Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 01:11:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

First Post

Started by smallie9, April 26, 2016, 09:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallie9

Hello All,

This is my first post on GLB, but have looked in quite often. I just wanted to send out a note hoping all is well with a couple of anglers I helped out on Lake St.Clair last Saturday. They had the misfortune of knowing first hand just how the lake can turn her ugly face. The wind was blowing, it was cold, and so was the water. The best we can surmise is she busted the hull on there Stratos boat, and was taking on a lot of water. They flagged me down and I was compelled to help them as best I could (that is what you do with people in distress). I was able to get them on board safely, and with boat in tow, we got to safe water, were eventually the Sheriff took over. I only know the gents first names but the owner did mention he visited this site.

I have been on "the BIG water" for years and no matter how skilled or confident you are, at times she will smack you to give you a wake up call. The bottom line gents, in a quick instant you can be faced with a dangerous situation out there and you need to be prepared as best you can, DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED, wear your vest always and make sure your vessel is in top notch condition.

I hope all is well and they can get back on the water soon. She can be a pleasure most of the time, but there are some ugly teeth hidden underneath. Be careful everyone and tight lines.

TimH

Welcome to the site and nicely done with helping an angler in need.  You are completely right about being on big water.  Things can and do change in an instant. I hope your kindness gets rewarded with a great fishing season. 

Waterfoul

Welcome to the site.  I'm very glad you were able to help in a time of need, you did the absolute right thing.  The Good Samaritan law in Michigan says you HAD to stay and help as long as there was no danger of loss of life or property on your part.  Kudos for doing the right thing!   :)

That being said, the minute you don't respect the water, it will reach up and get you.  I am currently teaching the Boater's Safety class with the Grand Rapids Sail and Power Squadren here in my store every Tuesday night.  We cannot put enough emphasis on RESPECT.  If you boat long enough you will end up on both ends of the spectrum, I know I have.  Being prepared for the worst is your best option for surviving to fish/boat another day.

Again, welcome to the site and thanks for being a GOOD boater!

Mike
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

FrickerDude

Welcome to GLB.  Great Job at helping out someone in need!
FrickerDude

bob o

the stratos in question, i looked at the hull, no damage found, the livewell and other hoses seem to be good, he will have to float the boat at a local ramp to check for leaks. My best guess they took on water over the transom. Thanks for towing them in

oh yea, welcome to GLB

Mojo

Well its always nice to hear back from the hero !! Thank you thank you thank you for helping one of our own. You can PM me anytime if you need ideas or something new on LSC. Best wishes to you .

Mike
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

smallie9

I am glad to hear that maybe the boat does not have severe damage. Whatever the issue, it sure was taking on water fast. Waterfoul, "RESPECT" is a good word, and the right attitude to apply while on the lake. Most boaters I am afraid are not aware of the rules of navigation, and there responsibilities while on the waterways, and all to often I have seen it lead to bad things. Kudos to you for passing on some needed information to the masses.

Bob O, if you could tell the owner and his partner, I am just glad they are OK to fish another day.

Team houston

fiker

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

bob o

will do
Quote from: smallie9 on April 27, 2016, 06:26:55 AM
I am glad to hear that maybe the boat does not have severe damage. Whatever the issue, it sure was taking on water fast. Waterfoul, "RESPECT" is a good word, and the right attitude to apply while on the lake. Most boaters I am afraid are not aware of the rules of navigation, and there responsibilities while on the waterways, and all to often I have seen it lead to bad things. Kudos to you for passing on some needed information to the masses.

Bob O, if you could tell the owner and his partner, I am just glad they are OK to fish another day.

Waterfoul

Quote from: smallie9 on April 27, 2016, 06:26:55 AM

I grew up boating on Lake Michigan.  If you think St. Clair gets rough!!!   
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Thanks for helping a GreatLakesBass.com member in need and thanks for posting. Welcome to the site.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smallie9

I have fished them all in bad weather  ::)  (dumb I guess), and yes the "BIG" lakes can get a little squirrelly. I would be interested in knowing what the final diagnosis is on the cause of the situation, if anyone knows or finds out?

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

YpsiBass

Thanks for the help Chris.  I was hoping you'd post and I'd be able to extend a proper thank you.  I'll be making a longer post about this some time in the future, but right now still experiencing bouts of anxiety just thinking about it. You were in the right place at the right time and I'm not sure where I'd be now without the helping hand.

LUMBERLEO

Yikes that's an intense moment to say the Least.  Glad it worked out for everyone. 

smallie9

Earlier that morning I had issues with my motor and had to re-visit the marina on the other side of the lake to correct them, so that delayed my launch, apparently someone felt the delay was in order in order for me to be at the right place at the right time.

I was glad to help and mostly you are safe to fish again. I can understand the anxiety but don't let it keep you from enjoying the sport, as they say ***T happens. If you spend any time out there something is bound to happen (believe me I have had my share). We are a community bound by the sport we enjoy, and in community, sometimes we need to offer a helping hand.

