Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

buying a new boat looking for opinions????

Started by Dave B, May 27, 2016, 05:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave B

Ok  guys looking for anybody who has bought a Z18, ranger 188 alum or the tracker 19ft alum.
This is big stepup from my current boat. Need the good and bad.

djkimmel

Good luck with your decision. You know I have always liked the culture of Ranger Boats and the way they build everything in their factory. They make good running, great fishable boats that last and keep their value well.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

6 lb Smallmouth

What kind of fishing do you do?  Tin or glass?  Have you considered the new Lund Pro V Bass? 

Based on the three boats you listed, if I were sticking to smaller, inland lake 90% or more of the time, I would take a very long look at the RT188.  Guys rave about that boat once the TM is down.  It will get you high 40s to 50 and with a 4-stroke, 115 it will be a very efficient boat.  If you are fishing the Great Lakes often, I'd stick with the fiberglass Ranger or the deep V Lund. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Dave B

Went to D and R yesterday to crawl around on boats. The ranger is out, hard to get up from behind console. Ranger made it for the average size person. The z-18 is very roomy now the hard part 150 2stroke or 4. Speed is not the most important thin, longevity is?

djkimmel

What is a Z-18? A Nitro? Depends on which brand of motor you go for or have the choice of. I would go with a 4-stroke Yamaha for dependability, longevity and mileage. I don't know about other brand 4-strokes from much personal experience so maybe a 2-stroke if another brand.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dave B

Z18 is just under 19ft, it replaced the z7. Everything I read says it is a good boat. It only comes with Mercury power plant. This be HUGE UPGRADE from my bayliner cobra. I wish I could go the ranger  with a yamaha route.

Jay-MadWags

The Skeeters come with the Yamaha SHO 4 stroke. I love my 250 SHO on my FX20. Great hole shot and gas mileage.  Have you even looked at a Skeeter?  Lake Drive Marine in Coldwater, MI. Talk to Jeff. 
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

6 lb Smallmouth

The Merc 150 4-stroke has gotten rave reviews since it came out.  I wouldn't hesitate to get that engine.  All the routine maintenance have videos and it was designed for ease of use for the weekend warrior. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

bigjc

The ideal fishing boat is different for every angler, and often different at different times in your life!

I ran bass boats for over 15 years, but I always had a small aluminum utility boat at the same time.  There are just too many situations when a smaller aluminum is the right match for the situation.

I have recently sold my last bass boat.  It was an awesome boat and I loved it, while I was fishing a lot of tournaments, but I fish  very few tourneys these days and I fish a lot more multi-species lately, so I have gone back to an aluminum rig ( a tiller for that matter ).

I find that aluminum rigs are a bit more rugged, and require a bit less work.  Try to get a ride in several style of boats before you make the investment.

Good luck.

JC

thedude

i came out of a tracker avalanche which i owned for 10 years. I think tracker aluminum boats are ok, but tracker marine including nitro is probably one of the worst companies to buy a boat from. A lot of pieces and parts are cheap plastic and if you get a new boat make sure you have a lawyer read the warranty to you because they will find every which way possible to get out of fixing it for you.

I had minor issues with my tracker, all things that were "under warranty" they were fixed over and over every year until the warranty lapsed - so its really not worth much.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

bigjc

Quote from: thedude on June 01, 2016, 09:38:45 AM
i came out of a tracker avalanche which i owned for 10 years. I think tracker aluminum boats are ok, but tracker marine including nitro is probably one of the worst companies to buy a boat from. A lot of pieces and parts are cheap plastic and if you get a new boat make sure you have a lawyer read the warranty to you because they will find every which way possible to get out of fixing it for you.

I had minor issues with my tracker, all things that were "under warranty" they were fixed over and over every year until the warranty lapsed - so its really not worth much.
That Avalanche was a real nice fishing platform, for bass fishing, when it was running tho!