Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:20:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

This could be you

Started by Mojo, October 18, 2013, 11:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Quote from: Mojo on October 18, 2013, 11:27:49 PM
Count to 5.  Go ahead. It's the time you have left on earth when you step outside your next hotel and see someone in your boat. You walk over, start to huff and startle the thief, and the ................. Your a memory.

http://www.wlox.com/story/23681047/jackson-motel-shooting-leaves-one-man-dead

How close does it have to hit home before you protect yourself? Think of your kids ? I do.

Its time. So my wife and I signed up for a CCW class taught by none other than our very own Revtro.

It's time. Go see Revtro, his wife is giving birth soon he'll need the extra customers too ! The law entitles you with this right, it's not a privilege so what's stopping you from training yourself for what could be the most critical 5 seconds of your life ?

As true to my words,  spent some very high quality time with my buddy and Revtro

http://concealedindetroit.com/cms/

Guys, Tom and his co-trainer are VERY good. I got to work with - ready - 7 different pieces, to determine which one, if I get one, is right for me. Next class Feb 8 and also Feb
22. Good luck gentlemen.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

huston

Great communication from all from all of you.

Manxfishing

Be safe out there

I owe over a dozen hand guns and I can shoot them
But have no plans to carry.
My thoughts are, If i need a gun I'm hunting or in the wrong place

If your going to carry
Please practice and do it some more.
Guns will kill people good or bad

Mike S.

I just took my class yesterday. I have to go to the County Clerk tomorrow and do the application, and then over to the Sheriff's office for fingerprints.

I bought 3 handguns in the last month. They are a new interest to me. They are also a ton of fun. We joined a local pistol club that has an indoor shooting range. My kids are even learning how to shoot.

I'm not going to carry every time I walk out the door. My guns are more for sport and home defense than anything. But I do believe that every gun owning American should practice their right to conceal a firearm if they choose, provided it is legal where they live. I am amazed at how this is taking off. More and more people are doing it now. Maybe the crime rate will slowly start to decline.

t-bone

I would be interested in hearing reviews about indoor ranges for target shooting. I've purchased a Ruger SR22 for plinking and want to be able to pump some rounds through it.
What are the best options to go around SE Michigan?
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

huston

SE Michigan has many options in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. There is a free phone app called find ranges that is helpful. Target Sports has two or three  indoor ranges, one in Royal Oak and one out near Walled Lake I think. All of them rent eye and ear protection, ammo and firearms. Action Impact is either in Livonia or Redford on 8 mile and Beech. Two people can share a lane for $10.00,1/2 hour or $20.00 an hour. BPS has a range but I don't care for the rules. Westland has a range I think called Firing line on Ford Rd. Madison Heights has Double Action on Dequindre near 13 mile. Island Lake  in Brighton has an Outdoor range. I just covered a few. Most want to inspect your ammo and  will not let you use steel case ammo. They really want you to buy some ammo from them, Buy your own at wherever for a better price.

Manxfishing

There's also
Shooters on 6 and middlebelt

I can understand them not allowing steel case ammo.
It's more or less armor piercing. And could be a problem exceeding the limits of there
back stop.

Mike S.

I went down to the County Clerk's office this afternoon. I filled out the application, paid the license fee, and went to the Sheriff's office to get fingerprinted. The Muskegon County gun board meets on the 18th of February, which means I should have my permit by the end of February.

Mojo

Good for you mike..... I haven't decided on the gun, striker fire for sure, 9 mm, m&p with safety or an XDs , I heard there is a 4 in barrel out now.... The ruger SR9 is right there. I can't  do the glock. no safety, and to have to rack one defeats the purpose of surprise and timing. I think I can practice and practice, and practice so I will be able to thumb that safety down when I draw. The grip safety on the XDs or XDm is near perfect

T bone, we have a lot of options to shoot indoors. Usually they like 2 to a range $20, plus ammo. They'll let you swap guns during rent $10 each swap, that'll let you try a few.

As far as different guns, i found the snubs, 3" subcompacts, (ruger lcp) were too small for my hands, hard to manipulate the slides etc... I really liked the M&p shield, the ruger LC9, but i moved up one more size- I think the 3.8-4" barrel single stack is perfect for Cpl.

