Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

St. Clair 5-11

Started by Revtro, May 11, 2007, 08:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Well it's the day before the DK so me, Langer, and SensaiSteve went out for the day.  All in all we had a pretty good day.  We lost count of how many we caught, but all 3 of us agreed that we got more than 40..probably close to 50.  We went thru a lot of smaller fish but our best 5 probably went 17 to 20 lbs. (I say 17, they say 20)  ;D  (actual weight, not Golden Rule weight!)  The Golden Rule weight would have been less since it's for Largemouth, not Smallies.  These fish were FAT.  We had 16 inchers that went 3+, so that tells you how fat these girls were. 

We started in Anchor Bay in the Selfridge area.  Last year we did well there in early spring finding spawners in about 7 FOW.  But today we couldn't lock on to that pattern.  We fished a few spots, but got discouraged and headed South of Metro Beach.  Immediately we picked up 4 smallies near a dropoff in 8 FOW and started to feel better.  From there.. it was ON.

Anyway, for tomorrow I recommend people head South of 12 Mile.  Look for clean water.  The water between 12 Mile and the Clinton River was still very dirty.  We didn't pick up anything in the Mile Roads until we got into cleaner water.  We got down to Grosse Pointe Shores and got some fish, but we didn't make it down as far as we would have liked due to the wind kicking up and the lake getting kind of nasty by 5 or so.  But my gut tells me that with all the rock down towards the Detroit River, it would be a good bet.  But if you don't want to make the run, fish the Mile Roads between 9 Mile and 12 Mile and you'll do ok. 

Our best fish came out of 10 FOW, but it needed to be closer to shore.  The productive color was green tubes.  I tried all kinds of other colors, but green was the deal today.  I also got quite a few on green Senkos and Green Craw Xtreme Tubes.  The jerkbait bite wasn't on for me today although I saw another angler catch quite a few small ones on a jerkbait.  There must have been quite a color preference because I tried a couple different colors and couldn't duplicate the jerkbait bite.  I'm not sure what he was throwing.  I wouldn't give up on the jerkbait bite though.  I have a feeling if you get to clean water early, you could do ok on jerkbaits.

The canals were ok, but the main lake Smallie bite was WAY better IMO.  The Smallies were much better quality.

I'm not sure how some folks will feel about this kind of lake report the night before a tournament, but the DKO is a FUN tournament, we're not talking big bucks here.  And my hope is that a lof of you who will be fishing St. Clair for the first time will catch a lot and have fun.  That's what this event is all about.  See ya'll in the AM.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

bshaner

Did you happen to see the red triton driving around in circles at varying speeds?  I was out there from noon until 5 just running up and down from Selfridge to the river along the west shore.

You cannot imagine the strength of will it took to not stop and soak a fishing line.  I have no nails left and I went through an entire can of snuff.  A hot foot is not fun when breaking in a motor either.  I kept switching feet and both of them were tingling, falling asleep.

I stopped for 30 minutes on the way back in for the day and caught 3 decent keepers. (Not bad for the second time ever being on the lake and first time by myself) Green Senko (weightless), Extreme Tackle hula grub in watermelon w/ black purple and gold flake, and a watermelon red/flake senko on a spotremover.

I found them in 3 different spots that had one thing in common.  A change in depth.  I positioned myself so that I was in shallow water just to where I could barely see the bottom and worked the water just out from me that I could not see the bottom.  I would tell you a depth make it sound like I actually am an educated angler but I didnt even bring my sonar with me because I knew I'd stop and fish all day :)

I tried several slash/jerk baits and traps with no success.

Rev is right, there's just something about that lake and the color green I guess.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Revtro

Sorry I missed you out there.  We abandoned the Selfridge area before you even got out there.  We fished South the rest of the day.  Too bad, it would have been nice to run in to ya.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

motocross269

Bshaner..I saw you put in at selfridge just as I was leaving.  I was in a black Ford with a short  blue ranger on the back. I was basically just trying out my boat and looking around anchor bay.
Revtro I should have followed you down to the mile roads..I think I saw you guys out there.  I have been working out some kinks in my boat and I was a little afraid to run to far.  I was going to IM you and tell you I was going out today, but I didn't want to hold you guys up.  My boat ran well today, I just have to figure out how to get a couple more feet on her.

Revtro

Next time feel free to IM me.  We'd have happily made the effort to meet up with ya and say HI. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Langer

All I can say is WOW!!! I think I have a new favorite lake.... That is the best day fishing I have had in a long time if not forever. I mainly went along to at least see the lake and get a feel for it before the DK Open. From what I hear I was spoiled in the morning with calm water and nice weather. I was hoping for much of the same for tomorrow, but its not looking that way. Oh well, I guess I will just have to head to where I did the best today. I want to thank Tom for taking me out there and showing me around, it was very nice of you to show me some spots to try tomorrow.

Here are some pics from the Day, When we finally got into the Smallies I didnt want to waste time taking pictures.

Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President