Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Best Trailer tire option and new wheels

Started by 21XDC, May 01, 2014, 06:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21XDC

I ordered new Kumho 857 Radial trailer tires that are load range "D" for my 14 inch single axle. They accept 65lbs of air and are speed rated 99-106 mph depending on the size. I bought new tires 5 years ago and have never taken the rims off since. The spare has never been off. Belle Tire did not have an impact that would break loose these rusted on lug nuts or spare tire bolt... After a lot of kroil and a huge breaker bar, they finally got them broke free... The stock wheels held water inside the center cap and rusted the lug nuts bad.... If I would have had a flat, I would never have gotten the wheels off or the spare... Just something to check...

Here are the new wheels and tires.

Rims were only $88 each http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/14-x-55-Intrepid-Machined-Aluminum-and-Black-Trailer-Rim-5-on-450_p_1169.html FREE Shipping.

Stainless steel center caps $11 each 3.195 in Straight Barrel Stainless Steel Center Cap Open End Plus Plug http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/3195-in-Straight-Barrel-Stainless-Steel-Center-Cap-Open-End-Plus-Plug_p_1005.html

Tires are the 205's that are the diameter of 215's...... $123.00 each plus shipping http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=0R4857&tab=Specs

Belle Tire charged me $10 each for mounting and balancing... I bought $10 in lug nuts, new high pressure valve stems.

I bought 3 tires, but only 2 rims. I kept the new spare tire on the original rim.

Most trailers will use the 195 Kumhos. These are the same diameter as the 205/75/14 and cost less than the size I bought.

In the pics, I only have 60lbs of air and you can see the sidewalls are not squishing/bulging like the load range "C" tires I used to have...  
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Big dreams

I have been looking for those tires.  Nobody carries them around here.  I checked all of the major tire dealers and they look at me like I have a cack sticking out of my forehead.  Thanks Mike!

thedude

i can top that. I have a set of good years i just replace after a blowout. I don't know how many 10s of thousands of miles were on them (had to be close to 100k), but they were 11 years old, purchased new as the original tires on my new boat in may of 2003. I replaced them with commodores (215s) at 85$ a pop.

this one finally had enough on saturday

while on the topic, during this flat tire incident, i found myself without a jack sufficient to use on my trailer. I normally carry my 3-ton floor jack in the back of the truck for just such an occasion, but had taken it out literally the day before to do some other work and not put it back. If you have a truck and plan on changing a blown out tire with your stock bottle jack, better think again... mine won't fit under the axle and is about 6" too tall. having a small floor jack would be a must-have for trailering. Plus you won't have to endure your wife's scorn when she has to drive 30 minutes into the boondocks to drop off the 60lb jack she just had to load in the back of her nice clean car..... ;D
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

21XDC

Quote from: thedude on May 01, 2014, 11:47:58 AM
i can top that.

I challenge anybody to top these tires... Just compare the specs to any you want. Most single axle trailers are over loaded from day one. Adding all the weight of the boat, motor, jackplate, batteries, troller, charger, batts, gas, oil, tackle, accessories, ......... And trailer weight... Is also carried by the tires. Add it up and see where you are.  ::)

Goodyear Marathon has a service bulletin about pulling faster than 65mph that most don't know about, Even the tire stores. >>> http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf

Trailer tires need to be replaced every 5 years>>> http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

Tandem axle is not so critical...
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

21XDC

Quote from: Big dreams on May 01, 2014, 09:16:25 AM
I have been looking for those tires.  Nobody carries them around here.  I checked all of the major tire dealers and they look at me like I have a cack sticking out of my forehead.  Thanks Mike!

The Belle Tire in Garden City has an account with Tire Rack... I assume your local Belle Tire would too. I let them order them for me.  Belle Tire didn't even know these tires were made. They are a Kumho dealer.  ::)  I had to show the manager on line that there really is a load range "D" in a 14 inch size. He has never heard of these and has been in the tire biz for 20 years...

