Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:11:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Best Mono line/ or what to stay away from

Started by motocross269, April 23, 2007, 05:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

I did a search on here looking for the some good mono line reccomendations, but couldn't find much.  I want to get away from trilene XL.  I am sure everyone has their opinion, maybe it would be easier to say which line not to buy.  That would save me some money from buying junk.
I am going to buy some different spools early and try them out before the tourney season starts.  I have been seeing BPS excell getting alot of good reviews, but I am concerned with buying a discounted line.  Line is not the place that I want to skimp. I am very happy with BPS Flouro though. I am leaning towards Suffix siege.

thedude

pline premium and fluoroclear in 8lb test or greater is great line. Gamma is also top notch.

these are both co-polymers however.. not mono.... ;) ;D
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

motocross269

How do the co-polymers work on top-water and cranks??? 

Ryan

I have also had very good success with the P-Line Floroclear and it is pretty much the only mono I now use.  It seems to be pretty resistant to abrasion and doesn't seem to twist quite as much as other brands of mono I have used on spinning gear.  I generally use the 8lbs, 12lbs, or 15lbs test and all of them have held up nicely. 

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Floroclear and there is also a rebate going on now.  Buy two spools, get six bucks back.  :)

-Ryan

Revtro

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

1javelin

Tried Suffix and hated it.  Had to retie tubes 10 times to get a knot to stay.  It was ridiculous.  Love Floroclear, decide to try Evolution and Halo.  Think I will stick with Halo, and will probably go back to Floroclear.  Had some problems with the Evolution.
Live to fish, Fish to live.

thedude

i tried suffix for about 20 minutes... 10lb line and i must've broke it 30 times tying a knot or pulling it tight. i emptied the real right then and there and right back to some 12lb pline premium.

this was only slightly longer than i used vanish... 8lb vanish and i broke of 3 undersized (10-12") fish on a fluke in 10 minutes.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

OUTLAW

SUNLINE, SUNLINE, SUNLINE, If you guys have not tried this line you are missing the boat. I use 3 lines no matter what I am doing.

1- 65lb white Power Pro- flippin and frogin.

13lb Sunline shoter defier (mono) This is the best mono I have ever used-I put it on a shimano stradic 2500 and can cast a weightless centipede farther than I can with 8lb P-Line CX, and the Sunline is stronger than Heck. - Top water, and skippin docks.

16lb Sunline FC Sniper Floro - Stronger, limper, and easyer to cast than any other floro I have tried. I use it for everything else I do - cranks, jerks, jigs, and swimbaits.

You can get Sunline from Mikes RX, Backwatersonline.com.

Try it you won't be unhappy, It cost a little more but it dose last on the spool a lot longer.

Jason Ammerman

smbassman

If you want true mono - not copolymer - then excel is very good for the money but you should expect a huge amount of stretch.  Maxima is a very good mono and I have also heard McCoy's is very good.

I really don't use mono anymore as copolymer's and flouro's (Yozuri Hybrid(spinning), Pline CXX(baitcast) and seagur(spinning and baitcast) have suited my needs.  Well, except for the couple of spools of Shakespear supreme I picked up to fish on practice days

bshaner

Down south my partner and I lost 2 spinnerbaits and a chatterbait on 3 different rods spooled with Suffix from 3 different spools.  Brand new off the spool never been used.  None of them broke at the knot.  2 of the breaks were mid cast.  I will never use Suffix again. 

Maxima Ultra Green rocks.... nuff said about that.

I like PLine but I am going to be trying Seaguar InvisX this year.  I gotta tell ya, I'm getting very comfortable using that Maxima Ultra green even in my normal fluoro applications.  I'm getting very confident with that stuff.  My entire week down south I only broke off once on a fish and that was my idiocy.  I caught and culled 4 fish in 4 casts in less than 5 minutes, each increasingly bigger and was so tweaked I didnt retie.  I paid.

Power pro 65 lb for all my heavy cover/structure stuff.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

joshimoto son

Hey Jason OUTLAW,
I'm curious, why white Power Pro?
I use the green and love it, is there any advantage to white?

Joshimoto son ;D

MBell

A lot of bad line out there.  Seems like every year it gets harder and harder to find good line.  I like to use pline but it can go bad fast, especially evolution and flouroclear.  The most reliable mono I've found is bps XPS, the excel had way too much stretch for me. 
-Matt 

motocross269

Thanks alot for all of the good info.  I definetly know what lines not to buy now.  I am going to buy a few of the brands mentioned above and try them out during the pre-season.  I have been using XL for as long as I can remember.  I want to give some other lines a try.   I spooled up a roll of BPS XPS I bought today and gave it a few casts on a shimano baitcaster in my back yard.  It was 12lb. It seemed a little stiff, but it casted well.  We will have to see how it performs on the water.  I am going to also buy some Flouroclear to try on my spinning reels.

OUTLAW

I like the white because I can see it a lot better, I used A MAGNUM sharpie to color the last 2 foot black.

Skip Johnson

motocross most important thing is to change line after a few good uses.
I am a firm believer in trilene xt and hate the xl been using xt for 25 years and landed many many west coast toads on it,
the xt works well on spinning reels also as long as its changed out every couple trips,
I have done some garage tests with scales and files and xt and maxima seem to be the most consistentley strong lines.
my preference is 8 lb xt for my spinning and finese rods 10 lb xt for just about everything else but my picthing stick and a cranking rod I use 12lb xt or 15 lb big game and 20 lb xt on my flipping stick.
If your kinda a trilene guy try a couple spools of the xt before you get away from confidence tackle.
Go Big or Go Home!

Langer

Quote from: OUTLAW on April 24, 2007, 06:39:19 PM
I like the white because I can see it a lot better, I used A MAGNUM sharpie to color the last 2 foot black.

I read somewhere online that some guys actually camouflage their braid, It said they would wrap it around a cylindrical object and color sections different colors, like red, black, and green.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

bshaner

Quote from: Langer on April 24, 2007, 07:40:09 PM
Quote from: OUTLAW on April 24, 2007, 06:39:19 PM

I read somewhere online that some guys actually camouflage their braid, It said they would wrap it around a cylindrical object and color sections different colors, like red, black, and green.

In this humble reporter's opinion....  that is in the outer limits, not to mention a waste of time.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Langer

I agree, but none the less some people apparently do it.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

OUTLAW

What is a waist of time coloring it with differant colors. or useing the white and coloring it with a sharpie?

bshaner

The camo thing.  Utterly stupid in my personal opinion, but hey, to each their own.

As for coloring braid any color... it's not for me.   I'm actually going to be moving away from braid except for the heaviest cover, in which case coloring the line would also be pointless.

After the Tennessee trip I have whole heartedly bought into the theory that line color and line visibility play a big part.  I caught zero on braid the entire trip in heavily stained water and all my fish came on low vis mono/fluoro lines.  I'm not going to get into huge detail but I will say that using the braid turned the fish off in little to no cover situations.  So again I'll stick to braid in only the heaviest of cover and in that case line visibility shouldnt play a factor.

B

Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844