Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

5-12 at the DK Open

Started by Revtro, May 12, 2007, 10:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Wow was it windy today!!!  Yikes!  Normally I wouldn't even bother staying out on a day like today being a total wuss and all.  But since it was the illustrious big money DKO, we headed out to be greeted by 3 footers.  (the deck was soaked within the first 2 minutes)

I decided to be a sissy and start fishing in the canals hoping it would calm down.  We had our limit by 9am, but nothing to be proud of.  Seeing that the wind died a little we decided to head out to the main lake to see if we could upgrade with some Smallies.  We got down to the mile roads where all the other boats were and fished for a while, but didn't get bit for a half hour and this is where I made the fatal mistake of the day.  "Thinking" the water was just too dirty and hoping to find clearer water, we bugged out and headed South.  Well, unlike yesterday the water was dirty well past 9 mile and I hear it was dirty all the way down to the river.  By now we'd already made it past 9 Mile and still haven't upgraded our catch.  Then I make fatal mistake #2 by making the run to Anchor Bay to see if the water looked better up there.  I'm SUCH AN EEDIOT!  I should have stuck it out at the mile roads because apparently it lit up!!  If I had only stayed...  Grr.

We caught a bunch of fish in Anchor Bay, but only upgraded by a few ounces and got pounded to boot.  Why oh why didn't I use my head?  It took over 21lbs to win.  We came in with a measly 10.3 or so.  After the day we had yesterday (Friday), I think I spent too much time trying to reproduce those patterns today rather than using my brain.  If I were fishing Monday (can't fish on Sundays) and the wind was still blowing, I'd park myself on the mile roads with a drift sock and go to work.  In fact, I may just do that if I can afford some more gas. 

The good news was my partner.  I got to fish with ABA Jaye and she was a great partner to have on the boat.  She was very pleasant and friendly.  She didn't mind me talking the whole day about my pets and stuff. (hey what do you expect, I don't have kids)  Jaye wouldn't eat any of my lucky Slim Jims, but hey, nobody's perfect.  ;D  Anthony, you've got a keeper.  And she looks groovy in that fiery Fish Hedz mask I loaned her. he he

So this all goes to show ya that sometimes practice can hurt you more than help you when you're stuck on stupid like me.  But heck, it was still a great day being out and we did catch lots of fish.  So it beats a sharp stick in the eye for sure.  Great job everyone, especially our winners.  I think this makes Jason Madigan the first 2 time winner of a DK event.  Congrats to you and your 2 partners.  It was great seeing many of you again and meeting some new friends.  And congrats to Sensai Steve for his second 2nd place finish in a DK as well. 

When all was said and done, many of us headed over to Ram's Horn and had a nice lunch together.  Lots of stories and fun.  I wish we could do this every weekend.  Maybe a DK trail is in the cards for the future...  I commented to someone today that after fishing a few other trails and clubs, the GLB guys are some of the nicest I've found.  It was a pleasure.  See ya next time.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Dan

Yea some of us ate at the Ramshead, Boershead, or whatever. I think it was called ditch the west siders :) Just follow the bass boats......... well after waiting for Lt. Dan to talk himself out we gave up and did just that but....there were two tournaments and not all the bass boats that left went to the Ramshead. So, after we backtracked a couple times we said oh well, and ended up just getting on the eway and heading towards Kzoo.
Despite severe malnutrition and dehydration we survived and after thoroughly analyzing the day decided we had a great day despite the wind and no lunch.
Got to ride with Madwags. This guy can fish! He gave us a brief sample of his extensive knowledge of St. Clair and he put us on a limit of fish in the first 15 minutes and in a nice quiet spot with no wind or waves. Good to get back in to a Skeeter again as well. Rough water, but in a good rig with a good bdriver you smooth out the waves. Thought I'd go to St. Clair though and catch smallies. Caught about 40+ largeheads. Just couldn't get that big bite going. Dave and Dave waxed them and I got good at lippin fish. Got to meet a number of folks. Got to reconnect with Anthony from his Tear Drop Bass days. Got a case of oil from Jack for Cy. Met Ryan, MIBassKid, and a bunch of others that I'm currently to punchy to recall. Looked for you Rev, but never got to meet you. Think now though I know who you are in terms of a monacure and face.
Had a great time talking fishing with TCook on the the drive there and back. Seemed like just a short time rather than 4 hours each way. Hoped to fish some more with TCook and check some water out. Hope to get back over to St. Clair soon and wack some smallies. Maybe next week if I don't go north. Thanks to all who were involved with DK in putting on a great outing and can't wait to do it again. Next time I'll make sure I follow someone with a GLB sticker. 11:44 here in the Celery Capital and that puts me at about 40 hours with 2 hours of sleep so I guess it's lights out. Good night John Boy.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Skip Johnson

