Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:04:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Man made cover/attractors on public lakes

Started by UpNorthWolf, March 18, 2007, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpNorthWolf

Hello all (please excuse the cross post in habitat),

From the Bill Dance Fish Attractor to the everyman rocks and branches in plastic milk jugs, how many of you are into putting these in your area lakes to help in creating more habitat? I wouldn't mind putting in the effort if....

1. They work.

2. The DNR doesn't view it as littering.

3. People get all territorial about the spots (myself included).

So, what think you all?

Rick

UpNorthWolf

Disregard.

Someone on another board just told me it was illegal without DNR approval.

Rick

OUTLAW

It is only illegal if you put it is a navigational hazard.

bshaner

I couldnt say if these are illegal in michigan but I have heard on a couple of other boards that it's becoming very common in other states.  I've heard that some pros will do it months before tournaments.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

motocross269

I can't believe the DNR wouldn't want to monitor placing stuff in public lakes...If not you could have everyone and their brother dumping stuff in the lakes....And what is approved fish structure??? I have a nice old Buick that would call up some toads.
I just think it could get dangerous for people that use the lakes for recreation.
I am not trying to be a smart a## and I don't know what the law is, but I could definetly see how that could get out of hand.

MBell

I contacted the dnr a few years ago and didn't get an answer.  They said to call the field office for the body of water you will be planting in.  I never got around to calling them.  I would assume that if their was a straight forward law on this lansing would have given me an answer. 
-Matt

fiker

I also don't know if it's leagle but....
I have seen guys with Christmas trees tied to cinder blocks heading up the chain to create their own structure.
Chirstmas trees are supposed to work really well from what I'm told. 

I don't know from personal experience though.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

OUTLAW

xmas trees are ok but the best thing i have found is PVC and a bag of ready mix.

Durand Dan

Well, you could look at it this way. It's illegal to leave an ice shanty on the lake, to drive a car or truck in the lake or to put in a seawall without a permit. I would have to say that adding anything to our waters would be frownded upon. One you allow a christmas tree anchored with who knows what (steel, Concrete, lead), where do you draw the line? I seached the DNR site for some guidance but was unsuccessful. I remember reading something on the legallity of this in the last few years.

BASS FISHERMAN

Quote from: OUTLAW on March 19, 2007, 10:57:08 PM
xmas trees are ok but the best thing i have found is PVC and a bag of ready mix.

jason i was wondurin ifin you mix this ceement up befour puttin it in the watur or yous juss flop the whole bag in with the pvc pipes stickin out of it  ??? ??? ???
you fine the white pvc or the yelow color wurks bess  ??? ??? ???
maybee yous paints hur up black furst befour ploppin it in  ??? ???
juss wondurin  ??? ??? ???

:-* :-* :-* RANGERS BOAT RULE  :-* :-* :-*
i juss moves neer Belding on M-44 in Michigan USA
an verrie proud of it

Flippin222

The practice is very common in other states.  Best time to collect "brush" is in the late winter (1) wood is not dried out, easier to sink and keep in place and (2) easy to get to - fell during winter.  If possible use hardwood, seems to attract better fish - pines will work also my preference is hardwood.  Also, from what we found at my previous state of residence (Missouri), even with the best planning only 2 out of 10 brush piles planted will be productive - may be a little better here with the lack of wood in the water.

my 2 cents.

Jason
Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

djkimmel

Just contact the local MDNR Fisheries biologist for the area you are considering. It used to be that you just couldn't plan cover that would impede boating or be considered pollution.

I think it is more a policy thing now, maybe since more anglers are asking about it now? Some local biologists are more open to it than others. I've heard of one who consistently is against it. I will research regulations on this at some point, but it may be a while before I get to it.

You have to consider that weeds rule on the weedy lakes and the MDNR will be less likely to 'approve' your request on a lake with lots of cover. The results of the work will be less productive too on a lake with lots of cover already, but there are lakes that could use some more cover. That's the approach you would want to take when requesting permission to do it.

I do agree that you should get to know and work with your local fish biologists when possible. Many good possible returns from that.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Jay-MadWags

Anglers of southern resivoirs like Percy Priest in Nashville TN, make their own structure using brush, logs, PVC etc. because they have to.  Some southern resivoirs are not capable of growing hydrilla, lilly pads or other vegitation that bass may use as cover to ambush prey.

Now if you live in Michigan, you are fortunate enough to be surrounded by "natural lakes". So you shouldn't have to dump man made structure in some of the most prestine waters in this country.   Save those fish attractors for the boys down south.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan