Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

We may have a decision in March

Started by djkimmel, January 18, 2015, 12:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

The latest update on the bass season is that we may be talking to the MDNR about their overly conservative recommendation verses the strongly supported Option 4/D to come to some type of agreement for the February 12 Natural Resources Commission meeting formal presentation.

We testified in support again of Option 4/D along with MUCC and Michigan B.A.S.S. Nation President Paul Sacks.

Michigan Resource Stewards testified against. They were the only ones to do so. They are mostly retired MDNR employees. Their spokesperson Dave Borgeson is a trout guy formerly working as a biologist for the MDNR. He talked about sneaky, and a the sensitivity of the bass spawn, and how much bad harvest there will be.

Apparently he doesn't understand public processes and feels that if the end result is one you don't like then it must be sneaky I guess. I wonder if people like that understand WHY we have public processes in the first place?? He also doesn't seem to be aware that we have legally fished the entire U.P bass spawn and most of the Northern Michigan bass spawn legally during the HARVEST SEASON since his department moved the regular opening day back to Memorial weekend 43 years ago. And we still have bass... hmmm...?

He also seems be completely unaware of repeated surveys that show most bass anglers release most of their legal bass voluntarily already, and have been doing so for decades survey after survey back before the 1988 test catch and release season.

Don't you just hate it when someone talk about the 1960s like it's today when it is actually 2015?? ;D

Anyway, pending legislation to be introduced that we had very high support for late last year and we have been told it will be fast-tracked, the NRC should be able to make a final Michigan bass season decision at the March 19 public NRC meeting.

If you still want to have an impact on the outcome of this long, involved process you better act fast. Time is running out to impact getting the decision the process has chose instead of the 'bunt' half of the MDNR Fisheries Division is favoring - catch-and-release all year with the only additional harvest/tournament opportunity being 2 additional weeks on Lake St. Clair - 1 lake, 2 weeks, not even matching the St. Clair opener to Memorial weekend like the rest of the state despite their own study that states Lake St. Clair does not need anymore protection than any other lake in Michigan.

Remember, we want to go by science, not bias, who people like or don't like, or the 1960s. Support Option 4/D. Get the bass fishing opportunity you deserve.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Kal-Kevin

I know we sent emails in support of Option 4/D is there any thing we can do now to help? If it was possible to make the meetings I would but work is not open to that idea right now, short handed. Or is there anyone new that would help us to email?

Thanks for the update

djkimmel

You have helped a LOT!! Thank you! If you know more people you can get to send the email that will still help. I will keep you updated on any other possibilities as soon as it feasible and prudent to do so. We are working hard on it through multiple avenues.

If there is another MDNR recommendation given at the February 12th NRC meeting everyone has the right to public comment on that too until the March 19th meeting when the NRC will probably decide. We working hard to keep to that timeline.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

In case you missed it we do now have to wait until the Scientific Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act give the NRC their full authority back March 31st for them to act so the first meeting they can vote on a new bass season is at the April 9th meeting. We may have a good idea what we'll actually be getting much earlier than that though. I will update everyone as soon as I can. We are still working on it.

LAPORTE

thanks for keep us posted Dan nice job
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

djkimmel

You're welcome LAPORTE. It was the evening after we talked that I found out the disappointing news so I had to let a lot of people know that things had changed once again. I hope to have some type of better update Monday/Tuesday. A lot can still change between now and then with a number of things going on right now after yesterday's NRC and bass season meetings.

I'm still updating and getting feedback from the key groups and reps. We have a Conservation Coalition meeting this afternoon that I hope to get to provide a quick update to the many groups who signed on to support us from there too.

Waterfoul

The science doesn't lie.  Too bad many people in the MDNR (both new and old) seem to want to dispute their own facts.

As I said, this should be a slam dunk, 5 minute process on capital hill.  But politicians being who the are have to muck it all up.

I'm going to shoot my Rep, Tom Hooker, another message.  He is in full support of option 4/D.  Maybe he can help more than he already has.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

That won't hurt. We may be asking more of them shortly. To help the overall cause.

MSURoss

Quote from: Waterfoul on February 14, 2015, 03:15:02 PM
The science doesn't lie.  Too bad many people in the MDNR (both new and old) seem to want to dispute their own facts.

Being a biology major this just makes me sick.

djkimmel

There are other biology majors who go along with them. I guess that's what happens when humans are in charge of everything... :)

We'll get there. We are going to get a pretty good new season at minimum. Option 4 is on the rope at the moment but we are working hard on it still, and hoping for the best possible outcome regardless of all the social concerns and what some people think... cross your fingers and write some email, sign the petition. Whatever you can do to help.

Jefferson

So I'm a little confused on the season opener. At the Outdoorama talking to DJKimmel he said CIR would open immediately after the April 9th meeting. So the 10th. But then I read a recent article posted on the forum that said the legislature wasn't using immediate effect on bills anymore. So living right on Anchor Bay I'm wondering will it be the 10th or the 25th when I can start nailing them on the canals?

djkimmel

The Legislature won't be involved in this decision directly. The Natural Resources Commission gains full wildlife management and sole fisheries order authority on March 31st due to the Scientific Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act we passed by citizens' initiative last year.

The fisheries orders the NRC has been reviewing contain immediate effect clauses so their first opportunity to approve a fisheries order would be April 9th and immediate effect would mean the fisheries order could go into effect as soon as they vote, if they vote.

Hope that clarifies things for you on this process.