It was a nice turnout Im glad I could be part of it I met a few more glb members it was nice to meet all of you. the fishing was real good for us I had two co anglers and I was a little unsure about 3 guys in my boat but it turned out to be no problem and I would do it again, the two guys I fished with from my boat were jason madigan and chris sloan and both were a pleasure to fish with and both did well, if we were having an individual tournament instead of a team tournament we would have had 1st 2nd and 3rd we cought about 40 or 50 smallies and we threw back countless 3lb + smallies that we never bothered measuring it was just a super fun day on the lake.
THANK YOU AGAIN DAN FOR PUTTING THIS FUN EVENT TOGETHER :)
Go Big or Go Home!

bosshawg

thought about you people yesterday morning while i was watching a couple of my gr'kids playing their soccer game. was definately a chill and windy - and i was inland...sorry to miss the activities and maybe catch the fall open again. sounds like thou all were on bass.
getting gear ready today as headin' to tennessee this week for a wedding, jack and bass on tim's ford lake. y'all have a nice week and maybe will have some pics to show.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

fiker

Yeah you missed it Boss.  It was a great time. 
I could be wrong, but I think every boat came back with a limit. 
And......are you ready for this.....................   (drum roll please)..............
I FINALLY WEIGHED A FISH IN A DK OPEN!!

My boater Langer, (who by the way was the most perfect host) actually took off the work the day before so that he could scout the lake.  He knew the pressure he was under,fishing a new lake.  Fishing with a DK open virgin.  First time ever on big water with his boat.
When the tourney started he made all the right decisions.  He took what he knew and applied it to the conditions of the day.  I was really worried tdhat with those winds and waves that my back would be blown out today.  Langer made sure that I didn't get jostled around too bad.  In fact, I thought the rides was exceptionally smooth considering. Good job man, and thanks for a wonderful day.
We spent most of our time fishing the channels for largies.  And we caught a bunch of em..... We had one stretch of sea wall where we just pounded em one right after the other.
Big thanks once again to all those who were involved with the orgainization of this new event.  Big thanks to all those who donated prizes.  Dan had to apologize, he said that the Ranger boat deal didn't come through, close, but no cigar. 
Darn!  And I just knew I was going to win it too. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dartag

we had a great day also.  standing there at the launch with my hair blowing in the wind ( what little there is )  cheetam and i decided to head north into the Gale for the salt river.  caught a nice smallie on the second cast and the day was on.  we caught a mixed bag of pike, smallies, rock bass and largemouth.  did see a few on beds but all were small.  decided to head to Muskamoot.  never been in there before so the ride in was fun.  on plane in 2 feet of water with my new prop down there shivering i am sure.   found lots of empty beds.  Jeff got on them with a spinnerbait and got 3 keepers in 3 casts.  we came back by the metro cutoff but the water looked like Coco.  made it in safe and sound.

since there was no Ranger boat we didn't feel bad about not winning.

thanks again dan for all the hard work.

ss, jc

Dan

My ride partners from the DK Open with some LSC green fish. Dave 1 and Dave 2
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Glad you all had fun. It was not the perfect weather, but everyone got a limit - so the fishing was still pretty good.

I really appreciate everyones' willingness to work things out with all the boat changes (including mine) - we had, I believe, 5 boats with 3 in them.

Don't know what happened to live2fish and Gbaade. Had you down on the list, but no show. Hope you're both alright?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Anthony Adams

I Just want to say thanks to Dan for putting on a fun event. I liked the laid back format and loved the 8 am start time....

People don't realize how much effort goes into to running an event like this. The stress, phone bills, and headaches .... but in the end it's always a butt load of fun..

