Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

deep cranking!

Started by korean_bassmaster, March 18, 2014, 12:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I use a Skeet Reese Magnum Crank Bait Rod with a Revo Winch.  It's a 7'10" medium fast action glass rod. It works great for me, and I caught a lot of fish on it last year. I even threw the 10xd's with it last year. Almost effortless.

korean_bassmaster

Ok I'll try! Haha I'll keep checking both sites

dartag

BPS has Crankin Stiks on sale now.   Don't see a lot of crankbaiters on inland lakes.

There was a guy named Cheetam who was a crankbait guy.  I think he moved out beyond the Dune Sea.

jgip087

and don't forget to try "long lining" or "strolling" if you like fishing 20 + feet with a crankbait.  I've had awesome luck doing that, but 1 cast takes about 10 minutes!
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

bigjc

1) long rod is critical.
2) mh is important
3) I agree with Justin, that fiberglass is ideal

Has anyone tried the Strike King new deep series?

thedude

i used teh 10xds a lot this year. They are insane.
I got some LC SKT Mag DRs which are actually bigger. I'm still throwing these 3+oz baits on my 7'6" lamiglass fiberglass (MH) rod. I'd like a 7'10 i think, but the action is rite.

I've had some good luck including a giant inland smallie that i lost at the boat. Big fish eat big baits, don't be afraid to use them.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

bigjc

This may sound crazy, but I just ordered a Browning Silaflex, fibergalss, 7' MH rod for deep cranking, from BPS for 40 bucks.  I have an old browning silaflex 5' 6" pistol grip that I used to use many years ago, and it has an excellent parabolic action, so I figured why not try it for that kinda cash.  Worst case, I send it back.  I had a gift card to burn and was wanting a rod for deep divers, so we shall see.

gmetime24

I tried an all fiberglass glad for medium and deep cranks a couple years ago and didnt like the feel. I switched up to the bass pro shops cranking sticks for my medium and deep cranks and like the feel of those rods much better. I use a 7'6" for my medium divers and a 7'10" for deep cranks. Everyone is different with what they like to use, it just depends on how you fish your cranks and what fits you best

mike12

I use the abu Garcia veritas wench and it is awsome but broke the first one amonth into summer.they warranties it and haven't had a problem since good long casting rod with a lews reel 5.1 and I love it.it u look for sales they go on sale alot

bigjc

Quote from: gmetime24 on January 10, 2015, 09:51:11 AM
I tried an all fiberglass glad for medium and deep cranks a couple years ago and didnt like the feel. I switched up to the bass pro shops cranking sticks for my medium and deep cranks and like the feel of those rods much better. I use a 7'6" for my medium divers and a 7'10" for deep cranks. Everyone is different with what they like to use, it just depends on how you fish your cranks and what fits you best
I have nothing but good to say about BPS Crankin Sticks.  Excellent rod for the money, but with the resistance of deep diving rods, I prefer the action of glass.  For medium divers, my fav. rod is a Kistler 6'6" Medium action composite crankin rod.  Perfect balance of parabolic action and sensitivity, but just not quite enough rod for DD's.

Skulley

Quote from: dartag on March 23, 2014, 05:20:54 PM
BPS has Crankin Stiks on sale now.   Don't see a lot of crankbaiters on inland lakes.

There was a guy named Cheetam who was a crankbait guy.  I think he moved out beyond the Dune Sea.

You're right dartag.  There are not a lot of crank bait guys on inland lakes.  I throw cranks where ever I go whether it's inland or big water.  It is an essential tool on any lake.  If you're not throwing them, you should be.  There are always times where they will out fish any other bait.  It happens year in and year out.

BD                                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mojo

Man - this turns out to being one of the best posts and responses of 2015 ! What a wealth of information. To quote the movie 21 Jump Street:

"Now leave Korean BassMaster Alone ! He's got Korean S&it to do !"

Go to the UFS and get some cranking gear !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Skulley

One inland lake which you can pretty much bet that I would be deep cranking on is Lake Chemung. Chemung had steep ledges that make deep cranking the most efficient way of being productive. I like to throw Norman DD22's there as well as Storm Mag Warts. Those deep diving cranks will get down 18 feet on 10lb test. I use an 7 foot American Rodsmith Fritts cranking rod and a Lews BB 1 NG in a 4.4:1 gear ratio. The slow gear ratio helps the bait get down deep. I put some pigs is the boat doing that at Chemung. When it's hot out early in the morning buzz baiting those same ledges can be productive as well. It's a very good lake for honing deep cranking skills. If you can catch fish there deep cranking, you can catch fish about anywhere deep cranking.

