Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Pour yer own?

Started by fowlmouth, March 04, 2007, 05:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fowlmouth

Anybody here ever made their own soft plastics? If so, how did you get started, what does it cost, and how easy is it?

Cheetam

Buy yourself a worm pouring kit to get started.  Here's a good resource for you:

http://www.del-mart.com/shop/home.php?cat=254

I've always wanted to pour my own, and had a chance to pour with Joshimoto Son and McCarter a couple times the past year.  It's a lot of fun.
Jeff

OUTLAW

NO NO NO don't use del mart they are terible to deal with. I use lure craft they are great any time I have a question they are willing to help. If you want some info email me your number and I can help I started last year. I made over $20,000 on a bait that I make. The best part no one has them and no one can get them.

Dan

I haven't seen any of these secret baits for sale here? Maybe you could up your profits a bit. You got my interest. I always love secret baits.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

I'm interested in maybe trying a 4 inch grub. Have bought some in the past from a guy who makes them and adds scent. He has past away and haven't ever really thought of making my own, but I'm game to try. Could I get a mold for a 4 inch curly tail like a Kalins?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

MBell

Quote from: OUTLAW on March 04, 2007, 11:26:04 PM
NO NO NO don't use del mart they are terible to deal with. I use lure craft they are great any time I have a question they are willing to help. If you want some info email me your number and I can help I started last year. I made over $20,000 on a bait that I make. The best part no one has them and no one can get them.

Nothing wrong with del-mart, use them all the time. 
-Matt

OUTLAW

Quote from: MBell on March 04, 2007, 11:52:07 PM
Quote from: OUTLAW on March 04, 2007, 11:26:04 PM

Nothing wrong with del-mart, use them all the time. 
-Matt

It took 2 months to get the molds I ordered, I called every week and they told me that they were going to ship it the next day. Lure craft is the best.
I don't sell my baits. I make the molds my self and it takes 2 or 3 days to get them the way I like them and the way I pour the baits I can only pour 40 or 50 in a 3 hour time period.

When you do well on your own poured baits it is a great feeling, and when you win a tournament on them it is even better!

bshaner

You made 20k cash on a bait you pour 40 to 50 per 3 hours?  Please fill me in!! 

Del-Mart is where I got my stuff.  I've not had a problem.  I've only ordered once but I got what I ordered and it didnt take that long.  The guys I know who pour their own have not had a problem with Del-Mart to my knowledge either.

Fowlmouth, go to TackleUnderground's web site.  They have a pretty informative forum on recipe's and the latest deals and best practices.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Cheetam

Quote from: OUTLAW on March 05, 2007, 12:56:08 AM

It took 2 months to get the molds I ordered, I called every week and they told me that they were going to ship it the next day....

Was this a custom mold?
Jeff

Revtro

I want to get into pouring.  I checked out LureCraft and their molds are so much cheaper, there must be something up.  My guess is that they are plastic molds instead of metal???  Why so much cheaper?

I looked at the kit they sell, but I mostly want to pour Senko type worms.  So here's what I figured I need.  Is this correct?

Mold
Liquid Colors
Glitter
Softener
Extra soft plastic formula
Pouring Pan

I assume some guys put the pan directly onto a hot plate to melt the plastic??  I've heard of using a microwave too, but I'm not sure I want to go out and buy another microwave just for this.  A hotplate is cheaper.  Once I get what I need, who wants to come over for an afternoon and teach me to pour some baits?   ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

McCarter

I will come over Rev.  I am still learning myself, but i will offer any help i can. 

Pouring is fun.  But it can be very veeeeeeeeeeery frustrating at the same time.  Trying to come up with colors can be very difficult.  Even with the recipes offered online, its still a crap shoot.  Replicating colors time after time is difficult, too.  You can always get them close, but to be exactly on isnt easy.

Another thing is, there is a very fine line between heating your plastic up to optimum pouring temperature and scorching it to the bottom of the pan.  You really have to take your time when you get started and pay close attention to where you have your heat set on the hot plate.  I have scorched a few pots so far.  sometimes that actually helps to make an interesting color, but more often than not, it just ruins a cup of plastic and all the other goodies in there.

Bubbles are another nuisance.  You have to be careful how you stir the goodies or you will force a lot of air into the mix.  the bubbles show up in the baits and make them look like crapola. 

there are some good websites to get info and tips on.  tackleunderground.com and del-mart.com are both great.  I highly reccomend del-mart for your stick molds.  he makes them very nice.  and they are out of al,uminum and come with a lifetime warranty.  stick with aluminum molds whenever you can.  you get a more consitant pour.

another good mold guy is bob at bobstackleshack.com.   i ordered a custum goby mold from him, and as it turned out, it wasnt deep enough.  i called him up and he is making me a new one with my changed dimensions...................FOR FREE.  no extra charge.  cant beat that.  i screwed up and he is taking care of me.  we are working on a custom beaver mold right now.  its basically his split tail bug with a couple changes that i have requested.  it should be that cats meow, or even the bees knees when its done. 

