Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Help with reel maintenance

Started by 1javelin, March 07, 2007, 11:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

If any of you remember, I posted about the Rick Clunn BPS reel, explaining that I had a few problems getting it back together, not sure if it is going to work right or not.  Before I have any more problems, does anyone know a surefire way to take casters apart for oil and grease, and where exactly this stuff is supposed to go?  Are you really supposed to soak the parts in lighter fluid?  And, if any one has a maintenance sheet for the Tour Edition 7:1, I really could use it before I have any problems with my new kids.(I mean reels)
Live to fish, Fish to live.

REEL_MAN

I get this question asked all the time. First the reel should have come with a schematic, it helps but the detail isn't the greatest. You might go to BPS and see if you can get a copy.
When you take the reel apart layout the parts in the order and orientation. If you have to, make your own diagram. When you take out a part look at it closely, ie. a washer may have different surfaces or a bend. Most of the parts only go in one way, but on the other hand I've seen parts place where I never thought they could go.
Don't use lighter fluid, it leaves a residue, Coleman fuel or an automotive degreaser works as good as anything. DON'T use on plastic or graphite composite!!!! Many times just wiping off the old grease and using an old tooth brush to clean out the teeth works along with the degreaser.
Oiling and greasing is another area that can be over done. To much oil in a bearing will slow it down, to much grease and you get a mess and it will migrate and get into places it shouldn't be (ie.some drags need to be dry, some oiled and some greased).
The high end reels are made to high tolerances and it doesn't take much to mess up the feel or ruin the gearing.
Best recommendation - Take it to someone that knows reel service and repair. Spend a little, save a lot. ;D
Hope this helps,

REEL MAN

kgr624

I can't agree with Reel man more on the take it to a reel service place. I have all the quantums that have been made in the last two years and I tried cleaning them and going through them and those things are hard to figure where the hot sauce and grease are suppose to go. I have heard these reels are good for two years cylcles.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

1javelin

For future reference, anyone know a good repair and maintenance guy in the Southwest area?  D and R maybe? ???

Cy

I am going to ship a bunch of reels to REEL_MAN if I can find the time to get them ready to go.  He is going to go through them and fix what ever needs to fixed.  I also know of a guy up north of Greenville that does reel repair but I don't know his name or number but I could find it.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Dan

I just sent three baitcasters to Reel Man and he emailed me the day he got them and emailed me the next day to say they were done. For what he charges you can't go wrong and if you read his posts over the past year you know he's the "Reel Man" to go to. I am in the Grand Rapids area and my reels are going to him.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

1javelin

Well Reel Man, you just earned some more business.  Not this season, cuz everything except my piece Rick Clunn is good so far.  Maybe I'll send that to you and see if you can tell me what is wrong with it, and what exactly I messed up.  PM me and let me know how much you charge, where to ship it to, etc...  Do you use Hot Sauce lube?

matt

I won't dare take my baitcasters apart(for the fear of damaging them)...REEL Man how do we get ahold of you?

bassindivine

i also have a couple of reels that need some cleaning and oiling. reel man could you also send that info to me
MOTOR CITY BASS ANGLERS
www.motorcitybassanglers.com

1javelin

Maybe you should see if Kimmel will give you a link so we can get ahold of you for all of our repair issues.  Do you service all brands, or just some?