BD.                       ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Skulley

Quote from: bigjc on January 09, 2015, 11:32:15 AM
This may sound crazy, but I just ordered a Browning Silaflex, fibergalss, 7' MH rod for deep cranking, from BPS for 40 bucks.  I have an old browning silaflex 5' 6" pistol grip that I used to use many years ago, and it has an excellent parabolic action, so I figured why not try it for that kinda cash.  Worst case, I send it back.  I had a gift card to burn and was wanting a rod for deep divers, so we shall see.

If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you for $40. I have several of those rods. I also throw small cranks on a shorter version. I actually have 3 lengths. I started using them when Browning was putting David Fritts name on them. Really like them. American Rodsmith now makes the David Fritts model. Still glas and still good crank bait rods.

BD.                          ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mojo

Quote from: UAWBigDog on January 14, 2015, 07:56:42 AM
If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you for $40. I have several of those rods. I also throw small cranks on a shorter version. I actually have 3 lengths. I started using them when Browning was putting David Fritts name on them. Really like them. American Rodsmith now makes the David Fritts model. Still glas and still good crank bait rods.
BD.                          ;D

I'll second the Dave Fritts crankin sticks for rattle traps, small cranks up to 14 fow. Just a WOW stick, and I was lucky to not have a single fish come unbuttoned with this rod.... Helps of course being taught how to 'walk your hookset back' when you hook a treble baited bass by Mr. Wagonsomer. Man he was good.

Big dreams

It is tough to "walk the hookset" rather than letting all heck break loose!  We all get caught in the moment and it is like a natural reaction to pull as hard as you can on the rod.

One thing I didn't see much on was "Deep" being relative to the lake.  Most lakes around Mid Michigan aren't much deeper than 20 feet.  Wixom Lake has spots down to 40 but I have never fished that deep and aren't sure if the arches on my depth finder are bass or walleye or cats.  The deepest I have caught them around here has been in 22' of water.  I would classify deep as being 15'+.

What do you guys think?

t-bone

I started fishing "deeper" last year. Deep to me is around 20-25ft. St. Clair summer patterns get me out in the 20ft range and inland lakes like Kent and Upper Straits is where I'm fishing up to 25ft.

Describe what you mean by "walking the hookset"?
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Manxfishing

Quote from: UAWBigDog on January 12, 2015, 07:25:58 AM
One inland lake which you can pretty much bet that I would be deep cranking on is Lake Chemung. Chemung had steep ledges that make deep cranking the most efficient way of being productive. I like to throw Norman DD22's there as well as Storm Mag Warts. Those deep diving cranks will get down 18 feet on 10lb test. I use an 7 foot American Rodsmith Fritts cranking rod and a Lews BB 1 NG in a 4.4:1 gear ratio. The slow gear ratio helps the bait get down deep. I put some pigs is the boat doing that at Chemung. When it's hot out early in the morning buzz baiting those same ledges can be productive as well. It's a very good lake for honing deep cranking skills. If you can catch fish there deep cranking, you can catch fish about anywhere deep cranking.

BD.                       ;D

Nice Bill
Only fish Chemung once and never really had plans for going back
But now I think I'll give it a shot again. I plan on working on cranks allot more this year
It's close to the house with a decent ramp

Mojo

Walkin the hook set, at the front of the boat, when you set the hook, I learned to walk back 2 - 5 steps while reeling fairly strong, but reel set to let drag out some. So I'm feeling how well I got him I guess in that first few seconds while making  sure I dig them hooks but good

Manxfishing

Quote from: Big dreams on January 14, 2015, 01:27:12 PM
It is tough to "walk the hookset" rather than letting all heck break loose!  We all get caught in the moment and it is like a natural reaction to pull as hard as you can on the rod.

One thing I didn't see much on was "Deep" being relative to the lake.  Most lakes around Mid Michigan aren't much deeper than 20 feet.  Wixom Lake has spots down to 40 but I have never fished that deep and aren't sure if the arches on my depth finder are bass or walleye or cats.  The deepest I have caught them around here has been in 22' of water.  I would classify deep as being 15'+.

What do you guys think?

I'm with you
If I see deep big Arches there Carp, Pike mark as a squiggly lines