Anyway, Try your Belle Tire, show them on tire rack under "Kumho", Then bottom right of the page.. No other tire stores could get them as there is a national backorder on them right now...
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

mchesney

I recently replaced my marathons on a tandem axle trailer with the Kumho 857s after much research on trailer tires....I've been VERY happy with them. Ride is noticebly better and I can drive 75 mph if I feel so inclined and not have to worry. If you're looking for trailer tires...these are definitely worth a look.

thedude

i disagree with the 5 years regardless of who is recommending it. depends on mileage. Kind of like the oil change place putting the sticker on your windshield that you are due back in 3000 miles..... as with anything, common sense prevails. I kept close eye on these guys for a long time, still had good tread wear and held air, no rot..... no reason to replace them. I should have replaced them end of last year, but was being lazy.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

The worst thing for trailer tires is NOT rolling them down the road once in a while.  If you let the trailer sit outside in the sun without being used, that's when they will dry out, rot, and crack.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Yeah... I will probably have tire and battery problems with I finally get my baby home. Maybe sometime soon with a borrowed truck since mines still dead.

I think I was always using Marathons but I may have some Coopers or something on their now? Not sure since it's been awhile since I looked. They worked well but I do have tandem axles. It's the bearing I was cooking off. I hope that is a thing of the past...

Good trailer tires and keeping them at the proper air pressure is a must. Having them on the axle correctly and keeping the at the proper tightness also pretty important. I haven't had a problem in the past getting my nuts off the wheels ever knock on wood.

I always have a small floor jack, a breaker bar and a couple lug wrenches with me. I used to be able to change a tire out pretty darn fast when I had too. I'm out of practice. I still need to add an extra hub to my arsenal as I've know a number of smarter bass boaters who always have a spare with them.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

Please post the brand/size/name of the tire you are talking about... I'm interested...  ;)
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

21XDC

Still waiting... I'm doing some more homework.  ;)
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

21XDC

Quote from: UAWBigDog on June 06, 2014, 09:42:21 AM
I bought my trailer tires 2 years ago at Discount Tire for $93 each. They were the same as you got in size and load but are Made In USA. I think the manufacturer was Cooper. I don't know if they still carry that tire. The other place I've bought trailer tires at were Metro 25 Super Tire in Livonia at Middlebelt Rd just north of 7 Mile. Chris, the owner, will give you a good price. Just tell him Bill sent you.

BD.                     ;D

I'm still waiting for you to check out what you have and post the brand, size and model they are called.....

;D
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

21XDC

Quote from: UAWBigDog on June 06, 2014, 09:42:21 AM
I bought my trailer tires 2 years ago at Discount Tire for $93 each. They were the same as you got in size and load but are Made In USA. I think the manufacturer was Cooper. I don't know if they still carry that tire. The other place I've bought trailer tires at were Metro 25 Super Tire in Livonia at Middlebelt Rd just north of 7 Mile. Chris, the owner, will give you a good price. Just tell him Bill sent you.

BD.                     ;D

PM sent a few days ago....  ???
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

21XDC

I was asking because he said same size and load rating as I bought.... Hmmm? I think not.  ;D
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Skulley

I have bought 3 sets of trailer tires for my "assets" in the last 3 years.  Pardon me for not having the proper information at my finger tips.  Answering your question was not a high priority on my lists of things to do.  I have a lot on my plate and as today is the 4th of July, I had some extra time while I wait for the swimming pool to open at 1000 hours that I could kill some time and check out the tires.  The trailer tires I bought for my boat trailer were Carlisle.  I bought those tires in 2011.  The size of those tires are ST215-70R-14.  There is no load range on this tire but it is for trailer service only.  The other two sets of tires I bought last year for my travel trailer except they are Coopers and they are 15 inch Load Range "D" tire ST225-75R-15 which is for a heavier trailer..............like my travel trailer.  Load range "D" tires are over kill for a boat trailer unless the boat trailer with boat weighs over 1870lbs.  My boat trailer with boat is well under that as I have a single axle boat trailer and only a 19 foot Champion Bass Boat.  If you got those tires for under $100 each, you got a heckuva deal.  Be happy with that.  I don't think you're going to get a better one.  I paid $110 a tire for the Load Range "D" tires for my travel trailer.  I paid $93 a tire for the ones on the boat trailer 3 years ago.  Now there is a place downriver, I think in Allen Park or Melvindale, that discounts tires.  I can't remember the name but the Police Commissioner in Allen Park is a close personal friend and he told me about this place so if any one is interested I will call him and get the name and the phone number or at least the name so you can contact 411 and get the number.  I will be a little more prompt when it comes to getting that info.  

