Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Here we go..flw limits walleye anglers to michigan waters

Started by motocross269, February 27, 2007, 08:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

FLW just announced that they are limiting FLW walleye league anglers on the Detroit river to Michigan waters..Hopefully they can get this worked out before the bass season starts

Skip Johnson

soooo much water on this side a guy could run out a full tank of gas each day, no worries!
yes its a bummer dont get me wrong but I secretley like it in a way, ooops I guess the secrets out :D
Go Big or Go Home!

motocross269

It is a lot less water that I will have to try to learn...The only bummer is I already bought my canadian liscense..I will still use it when I am not fishing tournaments.

dartag

heres the wording from the FLW site. glad they are looking in to it.  they even have an upstream limit.

Attention walleye anglers
Detroit River tourney boundaries affected by federal order

27.Feb.2007

Attention walleye anglers:

On Oct. 24, 2006, the Secretary of Agriculture issued a federal order aimed at preventing the spread of viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) within the United States. Unfortunately, this order prohibits the transportation of live walleyes across state lines from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and international borders from Ontario and Quebec, even if the fish are to be returned to the same body of water from which they were caught.

As a result of this order, FLW Walleye League anglers competing on the Detroit River March 31 and FLW Walleye Tour anglers competing on the Detroit River April 11-14 will be restricted to Michigan waters of the river and Lake Erie only. The northern boundary for both tournaments remains unchanged at N 42.22.326 8255.204 S 4220.089 8254.043, first green marker north of Peche Island.

FLW Outdoors is currently working with officials in VHS-affected states to have the federal order amended so that competitors in fishing tournaments can transport fish across state lines so long as they remain in the same body of water. If we are successful, artificial boundaries instituted as a result of the order will be lifted.

Skip Johnson

taking lk st clair and the st clair river out :o
thats not good at all why would they do that if theres already been positive fish in lk st clair ???

If they do the same boundry for the stren series I might not fish it and I will bet the tour guys will be upset as well.
Go Big or Go Home!

motocross269

Those north and south limits were in the Walleye rules even before the VHS issue came up.  I think they Restrict the Walleye anglers to the river because of Season and limit issues.....I really don't think they will put those restrictions in for the Bass tournaments.

djkimmel

Two different issues. You can expect all Michigan waters open for the bass events.

We'll try to get the rest straightened out if it is possible by bass season.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

grasslakebasspro

This story appeared on Bass Fan today...

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=2102

It appears it will affect our bass tournaments now on the Lake Erie and St. Clair if we cross into Canada.

Vic Cerabone

Unless something changes, yes it will be a very negative thing for our many of our tournaments.  I have heard that several organizations (FLW, B.A.S.S) are working with APHIS to find a solution.  APHIS is the section of the USDA that enacted the emergency regulations.  I have spoken with Gary Whelan of the MDNR about this.  From his comments in this Bassfan article, and in other places in the public record, it seems to me that he is on our side of this issue.  The problem is that the hands of the MDNR and other local organizations are tied right now.

I cannot sit by a let this go on without at least trying to make my voice be heard.  I have just recently written a letter to APHIS asking them to consider an exemption that would treat lakes as one body of water and not to base the fish movement ban on political boundaries (state, country, etc).  I have also contacted my congressional representatives.  This was at the recommendation of somebody close to the issue.  The bait industry is really up in arms about this and has their elected officials involved  There is no reason we should not do that same.  If you believe the figures quoted in the Bass fan article, the hit to recreational fishing could amount to 1.5 billion dollars.  Can Michigan really afford that?

If this problem really bothers, like it does me, I suggest that you too write to APHIS and your congressional representatives.  Please be NICE in you comments to APHIS.  Ever thought we disagree with their methods, these folks are trying to preserve our resources.  Name calling, etc won't get us anywhere.  These people have the power right now.

APHIS Contact: Jill.B.Rolland@aphis.usda.gov

Michigan Senators:

http://stabenow.senate.gov/email.htm

http://www.senate.gov/~levin/contact/index.cfm
NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details07.php?division_id=88

C-Sports Optical Pro Staff - Rx Sunglasses

OUTLAW

Whats the big deal? I for one am for it, I think it will make it a more level playing field. Lets try to keep our fish alive. Lets face it bass fisherman may have been the cause of the spred in the first place.

josh617

i believe vhs started in the caspian sea/ euro-asian part of the world and was brought here through the ballast water like so many other "great" introductions to the great lakes. that would be one heck of a run for a bass fisherman. ;D ;D ;D

OUTLAW

I'm sure if some of these guys could hold the gas they would try it.