Thanks Dan for putting up with us for a day.

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

djkimmel

You're welcome and did I mention - THANKS TO ANTHONY ADAMS for the important paper tournament supplies and the lures, dock locks and everything else. ABA Jaye helped a lot too - hope she had fun fishing too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Anthony Adams

:D

Your cracking me up Dan
Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Eric

Dartag,

If Cheetam didn't show you some of his supersecret largemouth holes, he was sandbagging and probably cost you guys the win.  Buzzbait heaven they are.
;D
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Team houston

I just want to thank everybody that showed up and especially the organizers and sponsers. I had a great time and my boater YukonJack was a great host. Dan I cannot wait till your book comes out.

Langer

Quote from: fiker50 on May 13, 2007, 09:05:50 AM
Yeah you missed it Boss.  It was a great time. 
I could be wrong, but I think every boat came back with a limit. 
And......are you ready for this.....................   (drum roll please)..............
I FINALLY WEIGHED A FISH IN A DK OPEN!!

My boater Langer, (who by the way was the most perfect host) actually took off the work the day before so that he could scout the lake.  He knew the pressure he was under,fishing a new lake.  Fishing with a DK open virgin.  First time ever on big water with his boat.
When the tourney started he made all the right decisions.  He took what he knew and applied it to the conditions of the day.  I was really worried tdhat with those winds and waves that my back would be blown out today.  Langer made sure that I didn't get jostled around too bad.  In fact, I thought the rides was exceptionally smooth considering. Good job man, and thanks for a wonderful day.
We spent most of our time fishing the channels for largies.  And we caught a bunch of em..... We had one stretch of sea wall where we just pounded em one right after the other.
Big thanks once again to all those who were involved with the orgainization of this new event.  Big thanks to all those who donated prizes.  Dan had to apologize, he said that the Ranger boat deal didn't come through, close, but no cigar. 
Darn!  And I just knew I was going to win it too. 

Rick (Fiker50) was a great partner for the day, he put up with me fishing the canals all day, which must of been hard knowing that there were smallies all over out in the Lake, sorry I wasnt more confident to make the run down to the mile roads to try for those smallies, looking back it probably wouldnt of been that bad of a run, but being my first time in my boat out there I guess I wimped out!! Thanks for the Company and Sorry I couldnt get you on the Smallmouth bite.

I owe all our success, Me and Rick's 1st ever Limit of fish in a tournament, to Revtro for kindly taking me out in his boat on Friday and showing me around and giving me some spots to try. With his help I wouldnt of had a clue where to start.

Big Thanks to Dan for the Site and Hosting a great event, also a big thanks to the sponsors, there were alot of great prizes to be won. I cant wait for Next Years event, heck depending on Gas I may even do the Westside event.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

djkimmel

Langer - you both did great getting a limit under tough cold front conditions on a completely new lake to you. The Great Lakes are no place to mess around. There is a learning curve for everyone - some take their time and learn it at the rate comfortable to them, and other learn it the hard way - sometimes real hard.

As long a you had fun - that's what counts in this event. There will be a next time, hopefully with easier conditions. It wasn't too bad out there, but it was definitely bumpy. It can change around different parts of the lake too so your decision was not a bad one at all. Thanks for fishing.

Cheetam

Quote from: Eric on May 14, 2007, 08:29:16 AM
Dartag,

If Cheetam didn't show you some of his supersecret largemouth holes, he was sandbagging and probably cost you guys the win.  Buzzbait heaven they are.
;D

Shhhhhh.....lol...

The only reason i ever fished for largemouth in the first place is because I can never find the smallmouth...The best smallmouth fishery in the world and I can never find any...unless of course I'm fishing for walleye...
Jeff

Hooksetter

Dan,

Thank you for the all the time you put in to make this event happen.

Thank you ABA and ABA JAYE for your expertise in running a paper tournament.

Thanks to all the sponsors and everyone else that donated prizes and their time to this event.

Thank you Jack for sharing your boat and putting us on the fish.

Nice to meet you Team Houston, good luck in the BFL's.

Cast-n-Blast...So you CAN catch smallies!?! :o

I had a great time once again and am looking forward to the fall event.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.