Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone on the West side using Metro PCS for phone service?

Started by Waterfoul, November 05, 2013, 02:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

We're trying to lessen some of our bills and save some money.  We currently have Verizon and it's costing us around $160 a month for two phones, unlimited calls and texts (she texts a LOT), and 2G of data (which we've never gone over, close yes but not over).

I like the service coverage that Verizon has.  Not many places I've been where I can't make a call, send a text, or check the weather radar site.

Looking at Metro PCS's coverage page, I question whether or not I'd be at all happy with it.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

I can't help you with that one. How do you feel about Sprint?  They have changed their plans. They now offer unlimited everything. Data with no cap, text messaging, mobile to mobile calls, and now unlimited land line calls at any time. No more minutes to worry about. At least that's how I understood it. I don't know if you will find good service and a cheap price. Good luck.

Waterfoul

Not really looking for "cheap" just cheaper.  What do you pay a month for spring Mike?  Feel free to shoot me a text.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

Hey Mike, I know we don't get Metro PCS at the cabin. We too have been investigating phones. Smart talk at Wal Mart may be an option.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

gmetime24

I travel around the state a lot for work and we have had a few different carriers. Sprint and AT&T were ok but I lost a lot of calls. We now have verizon and that coverage is great. I know it's a little more expensive but it's fast and I can make calls almost anywhere

Mike S.

For two phones, it is about $160 through Sprint. But like I said, there is no limit to anything you will do with your phone. I was also told that the people who get on thiis plan now will always have this plan. So, if there is ever a data cap or a land line minute cap, you would be exempt. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, just stating the facts.

I hear a bunch of people complain about Sprint, but I typically don't have any issues. I have a dropped call every once in a while, but never often enough to be considered a nuisance. When I'm in GR, my service is awesome. What people don't think about is that when you hit high and low spots traveling, you may lose range of the cell towers. You will not always have service with any one carrier. It's just not a perfect world.

TimH

I don't have Metro PCS, I have Verizon. I will agree that there are very few places that Verizons service doesn't work.  While its a little bit more than other cellphone plans, I like knowing that more often than not if I need to make a call or get weather info, I can no matter where I am at.

Dan

If I remember correctly, when I was at Walmart, you can get a $50 a month Smart Talk plan with no contract and the carrier if Verizon. Down side is you have to buy the phone initially.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

Well it looks like we'll be staying with Verizon.  I'd bet I've been with the same cellular provider longer than anyone you know.  I have had the same number with the same carrier since they were Airtouch Cellular back in 1994.  In all that time I've have never had a customer service issue that couldn't be worked out.  That in itself is one reason I've never switched.

red68prostreet

Waterfoul,
              Take a look at the following for comparison.
www.republicwireless.com  I don't know anything about them as I have not taken the time to investigate.

I have you beat on the length of time. I have had the same phone number since 1987 with the same company Verizon. They were called Cellular One back then. I hate change and as you mentioned I have had service in some areas that no one else did.

Waterfoul

Quote from: red68prostreet on November 06, 2013, 10:19:45 AM
Waterfoul,
              Take a look at the following for comparison.
www.republicwireless.com  I don't know anything about them as I have not taken the time to investigate.

I have you beat on the length of time. I have had the same phone number since 1987 with the same company Verizon. They were called Cellular One back then. I hate change and as you mentioned I have had service in some areas that no one else did.

Yup, I think (don't quote me) Cellular One and Airtouch merged/were bought and became Verizon.  When I go to one of the kiosk's in the mall and the kids working there pull up my account they can't believe I've had a cell phone that long.  Remember the bag phone?  The brick?  Yup, had em all!

red68prostreet

You just brought up some past memories. I forgot about the bag phone. I had one and then progressed to the bag phone with the battery pack. It had a sling you could put around your neck. Must have weighed about 10 lbs. Then the brick with the long antenna like a walkie-talkie. Crazy time back then.

BIGSHOW

I'm not sure about verizon but what i did with sprint is pair up with my brother and added him and his wife to our plan. Its like 20 dollars extra per phone. So for 4 smart phones with 1500 min. unlimited text and data its 205 dallars a month. All land lines dont count,sprint phones don't count and nights and weekends don't count towards your minutes. We never hit 1500 min and my bill is as thick as a phone book with calls. Also free phones every 2 yrs unless you want a higher end phone. Maybe you can add a family member or trusted friend to your account and cut it down. We take turns month by month paying the bill. Also check for discounts through employer or bank/credit union.