Mike man that sure was fun to practice. We'll have to coordinate something around the spring when we get on one side or the other.

t-bone

I'll have to check out the Target Sports in Walled Lake, that would be the closest one.
I'm taking a CPL class in early March and want to have fired this pistol a least few times before that.

Quote from: huston on January 27, 2014, 08:11:14 AM
SE Michigan has many options in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. There is a free phone app called find ranges that is helpful. Target Sports has two or three  indoor ranges, one in Royal Oak and one out near Walled Lake I think. All of them rent eye and ear protection, ammo and firearms. Action Impact is either in Livonia or Redford on 8 mile and Beech. Two people can share a lane for $10.00,1/2 hour or $20.00 an hour. BPS has a range but I don't care for the rules. Westland has a range I think called Firing line on Ford Rd. Madison Heights has Double Action on Dequindre near 13 mile. Island Lake  in Brighton has an Outdoor range. I just covered a few. Most want to inspect your ammo and  will not let you use steel case ammo. They really want you to buy some ammo from them, Buy your own at wherever for a better price.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Mike S.

I have the M&P Shield 9mm, and the XDS .45.  I prefer the XDs.  Just for pure knock down power.  The only draw back is that the biggest magazine I have seen for it is 7 rounds. It is the exact same size as the Shield, but holds less ammo. It also costs about $150 more than the Shield. Ammo is easier to get for the .45 as well. 9mm is fairly inexpensive,  but gets bought up quick. I pay $47 for 100 rounds of .45, and about $27 for 100 rounds of 9mm.  Just a few pro's and con's.

huston

Wallyworld has the least expensive price for ammo. Cheaper than Dunhams, BPS, Gander Mountain. All caliber. If you don't want to drive, call the store. Remember bigger caliber cost more, weigh more too.

Mike S.

Oh, by far. The only bad part is that it is hit or miss, at least with our Walmart. That is the only place other than Cabelas that I have found 9mm.

huston

Saw some yesterday at Wallyworld in Troy off Maple, Federal Brand, (FMJ) 115 gr, $15.00.

Mike S.

Mojo

So here are my choices, i know whats too small for my hands, whats too big for me to carry. It's for conceal carry, and the grip safety is , to me, a great big feature.   you guys can chime in:

* 9  XDs 3.3 " barrel.                                7 r
* 9  XDs 4.0 barrel (in stores this May).       7 r
* 9 or 45  XDm compact 3.8 " barrel.                 12 r                 
* 9 or 45  M&P compact 3.5" barrel thumb safety 12. r

Willing to trade off ammo capacity for conceal comfort / thinner handle. 9 or 45? 3 or 4" barrel for better accuracy? Will it make a difference at 10 - 15 ft? What will?

Mike S.

As I have said, I have the M&P Shield 9 and the XDs .45.  I prefer the XDs. They are both about the same in size, but the 45 is a tad wider. You can also change the back strap on the handle of the xds, if it doesn't quite fit in your hand the way you'd like. The XDS comes with better sights right out of the box. I have a hard time shooting the Shield. I'm going to have aftermarket sights put on it.

Both of mine have the short barrels. At 10 to 15 feet, it doesn't seem to matter. I shoot 25 to 30 feet with mine. And do it pretty well. I also bought the extended magazine for the xds, but won't carry it that way.

As far as size for carrying, they are all relatively close, from what I have seen. As far as the 9 mm and 45, anyways. The exception is the Kimber Solo 9 mm carry gun. It is very small, very hard to get, and very pricey at $1200.  My dad ordered one and is on a 9 month waiting list.

mikesmiph

Doesn't seem that this topic has anything to do with fishing anymore. Maybe it should be taken to the free for all heading? Just a question, don't take it the wrong way. I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong.

Mike S.

It didn't seem to pertain to fishing from the get go. There was a link given to the story of the angler who was killed, but no talk of fishing anywhere. It was clearly about a cpl class and firearms.

huston

Wherever it's placed in the forum, it's a subject that a few people want a little input on. Move it if it's a problem. The more we communicate with each other, the more we may understand each other for what it's worth.