Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Crystal Lake (Montcalm)

Started by 32eml24, August 12, 2013, 06:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32eml24

I will be camping at Crystal Lake August 30, 31, Sept. 1.  I am not looking for any specific information as I realize this is a tournament body of water.  I have never seen the lake before and I love to plan before I go on trips like this so I have a few general questions that maybe some of you can shed some light on.
1.  I have heard both largemouth and smallmouth inhabit the lake.  Which of the two is more abundant and on average which is bigger?
2.  From what I've looked at, I don't see a lot of vegetation.  What is the bottom like?  Is there a defined weedline?
3.  Should I plan on a lot of boat traffic from pleasure boaters?
4.  What kind of weight do I need to catch to feel good about how I'm doing- lots of 2 pounders, 3 pounders, etc.
5.  Maybe this is pushing it but I'll ask anyway- should I begin my search shallow or deep? 
Thanks for any help you can provide and I will post a report when I get back,
Ethan

Waterfoul

The lake does have a decent weedline around most of the drop off.  It also has several sunken islands and a couple of points that often hold fish.  Largemouth outnumber the smallies by a pretty good margin.  Most of the tournaments I've fished there are won off the docks if it's sunny out at all, though I've done pretty well on the offshore structure and weedlines.  The north end of the island with the house on it has always give me a fish or 3.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

32eml24

Tried to pm you waterfoul but your inbox is full!!

Waterfoul

Quote from: 32eml24 on August 13, 2013, 06:28:07 PM
Tried to pm you waterfoul but your inbox is full!!

Keeps the rifraf out!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Eric

Over the last 18 years or so of fishing there, it has historically been a 7.5-8 pound lake for tournaments. Spring is better of course.  I did win one with over 10 last summer all under docks.  The smallies are present but very unreliable.  Best chance for them is likely in the rocky area in front of the beach during the low light conditions.  The weedy drops along the north shore have some as well.  Especailly in front of the new house with the blue steel roof.   There is a small drop and short weeds that grow from just east of the boat launch a few hundred yards south.   Right in the color change fish often hang out.  Hard to see sometimes.  Only about 6" drop and 2 ft wide strip.  There are some humps on the west end that hold fish.  Tons of boat traffic on the weekends.  Not too bad during the week.  Plan on frustration and small fish.  Big ones do live there, but they don't show themselves much.  Hope you have great weather and sack up some fatties.   If I were you, I'd drop shot buzzbaits around the docks. 
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

32eml24

I thought I was the only one clued in on the buzzshot... dangit! Thanks for all the info sounds like itll be interesting!

Waterfoul

Last tourney I fished there I think Bill Simpson and I had 11 lbs and winning sack was 13 (His were all dock fish).  I could be way off, it was a couple years ago.

Senkos, drop shot, texas rigged baits (beavers, worms, etc...).  Shakey head on those rocks Eric mentioned has given me a few fish over the years.

Mike

32eml24

Looking at a map I have to say im very surprised at the dock pattern, youd think the bigger ones would relate to all the awesome breaks! At least I have options and now I know what to expect. Thank u guys for all the tips!

Waterfoul

It's only about 2 hours to Lake Mac from there... so if the fishing is slow on Crystal.... you could always go there.   ;D   ::)  ::)

32eml24

I know mac is your favorite place to fish waterfoul but there are other good places too just broaden your horizons a little bit  ;D

red68prostreet

Someone please explain what is a dropshot buzzbait?

Waterfoul

Quote from: red68prostreet on August 17, 2013, 09:04:42 AM
Someone please explain what is a dropshot buzzbait?

Um.... it's a joke.   ;D  Kinda like drop shotting a crankbait.

djkimmel

Or Carolina-rigging a jitterbug... (though I actually snagged this rig on from the bottom of the Grand River in Lansing??)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

red68prostreet

Ok, you got me to bite on the drop shot buzzbait thing but to be honest it does not sound that far fetched. I figured someone let a buzzbait sink to the bottom then did a yo-yo retrieve and started a new fad. If you had told me you had some for sale I would have probably bought some. My wife says I have a problem as she thinks I have more stuff than BassPro. Keep it going cause you had me hooked.

djkimmel

You do have a problem. We ALL have a problem!! ;D

I can recall a number of times where a buzzbait that was not on the top caught a quality bass. VinceR seems to specialize in catching big bass on spinnerbaits laying on the bottom! Try that! Deadsticking spinnerbaits!?!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.