Durand Dan

5alive

Got some info from BassHaven Ontario (Lk. St. Clair):

Ontario Baitfish Update.......Mar.17, 2007

Stand by folks.....we had meetings this past week with our Federal MP
Hon. Bev Shipley, a lengthy phone conersation with our MPP Hon. Maria
VanBommel, a long meeting yesterday with the Hon. Sandra Pupatello
MPP Windsor West Minister of Economic Development, and Trade Minister
Responsible for Womens Issues ........and a meeting is scheduled for
early this week with the Minister of Tourism, the Hon. Jim Bradley
MPP St.Catherines....

...there's some important info coming down the pipe, we hope, very
shortly.

Please be aware that we do not disagree with the briefing paper that
was recently delivered by the province's partner in all this,
Michigan DNR, to all stakeholders and affected government agencies,
including those in Ontario, both Federal and provincial.....and we
understand fully the seriousness of the VHS issue and fully support
their initiative to curtail the spread of this pathogen into
uninfected waters.

We also fully understand that there is NO CURE for VHS once it enters
a body of water.

We fully understand that any legislative decision should be based on
up-to-date science and not a knee jerk reaction.

We also fully understand that this is an alleged ballast water issue
that the bait and sportfishing industry is solely being held
accountable for, and as such, is seriously jeopardizing the
livleyhoods AND way of life of a large number of people on both sides
of this immediate border, not to mention the impact on the Tourism,
Fishing Tackle and Marine Trade Industries plus Government Tax
coffers.

We fully understand that there is absolutely NO RISK TO HUMANS from
VHS.

We also fully understand that VHS has been documented in the present
"INFECTED ZONE" since 2003 and new evidence may suggest possibly as
far back as 1988.

We fully understand that VHS has now been documented within 20 miles
of the Straits of Mackinaw in 2005 and is also currently being
investigated as the possible cause of a major fish die off in Lower
Lake Michigan earlier this year..

Here is a link to that briefing paper.....
http://www.basshavencanada.com/lists/lt.php?id=Yk8GDVsDWkoMUkwJUQU%3D

Here is the parent link that also contains a lot of up to date
info.......
http://www.basshavencanada.com/lists/lt.php?id=Yk8GDVsAU0oMUkwJUQU%3D

In the meantime we are asking everyone to contact their MP and MPP
...or their State Representative or Congressman... and ask them to
back a solution that would allow bait to be CAUGHT WITHIN THE
INFECTED ZONE, transported, sold and contained for use ONLY WITHIN
THE INFECTED ZONE, HOWEVER WAY THAT ZONE IS DEFINED.

Every gov't official we have spoken to has agreed, "off the record",
that the scientific evidence says this is the correct solution, but
the problem is that MP's, MPP's within the infected and buffer zones
are not hearing from anyone other than the bait dealers and they have
told us that THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU ON THIS ISSUE.

NY State is already modifying their legislation, effective Mar.15, to
suit their specific need, using the available scientific evidence.

The infected zone CANNOT GET ANY MORE INFECTED THAN IT ALREADY IS and
there is NO CURE, so the common sense solution would be to allow bait
to be caught, transported, sold and contained for use WITHIN THE
INFECTED ZONE.

As per the International Joint Commission, the Great Lakes Fisheries
Commission, the Great Lakes Fisheries Council, USDA(APHIS), Ag
Canada(FIA), DFO, Michigan DNR and Ontario MNR it is acknowledged
that once a body of water is infected it will stay infected because
THERE IS NO CURE.

It is our opinion that Provincial and Federal officials appear to be
utilizing USDA/Michigan DNR/Penn DNR/NY DNR etc. data such as test
results and DNA sampling to generate legislation, as there has been
apparently no known testing by Canadian Laboratories to this point.

Time is of the essence so please make the calls on Monday of next
week. We need you to get your elected officials involved.

COMMON SENSE SOLUTION-----allow bait to be caught WITHIN THE INFECTED
ZONE, transported, sold and contained for use ONLY WITHIN THE INFECTED
ZONE, HOWEVER WAY THAT ZONE IS DEFINED.

