Main Menu

Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Master Weekend Series

Started by Anthony Adams, September 01, 2007, 09:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Adams

Hello everyone.

The Bass Master Weekend Series has once again decided not to come to Michigan 2008

My Understanding is that the ABA does not feel there is enough interest in Michigan to have it here.

I would like to see this trail come to Michigan and I have hope we could change their mind.

Go to this link and write the ABA tell them why you feel this is a mistake and explain to them why they should bring the Weekend Series to Michigan.

http://www.americanbassanglers.com/contact.php
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

dartag

Was that the big news or is there more news on your local trail.   the link on your thread does not seem to work today.. 

ss

Eric

So, this is an ABA decision??  So, shall we direct our hatred towards them (corporate, I assume) for not thinking there is not enough interest, and not even trying?
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

TritonTR20

I talked to them earlier in the year and they told me there wasn't enough intrest at this time. They have a circuit in ohio. They told me they were thinking of adding a circuit in the midwest but it would be southern illinois and hope to draw from indianapolis. Nothing for northern indiana or michigan. Very disapointing. Write them and show them their is an intrest! >:(

Anthony Adams

Quote from: Eric on September 04, 2007, 10:24:38 AM
So, this is an ABA decision??  So, shall we direct our hatred towards them (corporate, I assume) for not thinking there is not enough interest, and not even trying?

Eric it was not my decision.

I was asked by the ABA to submit a schedule and schedule ideas. I put a ton of work into and submitted several avenues for them to follow.

The ABA chose not to put a trail in Michigan once again. They do not feel that Michigan is getting enough interest.

I believe that if we let them know there is strong interest then maybe we can changed their minds before the 2008 season starts.

I believe that we need to show the ABA they are making a mistake by not bringing the series to Michigan.
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

motocross269

Is the ABA/Bassmaster series different then the east/west ABA series that was ran this past year???

Eric

Anthony,

I know you did your best.  I certainly am not pointing fingers at your attempts to make this a go.  We even discussed scheduling options and ways to make it happen at the shows in the spring.  I just really enjoyed those tournaments, and now they decide not to continue them in Michigan, based on what they think.  Not what they know, or what they have tried, just what they think.  That is kind of disappointing. 
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Anthony Adams

Quote from: motocross269 on September 04, 2007, 10:19:57 PM
Is the ABA/Bassmaster series different then the east/west ABA series that was ran this past year???

Yes.

The Bass Master Weekend Series is suppose to be comparible to the BFL.

I do not run nor do I plan to run the Bass Master Weekend Series. This will be run by a team supported by the ABA.

American Fishing Tour is what I run and I will be back in 2008.

In Fact my first tournament is on Sept 23rd on Lake Nepessing.

Anthony Adams

Quote from: Eric on September 05, 2007, 05:36:27 AM
Anthony,

I know you did your best.  I certainly am not pointing fingers at your attempts to make this a go.  We even discussed scheduling options and ways to make it happen at the shows in the spring.  I just really enjoyed those tournaments, and now they decide not to continue them in Michigan, based on what they think.  Not what they know, or what they have tried, just what they think.  That is kind of disappointing. 

My understanding Eric is they want to bring IN, IL and MI on board at the same time.

Here is an e-mail I got from David Hagood.

To add MI for 2008 would mean another set of equipment ($193,000) and another crew ($80,000). When we took over the BWS we knew that the first year would be about the trail's survival. In 2008 season we need to launch and have a good season in each of the top areas. MI absolutely horrible numbers for BASS in the BWS in 2005 or 2006 and would be a new start location. It would be suicide for the series to spend 200K+ we don't have and pray for great numbers.

When we do start MI, IN and IL for the BWS it will be done when 2 things are assure.

1. We have an additional $193,000 for the equipment
   2. The numbers will be there.

We will be offering a guarantee $5,000 minimum first place at all BWS events for 2008. If the numbers increase to point we can justify a new Region that includes MI, IN and IL then that division can be started. We cant just start MI. IL and IN have to be part of the equation.

Anthony Adams

So what the BWS has done is lump IN, IL and MI into one group.

What I do not understand is why the BWS needs two trails in NY or why OH is better then MI. I feel they could close one of the NY trails (neither has great numbers) and add Michigan.

I do not understand why they would not or could not do this.

Or why OH which has poor numbers is a better option then MI is.

I believe that if anglers show there is a large amount of interest in Michigan then the BWS will find a way to add it to the 2008 schedule.

smbassman

Their best bet is lumping MI, IN and OH.  I can't see driving 7-8 hours to fish Illinois for a one day tournament. 

Anthony Adams

What BWS is saying is they will start a trail in MI, IN & IL at the same time. Thus making a new region. 3 trails total.

SethV

Why would we even want the BWS here?  It is supposed to be similar to the BFL, why not just fish the BFL?  Until the BFL fields fill up in MI, there is no real need for a "similar" trail.  All it will do is result in 2 smaller trails with less competition and lower payouts.

Anthony Adams

In the BWS your only 5 tourny's away from the Bass Master Classic.

Having both the BFL and the BWS here gives us anglers more opportunity.

It is interesting you commented about the BFL filling up. The BFL must fill up before it pays it's 5000 dollar grand prize. The BWS pays the 5000 regardless of how many boats show up.

Much like the TBF and BASS Fed we anglers benefit by having them both here competing for our membership. Having two is a good thing and will only result in giving us more opportunities to fish for more money.

Personally I would like to see two smaller trails paying more money. Wouldn't you?

bshaner

That sounds great to have 2 trails paying out more money, that's a no brainer, who wouldnt want that?

The reality is neither organization is going to do anything that loses money.  Having both organizations does not give more opportunity, it gives different choices. 

If you look at the year's schedules on Roy's site you'll see that we have too many trails already competing for membership.  Ultimately that just yields less turn out per trail.  The amount of tournament anglers does not raise exponentially every year, especially in Michigan where the economy is so depressed.  I would go out on a limb and say that anglers are fishing less tournaments or at the very least, less time consuming and less expensive tournaments.

I dont know anything about BWS and I wont comment on their trail or the ABA.  Who they are has no bearing on my opinion about 2 trails.  If you look at it objectively I dont see how you can come to the conclusion that more is better in this case.  In fact I think it would benefit anglers more if there were half the trails that are currently out there.  There are only so many weekends in a fishing season here in Michigan and every trail has to cram them into that short period.  The math of that alone creates alot of conflicts.

Finally, nothing against any of the major trails out there.. really.. I mean nothing personal.  However, it is beyond me why, as early as the BFL sets their schedule, why trails schedule major tournaments or events in direct conflict with the BFL.  All this does is force anglers to make tough choices about which event to fish. 

So to sum it up, I'm against 2 major trails and if the moon and planets alligned so that some special power was bestowed upon me to make all the decisions, I'd cut the trails and clubs in half with one major trail in the state with a few (very few) smaller trails who have the foresight to not schedule in conflict with the big trail.

Off my soap box,

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Skip Johnson

Bshaner you hit that one perfectley good job!!! ;)
Go Big or Go Home!

motocross269

I am kind of torn on this.....I would like to see the amount of circuits limited so theoretically that would increase the amount of boats in the tourneys I do fish, which would in turn (hopefully) increase the payout.  On the other hand I hate spending my money on any service or product that is monopolized by only one or two companies.
Fair competition breeds a better product for everyone. 
To be honest I feel that BASS/ESPN has bailed out on the weekend fisherman to ensure their profit margin....

bshaner

Thanks C n B :)

Moto, I 100% agree with you on monopolization (Cable companies come to mind). 

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844