Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:38:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

deep cranking!

Started by korean_bassmaster, March 18, 2014, 12:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

korean_bassmaster

Hey guys I'm looking to get into deep cranking.   I was wondering if it'd b better to get the med or med/heavy and 7'6"ish or 7'10ish?   Any info would b appreciated.

TimH

Get the medium heavy and go for the 7'-10" rod.  With deep cranking you need some serious backbone in the rod for when you catch a fish down deep.  Deep diving crankbaits also "pull" harder on your rod than a medium or shallow running crank, so its important to have a strong rod.  The longer the rod the better for deep cranking as well.  In order for the crankbait to achieve maximum depth, and for it to stay at the depth for as long as possible, you need to be able to make as long a cast as possible.  A long rod will help make that possible because longer rods have an ability to "load up" that shorter rods just don't have.
Also, you'll want to run only fluorocarbon line because it sinks.  Mono and braided line float and even though it doesn't seem like it would matter, it definitely does.

Waterfoul

If you want to get into it and not break the bank, check out Bass Pro Shops Crankin Sticks.  I have a couple and really like them, especially for the price.  They make several of the longer ones in a telescoping model, so they will fit in your rod locker or car/truck no problem.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

power is less important than action. I prefer fiberglass, MH 7'6".  they pull hard but the blank is going to aborb most of that. They make some good graphite blanks with moderate actions but i think they pull pretty hard. The fiberglass is well help you hook and land fish also.

these are good articles:
http://fishpaa.com/2014/02/championship-cranking-made-easy-part-one-the-rod/
http://fishpaa.com/2014/03/championship-cranking-made-easy-part-two-the-line/
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Manxfishing

A DD crank will over power a med
Your best with a MH, And like other have said the longer rod will help launch the crank
Powell & Dobyns makes some nice crank rods

There's a great book for Cranking called Precision casting by Mark Romanack
(he also did the Precision trolling book) it's out of print but if you find a copy it's a good read
It will explain why line dia. efects the depth, and how far you need to cast to get the baits to get the
baits down.

So what do you consider deep cranking? 15', 20 plus
And what kind of cranks aare you planning on useing?

korean_bassmaster

Ya I was thinking of getting the Powell endurance cranking stick and running 10# flouro. Ive been using strike ki g 6xds and Normans dd. Any other preferred brands?   I fish usually 15-20ft

Manxfishing

Both good cranks, you'll need the MH
The Norman dd22 might hit 15' that SK 6xd should go 17-18'
Rapala does have DT 20 that will go that deep.

I like the Powell, just a good solid crank rod

Dive curves are all based on holding the rod tip 2' above the water
And for every foot lower you hold the tip, you'll gain that amount
So if you hold the tip at the water line your 2' deeper, get on your knees and hold the tip 2-4' under water
you can get the cranks 4-6' deeper. so you can the hit bottom at 20'

It also works for running the cranks higher if your hanging up.

korean_bassmaster

Sweet thanks for the help. Now just have to wait

korean_bassmaster

Ne thoughts on the shimano crucial d. Cranking rods

Coop

Personally I have had great luck running deep cranks with a Shimano Crucial 7'7" MH Flippin Stick with an Abu Garcia 5:4:1 Revo Winch Reel. The nice thing about this setup is it also works as a great deep water structure jig or Carolina rig setup. Im a huge Shimano and Veritas / Veracity fan.
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

korean_bassmaster

What r the pros and cons of a low speed (6.3:1-) reel vs. A high speed (6.3:1+) reel?

BIGSHOW

thedude

the spro little john DD is my favorite. That or a fat free shad. I use xds quite a bit also.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Manxfishing

Quote from: korean_bassmaster on March 19, 2014, 07:42:49 AM
What r the pros and cons of a low speed (6.3:1-) reel vs. A high speed (6.3:1+) reel?

For me
I like 5:1 on the cranks
And i have 6.3:1 for lipless and jerk baits

The thought is
I'm never burning the the cranks, and the lower gear ratio keeps them slow (and I have a habit of going to fast)
The lipless I'll burn some days and the jerk baits the higher speed helps to gather line faster
I like 7:1 for jigs and frogs 
Just a personal choice or fishing what I have

Coop

Im also looking into possibly picking up a Revo Rocket 9:1 ratio. Insanity!! I think it would be an excellent choice for heavy cover or froggin'
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

bigjc

Quote from: Manxfishing on March 19, 2014, 04:48:49 PM
Quote from: korean_bassmaster on March 19, 2014, 07:42:49 AM

For me
I like 5:1 on the cranks
And i have 6.3:1 for lipless and jerk baits

The thought is
I'm never burning the the cranks, and the lower gear ratio keeps them slow (and I have a habit of going to fast)
The lipless I'll burn some days and the jerk baits the higher speed helps to gather line faster
I like 7:1 for jigs and frogs 
Just a personal choice or fishing what I have

My sentiments exactly. 

gmetime24

The bps cranking sticks are very nice rods for the price. I bought one a couple years ago and have no complaints. Right now they are on sale as well

Manxfishing

Quote from: Coop on March 19, 2014, 10:06:44 PM
Im also looking into possibly picking up a Revo Rocket 9:1 ratio. Insanity!! I think it would be an excellent choice for heavy cover or froggin'

I've seen 8:1, didn't know there's a 9:1 out there
Yea, that's crazy fast. If you pick one up. Please let us know how you like it

korean_bassmaster

So I'm between the Powell endurance 7'5" med/ heavy $199 or shimano crucial 7'6" or 7'11" $179 and dont kno what to do

Manxfishing

My advice
That's retail

Bass tackle depoit will be having another sale soon
There st. patricks day sale was 20% off, I picked up a Dobyns champion for 199 with free shipping (no tax)

Hang in there a couple more weeks
there sould be a Easter sale at BTD (plus there a sponser of the site)
They sell Powell, Shimano and Dobyns
With 20% off the Shimano is 145, Powell is 179 with free shipping
Dobyns has a 805 cb rm rod that was made for throwing DD22's it's a 8' MH

(no there's not)