Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:38:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Michian Bass Basics: Deep Clear Lakes of the North

Started by Savage, January 30, 2006, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage

Anyone who's spent more than a few years pursuing bass in Michigan has likely ended up on one of our great big 'ol lakes on the Northwest side: Torch, Elk, Charlevoix, etc.  They can be a real challenge to fish, especially during the summer, since there is a massive lack of visible cover throughout %95 of the lake. :(

My question for everyone is this:  What is your favorite pattern on these lakes?  What do you like to use, and where?  What colors work well for you?  You don't have to be overly specific, but this is to help us all.

What I have done with limited success:

Low light:  Fish can be found shallow (12 feet or less is shallow on these lakes) early and late.  If there is wood cover on bottom (like on Elk) they are scattered amoung it usually.  A guy in my club cleaned my clock with a jerkbait during this time, but he caught all small ones.  I did better with a 4" Case tube, in the RR45blue color.  If you do use the jerkbait in the low light, go with a pearl color.

Mid-day:  The fish start to pull out on the breaks.  Try hanging in from the drop and casting out into the deep with a tube.  Drag the tube slowly up and over the break.  If you feel some kind of cover, work the area well.  Sometimes the crazy smallies will hit a spook way out over the deep off the break.

Now please help us out!

Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

Long casts burning big willowleaf spinnerbaits. Try painted all white, white/chartreuse and all chartreuse looking for a preference. There usually is a strong one.

'Burning' tubes. Cast a tube, weighted heavy enough to work in the present conditions, way out and reel it in fast so it erratically 'swims' along high up in the water column. Try letting it sink to the bottom and use a hard snap-fall retreive to get reaction bites.

On Elk, I've done REAL good in the past on sand colored craws, grubs and tubes. On Torch, a milky, light brown of some kind will match the ghost colored crayfish out there. I haven't noticed a real strong consistent color preference elsewhere up there.

On Charlevoix, I've found bass in schools off the first drop on small flat spots in 22 to 24 feet, and caught them during the day on Carolina-rigged Yamamoto grubs. Nothing fancy.

I sometimes look for off-colored water and any kind of current when I just need some shallow power fish.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

joshimoto son

My only experience is on Charlevoix, once two years ago at the state fish-off, we found something similar to what DK mentioned. Using a carolina rig with a watermelon w/ silver flake pheonix tube on a Grigsby hook, the yami's were not working for us. We worked the first break in 20-27 FOW and found the fish to be "nipping" at the tails for a while until they decided to take it.

I can't take any credit for the pattern, I was practicing with one of the guys in our club who has forgotten more about fishing than I will ever know and he was the one who started doing it.

But the thing that was "key" to getting bit was the drift. We did not cast and retrieve, it was a matter of moving along the break line with the wind and then finding any piece of isolated structure or cover that would hold them. Then continually drifting over that spot.

I mentioned that the fish were bitting very lightly, for every fish we caught, we had on average five bites that we did not hook up on.

Does anybody think that if we were to run a trailer hook that would fall back into the tail of the tube, that we would have had more hook-ups?

Josh

djkimmel

I've played with that, but it hasn't 'rocked my world' yet. Still on the list of experimentin'

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

yukonjack2

I'm thinking of running a snelled gammy trailer  - they work great on spinnerbaits, and was thinking a tube bait would be a great choice - as long as there isn't to much snaggy stuff down there.

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Savage

Okay, we have a good start here....  anyone ever hear of floating a weightless senko out over the deep water for suspended smallies in these lakes? ???  I remember some guys doing that at the state tournament last time it was at Charlevoix.  I'd say dropshotting would probably be a good technique there, too.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

Drop-shotting will be interesting on those northen lakes. As for floating the senko - maybe after I finish watching paint dry...

I have a partner who's job it is to do that boring, snoozy stuff because I rarely can handle it. Maybe twice year. I'll be out there buring a spinnerbait, topwater or crankbait hoping I at least catch one or two so I don't get the "why can't you just throw what is working for me" lecture...

Dan

I get a chance to fish some of the lakes south of Traverse and they are clear smallie lakes and deep for me is 5 ft. You would be surprised, well maybe not, at the number of big smallies we get in very shallow water over what looks like bare sand. Any little pebble, footprint filled in with silt a fish will sit over. You'd swear you could see them if they are there but.... Tubes, spinnerbaits - I'm with Lt. Dan - white painted blade double willows. I also like to chuck carolina rigs with zippers, senkos, and tubes. I like to match the three phases of craw colors. Early summer more green, midsummer drab green with black, and late summer the greens with orange. I too fish breaks but only if the real shallow stuff isn't working. Can't hardly not throw a sammy early and sometimes late into the morning and occasionally in the pm we will pick one up. When I throw a chugger, I like a sugoi. They are smaller and have more side to side action. In the fall try a purple trap.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

blakstr1

Fishing mostly clear waters with ligher color bottoms I prefer either a sand with blue flake or a smoke with silver and gold flake...both have produced well.  generally like to stick with different hues of green pumpkin too..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

rufus

I have fished Elk many times from late June through early October. It is an awesome smallie lake once you find the key to catching them. In the fall and early summer all you need is shallow dark water and you will load the boat. When the fiahing gets tough I have found them on the deep wood and the scattered small weed patches in 18-27 feet of water. We fished and unusually warm late September fall classic out there a few years back with about 100 boats. My partner and I and about four other boats were the only ones on Elk. Almost the entire field was on Skegmog. We ended up cashing a very nice check and so did the other boat that was fishing within sight of us. We lost several fish the second day that would have put us in the top three, but still managed a decent limit. All those fish came from 22+ FOW on watermelon/gold tubes and off small patches of grass in several areas of the lake. We could not get bit off the deep wood that tourney. The winners came off of Torch and kicked everyones tail. He said they caught theirs in 25 feet off of a boulder he had found. The tournament director told us the other lakes were good, but "Torch will make you famous", he was right ;). He also had big bass both days.
God Bless and Good Fishin'
rufus

UPBert

I haven't fished the lakes mentioned in the NW lower much, but fish several up here (Upper Peninsula) that are gin clear.  Senkos do work fished deep, but as mentioned, it is a "relaxing" style of fishing.  I can stand this pace if I have a good partner in the boat to BS with.  I have thought about trying senkos wacky rigged with a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jig head - should get it down quicker.  So many ideas, so little time...

I usually start fishing very early, and beat the banks with good success.   Once the sun gets up over the trees, this pattern fizzles out rather quickly.  As mentioned though, it doesn't take much structure or cover to hold fish in clear lakes. 

Come July or so up here, the fish seem to really stack up on the end of points in 25-40' of water.  Drop shotting shines in this situation, and has caught me a crapload of fish.  It is a more active way to fish, have to watch the electronics to stay on the spot/fish, and pretty fast action when you get it right.  I also have caught many other species besides bass doing this - including pike, perch, bluegill, trout, rock bass, crappie, and one bullhead!  I believe fish in deep/clear lakes spend a lot of time deeper than most people would think.

UPBert