Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Buckey Lures Mop Jig

Started by McCarter, June 12, 2007, 08:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

I considered keeping this a secret, but much like a 12 year old school girl, I just cant keep quiet.

You guys know how I feel about jigs.  They are my favorite bait.  I catch fish on them from ice out to ice on.  You will never see me in a boat with out at least one rod rigged with a jig, unless i am on Lake St Clair or Erie.  I have a couple that work well for me.  Strike King Bitsy Bugs and Bitsy Flips have been good to me the past couple years, and I still have some Terminator jigs that I throw occasionally.  But i have found something so unbelievable incredible that I have my doubts about throwing any other jig again.  Buckeye Lures came out with a jig last year that they dubbed the Mop Jig, no doubt due to its large round rubber skirt.  Davy Hite won the Bassmaster Elite Series event on Clarks Hill last year with this very jig.  I saw that Mike of Mikes Rx had a few at the Wonderland Marine West Fishing Extravaganza so I picked one up.  My initial thought was that this is a very big jig and I might not be so prone to throw it over my precious Bitsy Bug.  So into the jig box it went and in the jig box it stayed.  Until this past Saturday when Jeff Cheetam and I paired up to fish the Midwest Sportsman tournament on Kent Lake.

We caught fish all day long, but the real action came on the Mop Jig.  This thing out produced anything else we threw all day long.  It is by far the best jig I have ever thrown.

Here is a little about the 1/4 oz Mop Jig i threw.

Skirt:  Very unique round rubber skirt.  Has more action that any skit i have seen.  Its bulky, but not too bulky.  they put just the right number of strands in it to keep a perfect profile.  The thing literally explodes when it hits bottom.  You would have to fish one to know what i mean.

Head:  The head design doesnt look like anything special at first.  It works through grass well and has a very tough paint job on it that looks like it would last a lifetime.  But the real fun starts when the jig hits the water and makes its way down.  Due to the head design, the jig actually dances its way to the bottom with a tight side to side sway.  Action causes the skirt and trailer to shake which makes it look just like a fleeing crawfish.

Hook:  Big Mustad Flipping hook thats not so heavy that you miss fish.  I fished this jig all day on 17 lb mono and had no problems with hooksets.  I missed a couple good ones that got wrapped up in the thick stuff and popped off, but that will happen.

Skirt tie:  Its a wire wrap that holds the skirt in place.  No more dry rotted bands that break off. 

Rattles:  Loud and secure.  I put this jig though heck and the rattles never moved.

I got a bad birdnest on my flipping stick and the heaviest line i had left was 12 lb flouro that was about 2 weeks old.  I refused to tie the Mop Jig on that line, so i put it down cuz i didnt want to break it off.  Instead i through a Bitsy flip for the rest of the day and only caught one small fish.  Thank god we already had a good limit or there is no way we would have ended up with what we had.

They offer 3 sizes, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 oz and some great colors.  Our sponsor Mikes Rx carries the full line, so if you are interested, give him the business.

I am not on Buckeyes pro staff or anything.  You guys know how i am.  If i find something that i truly believe makes a difference and helps put more fish in the boat for ya, i am more than willing to share.  I truly believe this is the best jig made.  A combination on the skirt design and head design convinced me of that.  Buy them, you will like them.  If you dont like them, i will buy them off you.  You have my word on that!

McCarter himself :-\'