TimH

Quote from: smallie9 on April 29, 2016, 06:30:58 AM
Earlier that morning I had issues with my motor and had to re-visit the marina on the other side of the lake to correct them, so that delayed my launch, apparently someone felt the delay was in order in order for me to be at the right place at the right time.

I was glad to help and mostly you are safe to fish again. I can understand the anxiety but don't let it keep you from enjoying the sport, as they say ***T happens. If you spend any time out there something is bound to happen (believe me I have had my share). We are a community bound by the sport we enjoy, and in community, sometimes we need to offer a helping hand.

I really like the last line in your post.  So much truth to that statement.  Proud to be part of the Brotherhood of Bass.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

Hi Chris, It's Tom...the passenger on Rick's boat that day.  I was waiting for Rick to make a post about the day because I didn't want to presume to speak for him, but I am very glad to have met you and welcome to GLB!  Thanks for being willing to lend a hand that day.  We owe you a debt of gratitude.  You were a class act and a huge help.  I was glad to have met you and hope to become friends.  I'm sorry I couldn't stick around and thank you in person, but I couldn't stop shivering and needed to get in the police car to try to warm up.  I had been cold and wet for about an hour at that point.  But THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  You did exactly what we are all supposed to do in a situation like that.  Grateful doesn't even come close man...truly.

Just a few quick comments if I may. :)
Rick is a great guy and good boater.  He has great respect for the big water and was rightfully a bit terrified of the nasty wind and waves that morning.  I am very eager to find out why he took on water because I don't believe it was just water over the transom.  We really didn't see much water coming over the transom.  It seemed more like we were rapidly taking on water IMO.  If it was just water over the transom, I suspect the bilge pumps could be part of the issue because they were barely pumping water out which concerned me as soon as I noticed it.   Even when the bilge was completely full of water, the pumps were intermittent and barely dribbled water out instead of shooting a nice stream like I'm used to seeing on most boats.  So I hope those pump hoses get checked because I wouldn't be surprised to hear they were cracked or maybe the pumps themselves need replacement.  Those things gotta PEE!  Either way, stuff happens that you can't predict or control.  So Rick, don't get squeamish about St. Clair or doubt your boating skills.  I'll go out with you again anytime my friend.  You're an awesome guy to hang with and I have no worries trusting you as a boater.  None of this was your fault.

I've been on St. Clair or 25 years and can testify to the hazards of big water.  I've been in a few dicey situations, but a good lesson here is to make sure your boat is ready for the big water.  In Rick's defense, he had no reason to suspect any issues with his boat being able to handle St. Clair because he's been out on it a lot with no problems, but this was a wakeup call for me to give my boat a once over and make sure things are ready to take the pounding St. Clair can give it.  Got the trolling motor strapped down well, bungeed things down that were loose, tightened all screws, nuts, and bolts, and checked connections.  I was out yesterday for a little while with Mojo with no issues...and trust me, it was wicked out there yesterday.  We actually only stayed out for a little while and opted to head home because it was just too nasty, but I'm glad my boat handled it with no issues. 

I know this isn't the "Christian" board, but I'd like to give a small testimony of how I think our lives were spared:  We were down by 9 Mile and fishing, with the pumps on because there was some water in the bilge.  It was nothing major, we just figured it was all the spray because of the rough ride, but we kept an eye on it.  We fished for a while and headed South to only find dirty water.  Because of that I suggested we go North (toward the launch) in search of cleaner water.   We had to take it slow because it was solid 3 foot white caps and about halfway back we speared a wave and I got soaked.  I had a rain jacket on, but no bibs, just jeans.  So cold and wet, I told Rick that I needed to head in because I couldn't stay out cold and wet...I'd freeze.  So we started to b-line to the ramp.  We got in front of the Black creek and saw Chris.  I could see that we were not going to make it to Harley because the boat was going under, so we flagged down Chris and got help.  (I'm leaving out a LOT of details, figuring that's more for Rick to comment on)

The moral of the story as far as I am convinced is that the wave that soaked me...saved our lives.  Had I not got wet, we'd have not made the b-line to Harley and would have likely been out in open water much farther off shore when the boat swamped.  And there would have been no one near to help us.  In 40 degree water, you don't have much time before hypothermia sets in...in fact, I suffered a mild case and couldn't stop shivering until after I showered back home.  Even after that, I spent much of the rest of the day cold.  Yes, I am supremely convinced that God sent that wave to soak me so that we'd get where we needed to be in order to get near Chris for help.  For that I am so thankful.

Most importantly Rick and I are ok.  I'm not sure about the Stratos.  I hope things turn out well.    Anyway, now that the story has gone public, hopefully Rick will give an account of his perceptions of the day and an update on the ole Stratus.  I hope it gets fixed and fishing again very soon.  I know what it's like to be without a boat...it sucks.  Keep your chin up Rick and you are welcome to fish with me on my boat in the meantime...anytime.  Same for you Chris.  Stay safe everyone. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Scary and could have been worse. Glad you guys only got cold and hope the boat sorts out soon. Sometimes it is just a number of cascading events that lead to catastrophe verses one obvious thing. Good thing some of us try to look out for each other!