Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Shiawassee River

Started by turfndirt, March 24, 2014, 01:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turfndirt

I've recently gotten hooked on river smallmouth since they opened the Red Cedar on campus to Michigan State students. I've heard good things about the Shiawassee for smallies as well. I'm not from the Lansing area so I don't want to trek over there this summer. The Shiawassee flows right through my hometown (Fenton) so I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it. Any locations on the river that have produced for you?  ???
Sleep is for those that don't fish

stackenem

I know that there are smallies in Bryon in the river so I am pretty sure that they are all thru the river in Fenton also. Let me know when your in the area and we can put my canoe in and make a day trip. I live in Linden.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

Been a long, long time for me since I've been on that river but I went to high school in Owosso in the olden times. It was a mix of carp, sucker, few largemouth bass, some big pike, with mixed in smallmouth bass runs and holes.

A neighbor taught me how to catch a few bigger smallmouth bass from a few key areas. Rocky riffles were full of small smallmouth. It can be a slower river in that area but still shallow rock, gravel runs. I used to catch lots of smaller smallies right out behind the junior high school across from Curwood Castle on lunch break! (Wonder if the kids can still do that or not? Not enough schools where you can do that in my opinion!)

In my early, 'formative' years I branched out a ways from Owosso to find other stretches of the Shiawassee that held smallies and pretty much everywhere I found rocky, gravel riffles and runs I caught smallies. Some stretches held lots of little ones and other stretches held more keeper-sized bass. The slower, lazier holes I found usually had some pike in them.

I would say if you have public access of some kind to a rocky, gravel run area by shore, wading or canoe/kayak you should find a bunch of smallies still. Maybe there are more stretches with bigger ones now too like so many other places? I've always liked rivers.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

turfndirt

I'll shoot you a pm stackenem when I'm back in town from school. I've heard great things about the Shiawassee in the Owosso area as well. Have you been south on the river? I feel like the further away from the bay I get the less fish there are going to be IMO

lynxer

I live right on the river in Owosso.. We probably take 3-4 trips a month in the summer months up river north into the Henderson/Chesaning area. Lots of smallmouth.. north of Owosso.

Great fishing from a canoe/yak.. They have a nice new launch site just north of the VG's grocery store off north M-52 in Owosso.
(Left on first street after VG's heading north, follow it around.. will be on your left after treatment facility.)

djkimmel

That's good information to know! Is it just for small trailerless boats?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

I've fished it several times. Mostly in the Chessening area. Had decent luck. Fished it some near Linden with a little luck too. It's a nice river to put a canoe on and take an easy day.

lynxer

Quote from: djkimmel on March 29, 2014, 01:48:18 PM
That's good information to know! Is it just for small trailerless boats?

Trailer' less launch.

We have a few "hot spots" we stop off and fish along the way.. Feel free to drop a pm if in the area, always up for a fishing trip.

turfndirt

mikesmiph when you fished it near linden were you catching smallies? And where did you launch at?

mikesmiph

Yes, they were smallies, but we didn't launch down that way. We followed the shore, sometimes wading. It's very shallow in most parts in that area. We would catch them in the weeds along the shoreline. Nothing of any size, but it's always fun.

Coop

My brother lives right on the Shiawassee above the dam in Linden. He lives about 1000 ft before it opens into Tupper Lake. Obviously Tupper then flows into Ponemah. Ponemah is a great bass lake. Many different tourneys on this lake throughout the summer. Largmouths are the ticket here, but I have caught some 1-3 lb smallies in the Shiawassee stretch above the Dam until Tupper.  Texas Rigs are the ticket for me around the timber following the dam. Once you move up there are many lilly beds (frogs / Punching) work best in here.
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

djkimmel

Good and helpful information to know! Thanks! I forgot there's any connection there until I looked at the satellite images again the other day. I'm most familiar with the Owosso, Corunna, Vernon, Chesaning and up towards the Saginaw River, though it's been awhile to too many years to remember since I've fished some of those stretches. I barely recognized the Shiatown Dam area the last time I drove over there just to take a look.

lynxer

They took the shiatown dam out.. 2 years ago?

River is flowing really fast through that area now.

Still decent fishing before the dam..

djkimmel

Quote from: lynxer on April 04, 2014, 08:07:36 AM
They took the shiatown dam out.. 2 years ago?

River is flowing really fast through that area now.

Still decent fishing before the dam..

I didn't know that! It has probably been 3-4 years, maybe longer... since the last time I drove around to check out the scattered mid-Michigan fishing holes. I guess I'll have to take another road trip later this spring to check out what's what over there again.

Did they take out the whole structure and affect the drop, or is there still a high spot there with a little backwater happening?