Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

If no one keeps bass...

Started by YpsiBass, December 22, 2015, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YpsiBass

bob o

because more people catch and keep than you know about

TimH

That's for sure.  If your around lake st. clair (9 mile especially) or any of the metroparks, just look at what people are keeping.  You'd be surprised to see how many bass are actually kept.

Manxfishing

Growing up, We ate what we caught
And the first couple years BASS held harvest tournaments

It's changed over the years, Hard core bass fishermen don't keep bass and all tournaments are catch and release
But there's still people that eat what they catch.

And back in the 70's the legal size for bass was 10" in Michigan
I remember it going to 12" and then to 14"

dartag

I see bass on stringers on my lake all the time.  Still the number kept is a small percentage of bass in the lake. 

YpsiBass

Given that the landscape of the sport has changed and so many people are pro-bass conservation, why aren't more people in favor if lowering the catch and keep limits?

21XDC

Many that do keep bass, Don't follow the keep season, size limit, or creel limit anyway.... Laws/Rules only effect the honorable people, and most of those release 100% of them anyway.

Kind of like gun laws, They don't effect criminals.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

dartag

You are allowed to keep 5 fish per person in your live well.  They are in your possession even though you plan to throw them back.  When you catch your sixth keeper and are in the process of culling you have 6 fish in your possession.   If at that time you are approached by a CO you are in violation.  This is if you are fishing alone.  It would be his determination.   Some states do not allow culling.

Kind of a grey area. 

This has been debated on the internet for years. 

Like Mike said some don't follow the rules.  Luckily some get caught every year.  The MUCC Magazine used to publish the CO reports. 

djkimmel

We are fixing the definition of culling so it is legal to keep fishing in Michigan even when you have your limit in possession.

We have not pushed for changing the 5 bass limit because it is not necessary to further restrict people. Our bass are doing fine in big part to the voluntary live release rate of keeper bass being anywhere from 60% to 93% (Lake St. Clair has the highest voluntary release rate at the 93%).

It's very hard in Michigan frankly to get exception rules for bass tournaments because so many people have been allowed to think it is okay to think poorly of them and the anglers who participate in them. Many opens and non-club tournaments have already voluntarily reduced their possession limit to less than the 10 bass 2 anglers can keep so 5 works well for them.

If we reduced bass possession to 2 or 3 it would have little effect on team tournaments who have done this but possibly significant negative effect on groups who still keep 10 bass. What would it accomplish? Would it make our bass fishing remarkably better? From what we do know about our bass populations across the board it would probably make little difference to our bass populations considering how well many already are doing.

It could negatively impact angler satisfaction. Those anglers who want to keep some bass may bass fish less or quit bass fishing (believe me, it happens when you restrict anglers) out of dissatisfaction. We don't need less anglers fishing less, we need more anglers fishing more.

It could negatively impact anglers who do keep 10 bass to weigh in and cause some negative impact on how many times they fish. Again, if there is no real gain I personally don't support restrictions that aren't necessary. Restrictions always cause harm to how many people fish how often so I never support them if they can't be proven necessary.

All the dynamics together right now equal we have pretty good bass fishing across the board. Generally, where our bass fishing could be better it isn't how many bass people are keeping that are the problem, but things that bass need like habitat and forage. We maybe can do something about that if we get organized and try but we would need to do the right thing - identify the real issue and come up with a solution(s) to that issue(s).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Mann I rember the 70's on Otsego lake. My pops , gramps and Herman  would all go out for a week and bring in their daily limit for 6  days. Those 10's were so small. lol 

Then I rember gramps female dogin bout the fact the keeper size went up 2 inches one year. He never was happy after that.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Waterfoul

People eat bass?  YUCK!  LOL!!   ;D

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

Quote from: Waterfoul on December 24, 2015, 04:10:32 PM
People eat bass?  YUCK!  LOL!!   ;D

I tell them.  " Didn't your mother tell you never to put money in your mouth "

djkimmel

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on December 24, 2015, 01:48:18 AM
Mann I rember the 70's on Otsego lake. My pops , gramps and Herman  would all go out for a week and bring in their daily limit for 6  days. Those 10's were so small. lol 

Then I rember gramps female dogin bout the fact the keeper size went up 2 inches one year. He never was happy after that.

Love it when an old guy calls me a 'special interest' that wrecked his bass fishing... ;D

whatever...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.