Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Rod Comparison

Started by Big dreams, September 04, 2013, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I am reviewing rods for a future purchase and have to ask... What is the difference between the Payara and the Stealth series rods.  Also, how do they compare to the XLH70 and RP?  Lastly, how much extra is it for the carbon handles compared to cork?

Thanks

Big dreams

I found the answer to the carbon handle.  Thanks

djkimmel

Stealth Series Custom Graphite Fishing Rods feature 78 Million high modulus, unidirectional high strain graphite, TiTech KV filament weave in the rear, added strength and power, extremely light weight, ultra sensitive, great lifting power and control, titanium nitrite guides, fixed graphite cushioned seat, AA cork grips, epoxy thread finished wraps. Made in the USA and has a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

The Payara Series was designed by Jim Grandt, President of Grandt Industries, Inc. for 2012 / 2013 to offer something extremely special to the rod industry. High Modulus Hi Strain Material in a deep gloss burgundy finish, with increased hoop strength manufacturing technique reducing rod weight and increasing rod sensitivity. This exclusive technology and design by Grandt Industries Inc. is available in models from 5'6 thru 7'6, in all the popular weights and actions in the Payara Series or Payara Reserve Power Series with KV material as an option. Co Bonding and Special blending of materials in the rear section of the rod blank increases lifting power, hook set and control without adding weight to the rod itself.

Matching custom burgundy splash reel seats were exclusively designed by Grandt Industries, Inc. for the Payara Featherweight Series. Guides with CNC machined stainless rings with stainless frames, compliment this series brought to you by Grandt Industries, Inc. The Payara Featherweight Series is 30% lighter than the High Modulus XLH70 or XLH70 Reserve Power Series, with even more sensitivity and power. It is available with optional Full Feather Weave, Snakeskin Inlay, Carbon Handles or Standard Wrap Design with AAA Cork Grip with machined Cork Composite butt cap.

STANDARD FEATURES
Payara Featherweight Series features the finest Super Ultra Lightweight components available to compliment the ultra lightweight technology constructed in this series by Grandt Industries, Inc. Each Payara Series rod comes standard with AAA cork machined grips, AAA cork lightweight composite butt cap, Custom matched burgundy colored splash reel seat, CNC machined stainless rings, set into black hard chroMd stainless frames with matching tops. Wraps are complemented with the finest silk matching burgundy colored thread with multiple sealed slow set gloss hi build finish, backed by our Industry Leading Lifetime Warranty, Made in the USA.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

I don't have all the answers yet, but I will find out. I know I have 2 of the Payara's and they are extremely light and sensitive. They were designed to be feather light and they are. I have a RP spinning rod, but both of my Payara's are casting. I will get with Jim and find the answers to what are the major differences.

Big dreams

Thanks Mike.  I would have assumed the Payara would be more expensive just by reading the descriptions.  When I noticed the price, I was thrown off. 

mikesmiph

The Payara and the Stealth series are basically the same materials. The Stealth is built to be stiffer. the Payara is much more sensitive.

Big dreams

Thanks for checking on that Mike.  I appreciate it.

djkimmel

I believe Dave 'MadWags' Wagensomer helped design the Stealth Series to get a light, sensitive rod that was extra strong so he could put a hurtin' on more of those bigger Great Lakes smallmouth bass. I can't always trust my memory but that seems about right.

I'm thinking we gave away a Stealth Series Grandt Rod donated especially by Jim Grandt at the first MadWags Memorial tournament when it was renamed for Dave due to his untimely passing.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

Correct on both points Lt Dan.

WillyC

Dan gave you pretty much all the details....

The Stealth and the Payara are based on the XLH70 rods, with 78 million modulus.  The RP, Reserve Power, has added material in the butt section for extra backbone.

The Stealth is a little bit stiffer rod with the extra Kevlar in the butt and upgraded guides.

The Payara has about twice the hoop strength to make the rod lighter and a softer action.  Also upgraded guides and handles.

All are Made in the USA with an Unconditional Lifetime Warranty.

Get a hold of Brian, Dan, Mike, Myself or any others with these incredible rods and handle or test them out; or, go to the Grandt Rods booth at any of the shows they display at.  Jim told me the other day that they will be in Grand Rapids in March of 2014.

Big dreams

Thanks WillyC,
I will be in the market for at least one new rod for this coming up year as I told Mike.  I want to get a short casting rod for dock fishing.  I was thinking for that one I would get the XLH70 in the 5'6" or 6'.  The other that I might get as well will be either a Stealth or a Payara for worm fishing.  From the sounds of it, the Payara has the superior sensitivity which would help greatly for worm fishing.
Am I on the right path with my approach?

mikesmiph

I used my 7' med lt for just that this past weekend here in Minnesota. It's amazing how you feel every little thing. Even a very light bite feels like a train hit your lure. You honestly can't go wrong. My next rod will be another Payara for drop shotting.

Waterfoul

I won that Stealth several years ago but really had no use for it (it was a short rod).  I donated it back to the tournament last year and we gave it away to a young man who fished with us.  I'm sure he gets more use out of it than I ever would have.

It seemed like a decent rod.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!