Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Elk and Torch Suggestions?

Started by Teachspark, May 24, 2007, 02:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teachspark

Is anyone familiar with Elk and Torch in early June?  I am headed there with 3 other boats for a small fish off to prove who is the smallmouth champion (a little male bravado tourney).  Not sure where to go or how to fish it for the best results.

BigSmallie

Then it already sounds like this fish-off is set up perfect.......who ever ends up finding the fish and winning.......will prove themselves as the "Smallmouth Champion".

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

Dan

Skeegmog will have the fish bedding first. Then you need to find wood on Torch or Elk. Some big ones in Skeegmog though so check it out first. There is a nice township park right on Elk. Very nice ramp with plenty of parking for a bass tournament. Whitewater Township Park. Check out the article on our last year's tournament on The Torch Chain on the teardropbass.com webpage. It should have some more info there.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Teachspark

Has anyone been to Skeegmog lately?  I have a feeling the bedding fish will be done in Skeegmog.  I live in Indiana and the spawn is finished here.

Dan

My guess is that they are about peak right now. They were just coming up on Portage Lake north of Manistee last weekend and they should be peak up on Crystal this weekend. Last year about June 12 was good on Torch.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Teachspark

Thanks Dan.  I've heard you can find them around the Clam River entrance.  Would you suggest this area?

Teachspark

Dan, as for Portage...Two friends of mine went up last weekend fun fishing.  They claim that for two years in a row soft plastics with red glitter outfished any other colors 3 to 1. 

Dan

I have fished the Clam River in a State Federation event up there. We got our limit but the guys that won it cruised the main lake drop and dropped senkos on deeper beds they found on wood right at the drop. Last year about the 20th of June found some fish still on beds at the very northern end of Torch. Beautiful rocky reef area there. Also if you run straight across to the west shore of Torch opposite of where the Clam takes off to the east and look for flats with wood and throw to all rafts and anchored boats with spinnerbaits you can do well. Have a grub rod ready for the fish that come off the wood to look at your spinnerbait because if they won't hit the spinnerbait they'll hit that grub in a hurry on a follow up cast. If you are looking for a good lunch as you enter the Clam there is a restaurant to the left north and a grocery type store on the right or south side. That grocery store makes awesome broasted chicken and fries and has great!!!! sandwiches. You can dock right at the store. Check the muskies out they have mounted in there. After you do, you won't go swimming. They said the muskies came out of Skegmog. Huge fish!! In the Clam I have done the best way down where it bends to go up to that other lake whose name escapes me. There is an island there and we caught our better fish there. There will be beds all along the shore down to it as well. If you checked my web page article (teardropbass.com 2006 articles button) on our last years Torch tournament, you will find directions to the Whitewater Campground. Very nice. Staying there you have direct access to Elk and are right across Elk from where Skegmog is. The canal to Torch is midway down Skegmog across from the DNR launch. Very stumpy. 45 minute idle from Skeegmog to Torch.

Teachspark

That is some great help!  Thanks.  DId you find any colors that seemed to work best?

Dan

This time of year the crayfish are a dark green so that is always where I start. But.... I often throw the kitchen sink at bedded smallies. Sometimes it just takes some weird color or piece of plastic. Hot pink, chartreuse, white, french fry, small senkos, and small berkley flukes. The flukes are a good little bait.