very light weight.  They seemed to want it on the fall or they would just swim away.  Did catch a couple bed fish that didn't help me.

Kevin and I are the directors of the CFB Tuesday Single Solo Series .   Next week is Kent Lake East Ramp.   Tournament hours are 8:00 am -- 1:00 pm.   Come out and join us.

21XDC

Home field advantage is not fair... Kind of like letting the dealer play a hand in the game. LOL

Sounds like I need to give Union lake another chance. LOL

Good job guys!
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

I haven't decided if I will give the lake another chance, but probably. It's a matter of persistence probably. Maybe. ;D

Great fishing report btw! Thanks!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.