Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum

Bass Fishing => Michigan Bass Season => Topic started by: djkimmel on January 18, 2015, 12:30:19 PM

Title: We may have a decision in March
Post by: djkimmel on January 18, 2015, 12:30:19 PM
The latest update on the bass season is that we may be talking to the MDNR about their overly conservative recommendation verses the strongly supported Option 4/D to come to some type of agreement for the February 12 Natural Resources Commission (http://michigan.gov/nrc) meeting formal presentation.

We testified in support again of Option 4/D along with MUCC and Michigan B.A.S.S. Nation President Paul Sacks.

Michigan Resource Stewards testified against. They were the only ones to do so. They are mostly retired MDNR employees. Their spokesperson Dave Borgeson is a trout guy formerly working as a biologist for the MDNR. He talked about sneaky, and a the sensitivity of the bass spawn, and how much bad harvest there will be.

Apparently he doesn't understand public processes and feels that if the end result is one you don't like then it must be sneaky I guess. I wonder if people like that understand WHY we have public processes in the first place?? He also doesn't seem to be aware that we have legally fished the entire U.P bass spawn and most of the Northern Michigan bass spawn legally during the HARVEST SEASON since his department moved the regular opening day back to Memorial weekend 43 years ago. And we still have bass... hmmm...?

He also seems be completely unaware of repeated surveys that show most bass anglers release most of their legal bass voluntarily already, and have been doing so for decades survey after survey back before the 1988 test catch and release season.

Don't you just hate it when someone talk about the 1960s like it's today when it is actually 2015?? ;D

Anyway, pending legislation to be introduced that we had very high support for late last year and we have been told it will be fast-tracked, the NRC should be able to make a final Michigan bass season decision at the March 19 public NRC meeting (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2015_NRC_Meeting_Dates_11.14_474281_7.pdf).

If you still want to have an impact on the outcome of this long, involved process you better act fast. Time is running out to impact getting the decision the process has chose instead of the 'bunt' half of the MDNR Fisheries Division is favoring - catch-and-release all year with the only additional harvest/tournament opportunity being 2 additional weeks on Lake St. Clair - 1 lake, 2 weeks, not even matching the St. Clair opener to Memorial weekend like the rest of the state despite their own study that states Lake St. Clair does not need anymore protection than any other lake in Michigan.

Remember, we want to go by science, not bias, who people like or don't like, or the 1960s. Support Option 4/D. Get the bass fishing opportunity you deserve.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: Kal-Kevin on January 18, 2015, 08:52:30 PM
 I know we sent emails in support of Option 4/D is there any thing we can do now to help? If it was possible to make the meetings I would but work is not open to that idea right now, short handed. Or is there anyone new that would help us to email?

Thanks for the update
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: djkimmel on January 18, 2015, 09:36:39 PM
You have helped a LOT!! Thank you! If you know more people you can get to send the email that will still help. I will keep you updated on any other possibilities as soon as it feasible and prudent to do so. We are working hard on it through multiple avenues.

If there is another MDNR recommendation given at the February 12th NRC meeting everyone has the right to public comment on that too until the March 19th meeting when the NRC will probably decide. We working hard to keep to that timeline.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: djkimmel on February 12, 2015, 07:41:42 PM
In case you missed it we do now have to wait until the Scientific Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act give the NRC their full authority back March 31st for them to act so the first meeting they can vote on a new bass season is at the April 9th meeting. We may have a good idea what we'll actually be getting much earlier than that though. I will update everyone as soon as I can. We are still working on it.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: LAPORTE on February 13, 2015, 08:52:36 AM
thanks for keep us posted Dan nice job
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: djkimmel on February 13, 2015, 10:26:41 AM
You're welcome LAPORTE. It was the evening after we talked that I found out the disappointing news so I had to let a lot of people know that things had changed once again. I hope to have some type of better update Monday/Tuesday. A lot can still change between now and then with a number of things going on right now after yesterday's NRC and bass season meetings.

I'm still updating and getting feedback from the key groups and reps. We have a Conservation Coalition meeting this afternoon that I hope to get to provide a quick update to the many groups who signed on to support us from there too.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: Waterfoul on February 14, 2015, 03:15:02 PM
The science doesn't lie.  Too bad many people in the MDNR (both new and old) seem to want to dispute their own facts.

As I said, this should be a slam dunk, 5 minute process on capital hill.  But politicians being who the are have to muck it all up.

I'm going to shoot my Rep, Tom Hooker, another message.  He is in full support of option 4/D.  Maybe he can help more than he already has.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: djkimmel on February 17, 2015, 02:07:54 PM
That won't hurt. We may be asking more of them shortly. To help the overall cause.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: MSURoss on February 18, 2015, 10:24:35 AM
The science doesn't lie.  Too bad many people in the MDNR (both new and old) seem to want to dispute their own facts.



Being a biology major this just makes me sick.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: djkimmel on February 18, 2015, 12:48:17 PM
There are other biology majors who go along with them. I guess that's what happens when humans are in charge of everything... :)

We'll get there. We are going to get a pretty good new season at minimum. Option 4 is on the rope at the moment but we are working hard on it still, and hoping for the best possible outcome regardless of all the social concerns and what some people think... cross your fingers and write some email, sign the petition. Whatever you can do to help.
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: Jefferson on March 22, 2015, 10:02:50 AM
So I'm a little confused on the season opener. At the Outdoorama talking to DJKimmel he said CIR would open immediately after the April 9th meeting. So the 10th. But then I read a recent article posted on the forum that said the legislature wasn't using immediate effect on bills anymore. So living right on Anchor Bay I'm wondering will it be the 10th or the 25th when I can start nailing them on the canals?
Title: Re: We may have a decision in March
Post by: djkimmel on March 24, 2015, 10:29:47 AM
The Legislature won't be involved in this decision directly. The Natural Resources Commission gains full wildlife management and sole fisheries order authority on March 31st due to the Scientific Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act we passed by citizens' initiative last year.

The fisheries orders the NRC has been reviewing contain immediate effect clauses so their first opportunity to approve a fisheries order would be April 9th and immediate effect would mean the fisheries order could go into effect as soon as they vote, if they vote.

Hope that clarifies things for you on this process.