Below are the telephone listings of our local representatives
offices.........if you are from outside this area please refer to the
BLUE pages in your telephone book under Members of
Parliament........if you are from the USA and vacation in this area
please take a minute and make a call.......if you are from the States
of Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York or Maine please call your
State Representative and Congressman.

Federal Government....
Dave Van Kesteren MP Essex ChathamKent
Chatham-519-358-7555
Leamington-519-326-9655

Bev Shipley MP Lambton-Kent-Middlesex
Wallaceburg-519-627-4899
1-800-585-2640

Provincial Government....
Pat Hoy MPP Chatham-Kent-Essex
519-351-0510
1-800-265-3992

Maria Van Bommel MPP Lambton-Kent-Middlesex
1-800-265-3916

Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

MadWags

Quote from: OUTLAW on March 19, 2007, 10:55:07 PM
Lets face it bass fisherman may have been the cause of the spred in the first place.

That statement should be..... well ....... Outlawed.
It is an uneducated statement at best.
Not trying to be down on you personally dog, but we have to keep it real here. ::)
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Vic Cerabone

Whats the big deal? I for one am for it, I think it will make it a more level playing field. Lets try to keep our fish alive. Lets face it bass fisherman may have been the cause of the spred in the first place.

You are certainly entitled to you opinion Outlaw, but I've got to disagree with both your points.  Fish are migrating back and fourth within these bodies of water, that's a fact.  They don't care what state/country it is, or what laws we humans have made.  VHS and other invasive species have likely come here from the ballast water of freighters.  Michigan has recently enacted legislation to stop this, but the shipping industry is now taking legal action against Michigan!

As for level playing field, it's level when entire the lake or watershed is open too!  There nothing stopping anybody from making a run, and fishing Canada does not mean running a long way.  The problem is that tournament turnouts are going to significantly drop if this law stays intact.  I am certainly capable of catching fish on the U.S. side too, but have spent years learning Lake St. Clair including Canada.  Canada makes up 2/3 of Lake St. Clair.  I fish at least one tournament on St. Clair every weekend, and that's not going to continue if they shutoff Canada.  I will probably do my tournament fishing from the Canada side.  There are a few circuits over there.

I agree that all fisherman have to do their part, and Dan has set a great example with the information he presented on VHS, and how we can stop it's spread on his site. 
NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details07.php?division_id=88

C-Sports Optical Pro Staff - Rx Sunglasses

bshaner

Quote from: Vic Cerabone on March 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

You are certainly entitled to you opinion Outlaw, but I've got to disagree with both your points.  Fish are migrating back and fourth within these bodies of water, that's a fact.  They don't care what state/country it is, or what laws we humans have made.  VHS and other invasive species have likely come here from the ballast water of freighters.  Michigan has recently enacted legislation to stop this, but the shipping industry is now taking legal action against Michigan!

As for level playing field, it's level when entire the lake or watershed is open too!  There nothing stopping anybody from making a run, and fishing Canada does not mean running a long way.  The problem is that tournament turnouts are going to significantly drop if this law stays intact.  I am certainly capable of catching fish on the U.S. side too, but have spent years learning Lake St. Clair including Canada.  Canada makes up 2/3 of Lake St. Clair.  I fish at least one tournament on St. Clair every weekend, and that's not going to continue if they shutoff Canada.  I will probably do my tournament fishing from the Canada side.  There are a few circuits over there.

I agree that all fisherman have to do their part, and Dan has set a great example with the information he presented on VHS, and how we can stop it's spread on his site. 

+1

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

motocross269

All you have to do is take a look at the trade deficit or a large port to explain the increase of invasive species and disease..You go to some of these port cities and the ships are lined up for miles and connexs are piled up 10 high..Shipping companies have not been held accountable for the damage they are doing to our eco-systems.  We are paying a price for all of those cheap imports....we just haven't realized the damage yet.
I am just as guilty and hypocritical as I am sure most of us are.....I love my Shimano reels and Lucky craft Lures.  But it all comes at a Cost...
When you write your congressman Don't just complain about the hit to tournament fishing, ask them to hold these shipping companies liable for their damage. 

SethV

Quote from: Vic Cerabone on March 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Vic- I agree with you 100%.

bshaner

Just read on another forum that this could possibly apply to loching through chains of lakes.

Is this true?  If so how would this affect Burt/Mullet and other chains?

If it's not true, disregard :)

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844