Quote from: 21XDC on July 02, 2014, 08:04:52 PM
I was asking because he said same size and load rating as I bought.... Hmmm? I think not.  ;D
So yes, I did buy the same size and load rating.................for my travel trailer...........not my boat.    ::)

Quote from: bob o on July 01, 2014, 02:16:41 PM
carlisle's 14" 215's rated at 1870 at 50psi

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/radial-trail-rh

the coopers are 15" tires "d" rated,
http://simpletire.com/cooper-st225-75r15-88000-tires
Good info bob o.  Your info peaked my curiosity more and I went and checked out all the trailer tires on all the trailers that I own.  Thanks.

I was looking through the whole thread and my original posting is gone.  What happened to it??   :-\'  Oh well.........doesn't really matter as long as the correct info is out there and no one buys the wrong tires for their trailers whatever they own.  Have a great 4th everyone.

BD                              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

21XDC

Quote from: UAWBigDog on July 04, 2014, 09:26:31 AM
 Load range "D" tires are over kill for a boat trailer unless the boat trailer with boat weighs over 1870lbs.  My boat trailer with boat is well under that as I have a single axle boat trailer and only a 19 foot Champion Bass Boat.  

BD                              ;D

I don't like to correct you. You wanted accurate info for others to read..  If you add the weight of your hull, motor, gas, oil, batteries, charger, jack plate, power poles, spare tire/rim, tackle, troller, the weight exceeds the tire rating... BTW... That's w/o adding the typical 600-800 lbs of the trailer... Yes the trailer weight is also carried by the tires.... Most bass boats with single axle trailers are pushing over the load limits on their trailers...

So...... Load range "D" is very important on a single axle application.... Most trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph as well... I tow at 75 mph quite often and I like a tire that's up to the task.  ;D

Who wants bare minimum on anything.... Give me some cushion and I'm happier.  I could have a 90 HP on my 22 ft Bullet.... NAH!!!!!  ;D
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Skulley

For me, the tires I have are not the bare minimum. For you, the tires I have would probably be the bare minimum. Of course, you have a bigger rig that has a bigger motor that carries more gas. Mine is a 19 footer with a 150hp motor and carries less gas. I said load range d might be overkill however maybe not the more I think about it. You probably need load d tires. I don't. I don't have a jack plate, power poles, etcetera. I'm not pulling the same weight you are. I have overkill for my tow vehicles. I could pull my boat with a quarter ton truck which I do own however I also own a three quarter ton truck too. We all have different needs and expectations. I know this, having 2 tow vehicles will never keep me home. I'll always be able to get to the lake.

Got to compare apples to apples.  My need for boat trailer tires are not the same as your need for boat trailer tires. And that's the difference.

BD.                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

21XDC

Actually my 22 ft Bullet weighs a lot less than your Champ..  ;)

My friends that have 18-19 ft Strats, Bass Cats, Tritons, Rangers, Pro Crafts etc are all maxed or over loaded on their single axle trailers.... Your Champ is no different... Add your weight up and see what I mean.  ;)

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

21XDC

Typical 18-19 ft package...

Hull                   1600
Motor                  500
Batteries 3@ 60   180
Troller                   50
Gas                     200
Oil                        20
Charger                20
Jackplate              30
Spare tire/rim       30
Tackle                 100
Trailer                 800

Totaling            3,530 lbs

This is without power poles or anchors etc...  Many carry more than average tackle, more than 3 batteries etc

Your tires are supposed to have at least a 20% cushion in load rating... >>> http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

Load Range "D" tires are not over kill for these applications....  ;)

I'm not arguing or pointing fault in your post.... I am trying to help educate some that don't break it down like it should be...  ;)

You said you bought the same size and load range as I did in an earlier post... Those are 15 inch wheels and not the same size as 99% of bass boats with 14 inch wheels... I wish trailers had 15's to allow for even more tire choices that carry a load range that we need...

But in a 14 inch wheel.... I stand by my original post... These Kumho 857's are hard to beat for any bass boat...  ;D
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max