Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:56:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Johnny Morris baitcaster

Started by fiker, January 28, 2006, 05:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiker

I am thinking of picking up a Johnny Morris baitcaster (left handed).  I've never known anybody that's owned one. 
I wonder about the two kinds of breaks, (magnetic, and centrifugal).  Do they really help on backlash control, or do they sacrifice casting distance.

Somewhere I heard/read that they are built by Pflueger.  True?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations appreciated.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Cheetam

I've never used one, so I can't say anything about performance.  But, in handling one, I can say they are very smooth, and have a nice finish.  But, they are a bit heavy for the price IMO.  Most, if not all, BP branded reels are made by Silstar, which is the manufacturer of Pflueger reels...
Jeff

blakstr1

I have one of the Johnny combos...its nice but the reel is a little bigger than I prefer..didn't realize it until I was on the water.  For the price, durability, and performance i like the Bantam Curado 100..small, compact, and super smooth...great all around reel.  I am also a big fan of the Quantum equipment, I probably prefer Quantum as a whole.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

smbassman

Yep, both BPS and Pflueger are made by Silstar as stated.  If you look in the BPS catalog, the Johnny Morris reel and the Pflueger supreme have the same braking system(with different names).  I have not heard any issues with the reels but I haven't tried them either.  I also prefer the shimano curado for the low profile reels, but I have not looked at the new version yet though.  It is more expensive, and a lot heavier than the previous curados.

blakstr1

i've heard the new changes for the curado are big..too bad time to go snatching them up on Ebay..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Savage

I have one Johnny Morris, and it feels pretty heavy handed to me.  It will cast a spinnerbait a mile alright, but it will wear you out over a day' fishing.  I use it exclusively for spinnerbaits.  I MUCH prefer a Curado 100, it's the smaller and more palmable verion.  Great for pitching and flipping.  I have pitched with the Morris, but only heavy jigs.  I picked up a Curado 100 the other day at Gander Mountain on clearance, like $105.  It was the last one, what a deal! ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

joshimoto son

I have owned both the BPS extreme baitcasters (the green one's with six pin centrifical brake) and the Pflueger trions (same model as the BPS extreme) I have found that they are only good for about 3 years of heavy tournament fishing.

After that, the latching mechanism (sorry for the lack of technical knowledge, the terms escape me right now) to engage the spool starts to falter. I have found two specific problems when they start to go... the first is that after the cast, the gears will not engage. Second, at any given time during the retrieve, the spool will just go free, this is really bad when setting the hook.

As far as the performance and feel of the reels, I really love em. especially for the price.
I have bought some Quantum reels and am entering my second year with them, so I'll see.
Just to let you know, I'm not talkiing about one or two, I've owned 6-8 of those Silstar reels in the last four years.

I'm sure that the Johnny Morris reel will hold up a little better.

Josh