I will also get you some good links to some color recipes once you get yor stuff.

McCarter himself :-\'

Berkley

Excellent Post! I have been wanting to take a stab at this for a while. Anybody have any info on making the mold or sending the mold in to be made?

Thanks!

MBell

A microwave is worth it.  When you burn the plasitc it is supposed to be very bad for you.  You can also make good molds out of durhams water putty.  The lure craft molds are plastic, the del-mart molds are aluminum.  They both make great baits but the aluminums will last forever and have a high resale value on ebay.  Anyone else notice lurecraft is owned poorboys baits and they sell molds of everyone elses bait but not their own.   
-Matt

bshaner

That would explain why Lurecraft molds are cheaper.  I'd definately go with aluminum.

You can buy a hot plate at meijer's for 9 bucks.  Works just fine.  I havent tried the microwave yet.

Bubbles are the devil!!  And  yet so mesmerizing!!

McCarter, how much did Bob charge you to do a custom mold?

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

joshimoto son

To all my pouring aprentices out there... you know who you are.
You make your master proud!

...you have retained much knowledge.

Now quick! Snatch the goby from my hand! [Insert cheesy GONG]

joshimoto son ;D

McCarter

Quote from: bshaner on March 05, 2007, 03:39:39 PM
McCarter, how much did Bob charge you to do a custom mold?

B

$40 for the goby.  its a one piece, 3 cavity aluminum and its 'snice'.

We havent talked price for the beaver yet.  But its a 2 piece, 2 cavity mold and from what i have told him that i want done with it, he says it will be easier for him to make it to my specs rather than the way he is making them now.  so maybe i can get a discount on it.  dunno.  But i think he charges $95 for the beaver mold as it is now.

MIBassKid

Do you need alot of time to make these?? I want to start pouring but time is an issue, do they take a long time?
-Kid

smbassman

You guys are killing me!!!  I have spent the last two years building an addition on my house.  I am almost done with all my trim and then have to lay 600sq ft of laminate flooring before the ice melts!!  Now you guys already have me planning next winters project.  A workshop in my basement for building rods and now pouring plastics.  I need some of these hand poured stick baits for this season though.  Anyone selling?  I use the Senko specifically because it is the only one I ever found that wiggles as it falls, now you tell me the hand pours wiggle more.  I want them!!!!!

McCarter

Pouring does take some time.  Its nothing for me to spend 6 hours in a freezing cold garage to make 30 friggin 5" stick baits.  But alas, i am still working out all the bugs.  then there was the time i forgot to plug in the hot plate.  that was pretty funny.  here i am, stirring, adding color, waiting, waiting, waiting, next thing i know, im out of beer and my plastic is still 40 degrees.

When you first start out, it takes a while.  Mainly when you are trying to get a color right.  You add a little of this, a little more of that.  pour one, its not right, cut it up and put it back in the pot, wait for it to melt, add a little more of this, maybe try adding some of that to spice it up, pour one, its not right, cut it up and put it back in the pot, wait for it to melt, add a little more of this, a little more of that, drive to CVS for more beer, etc.

Getting recipes right is the hardest part.  Once you get a few right, it starts to go pretty fast.  When i go out to joshimotos, we do some serious production.  he has the master color recipe book, tho.  and he has been doing it for a long time, so he gets to getting it on with the quickness.  I am getting alot fast now.  I have a few colors just the way i want them.  I am always trying new things tho, i have come up with some cool stuff.  I am still working out a few bugs on a color i think will be a hit.  its gonne be called 'mean pumpkin'.  Looks like a winner.

My biggest problem is finding time.  If your going to do it, you are going to do it for a couple hours minimum.  But then again, i am trying to build up an inventory so i can keep my faithful supporters supplied all season.

Its fun.  But it is a lot of work.  But nothing in the world feels better than catching a big ol fish on something you made yourself.

smbassman,

I will hook you up with some baits.  let me know what colors you like and i will get them to you.  You can fish with them and base your decision on hand pours then.  If you like them, we can do some business.  if not, there are always the yamamotos. ;D

smbassman

Well, my two favorite colors are a medium green with mostly red and some silver flake and a dark green with purple and copper flake.
I'll buy them but I am going to try and make it to the DK St.Clair open to meet some of you.  I'll talk to you about them then!

So can you melt production plastics also and re-pour them???  Also, are salt content and other flavors part of the recipes?  I always thought the stick baits had to be injected to get the density right???